Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-22-2013, 12:30 AM   #1
ethanbeyer
ethanbeyer is a marvel to beholdethanbeyer is a marvel to beholdethanbeyer is a marvel to beholdethanbeyer is a marvel to beholdethanbeyer is a marvel to beholdethanbeyer is a marvel to beholdethanbeyer is a marvel to beholdethanbeyer is a marvel to beholdethanbeyer is a marvel to beholdethanbeyer is a marvel to beholdethanbeyer is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Glo
Database & Read Count

Hello,

First post here, but these forums have been an immense help for months with my Kobo. Thanks to all of you in advance for that!

The issue I am having is mainly caused by some part of my brain that is totally OCD.

I created a shelf called "» Finished" that contains every book I've finished, as I finish them. As of this writing, the number of books in that shelf is 34. But my Kobo's "Read Count" is 31.

This drives me absolutely nuts, and I realize how ridiculous it is, but all I want is for those two numbers to be the same. I surged through the database for the better part of two hours yesterday trying to get to the bottom of it.

In the "content" table, there is a column called "ReadStatus", if memory serves correct. The column supports integers, but the only three values in mine were 0, 1, and 2. I'm assuming that 0 is unread, 1 is started but not completed, and 2 is completed.

I sorted by the column's values, and counted the 2s. 34 of them. Just to be sure, I looked at the titles of the books labeled 2. They are indeed the books I've finished.

To make a long story a little shorter, I looked at every one of the 34 books marked with a 2 to try to discern which 3 were not being counted by the Kobo.

...to no avail.

Would ANYBODY be able to help me solve this issue? I can upload my database, or whatever. Somebody please help so I can sleep again...
ethanbeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:59 AM   #2
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I think finished is only set if you finish the book by turning the last page. Could be wrong

If you use calibre you could try the Kobo Utilites Plugin.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=215339
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2013, 03:18 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Helen is correct. Books are only added to the read count if you finish it. All you have to do is somehow get to the last page of the book and turn the page.

The read count is taken from the Event table. It is the count of rows with EventType=5. When you finish the book, the row is added for the book, or if it already exists, the EventCount on the row is incremented.

The Kobo Utilities plugin won't help with this. It marks the books as finished in the content table, but it isn't doing anything with the Event table. I doubt if this will change as there is data in the row that I don't know how to create.

If you really want to get them in sync, the following query will find the books that you need to finish:

Code:
SELECT * 
FROM content c LEFT OUTER JOIN Event e on c.ContentID = e.ContentID
WHERE ReadStatus = 2 
AND ContentType = 6
AND EventType IS NULL
You can then open and finish each of these books.

From memory, a side affect of this is that if you delete a book, the above Event row is not deleted. That means, the device tells you how many books you have read and finished. But, the percentage finished is the count of books currently in the library that have been marked as finished.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:44 PM   #4
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
From memory, a side affect of this is that if you delete a book, the above Event row is not deleted. That means, the device tells you how many books you have read and finished. But, the percentage finished is the count of books currently in the library that have been marked as finished.
Well that might explain why my percentage finished went way up when I deleted about 1200 books.

However, from memory, it went to 38%, (this was on a tile on the home page)and I said to myself, Bizarre. I still had around 1500 books on the device and there is no way I read or even opened 500+ books since getting the Aura. Luckily I don't actually care how many books I read, as long as I have some more that I want to read.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:00 PM   #5
ethanbeyer
ethanbeyer is a marvel to beholdethanbeyer is a marvel to beholdethanbeyer is a marvel to beholdethanbeyer is a marvel to beholdethanbeyer is a marvel to beholdethanbeyer is a marvel to beholdethanbeyer is a marvel to beholdethanbeyer is a marvel to beholdethanbeyer is a marvel to beholdethanbeyer is a marvel to beholdethanbeyer is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Glo
Thank you, David! You are a genius!

Also, thank you so much for explaining that aspect of the Kobo library - it had always confused me, also. Just to make sure I get it - the Kobo looks at the total number of books on the device (total), the number of books marked as completed (marked) and the number of books with EventType 6 (finished)...

...so the library completion % = finished+marked/total ....right?

Last edited by ethanbeyer; 06-25-2013 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Realized a mistake in
ethanbeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2013, 08:46 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanbeyer View Post

Also, thank you so much for explaining that aspect of the Kobo library - it had always confused me, also. Just to make sure I get it - the Kobo looks at the total number of books on the device (total), the number of books marked as completed (marked) and the number of books with EventType 6 (finished)...

...so the library completion % = finished+marked/total ....right?
Yes, that is correct. But, I assume they do the calculation purely from the content table. From that, there is no way to tell if the book was finished or marked as finished.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:36 AM   #7
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanbeyer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Yes, that is correct.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:58 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

@tshering: I really should make some comment about being quoted out of context, but ...

Tags
database, glo, kobo, read count