Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-24-2013, 04:34 AM   #1
foggydave
foggydave began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2 Kindles 2 Libraries ??

Hi

This question may have a very simple answer that I cannot see but I am not that savvy with computors. I have also searched in existing posts but to no avail.

My wife has had a Kindle for a few months and I have now decided to get one.

Our reading tastes are completely different she likes historical kitchen sink/poor/suffering/romantic type novels whereas I am more a Sci Fi/shoot em up/ fantasy novel person.

Can I have 2 different Calibre libraries on the same computor, ie one for me and one for the wife??

Thanks
foggydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:31 AM   #2
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
Yes, calibre can do exactly what you want through virtual libraries and a bit of extra work on your part. Virtual libraries are a relatively new feature, but basically they're a way of displaying only a limited portion of your total library.

You can do this with tags simply by adding "his" or "hers" (or your names) to each book; using both tags for books that by some coincidence you both happen to like. Then you could do a tags:"=his" search and all of your books, but none of your wife's, will be displayed; or vice-versa. You can save this search and re-use it (the field to the right of search) and virtual libraries (to the left of search).

Another way to handle this would be creating a custom column (Preferences>Add custom column) and entering something into the custom column. Once again, it can be his/hers/names/whatever works for you. The use of the search field and virtual libraries remains unchanged. You don't even have to use text, you could use icons (maybe a facial picture?) instead.

I would suggest taking a further look into virtual libraries, custom columns, and using calibre's search function. You could start in the calibre manual, or download an ebook version of the manual. There are also dozens of topics in these forums addressing each of these issues.

Last edited by Sabardeyn; 09-24-2013 at 08:33 AM.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2013, 09:00 AM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@foggydave

I would have two separate physical libraries - one for you and one for your wife.

I would even consider have two installations of Calibre Portable, that way you wont get in one another's way at all, with separate configurations, plugins, preferences etc.

It would also provide a better environment for learning from one another and give you each the freedom to make your own mistakes without the fear creating problems for one another.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:53 PM   #4
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
I wouldn't go Sabardeyn's route, because of what BetterRead said: you can make mistakes.

If you create two virtual libraries, everything is still in the same physical library on disk. If one of you makes a mistake, the other could get into problems. Even using two different libraries may not be ideal, as you may not want to have your Calibre set up in the same way.

Going with two installations of Calibre Potable, that each contain everything into their own folder, is actually a great advice.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:49 PM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by foggydave View Post
Can I have 2 different Calibre libraries on the same computor, ie one for me and one for the wife??
Yes you can.

I would never do it because using a single library with Virtual libraries makes much more sense. Only one library to maintain, only one library to back up, only one person needed to maintain the library and (to me) thinking that neither you or your spouse have any book tastes that over lap is hard to believe.

In my book having two separate physical libraries is a horrible idea, but we each have our own idea of how we wish to do things. What I think is a horrible idea other folks think is great idea.

The good news is whichever way you choose to handle things you can always switch to the other method in the future. Calibre is very flexible in that regard.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 09-24-2013 at 11:04 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2013, 10:59 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Flip a coin
Either way is doable.

In our house, it is just not His n' Her Kindles,
We have our own computers .
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote