Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-16-2008, 07:24 PM   #1
jacksonunit
Sand Bender
jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kindle1/iPhone/iPad/Droid/KindleDX/Kindle 3G/Kindle Touch/Kindle Fire
Screensaver Guilt

Is it just me or do you feel guilty looking at a picture of somebody like Charlotte Bronte on your screensaver then waking up your device to read whatever you are ACTUALLY reading. In my case, David Sedaris just now.

Now let's see... where DID I store that copy of Moby Dick anyway...

ju
jacksonunit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 08:44 PM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
My better half is constantly running into the den to show me her screen savers on her Kindle, its driving me nuts
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2008, 06:49 AM   #3
rationalbiker
Connoisseur
rationalbiker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rationalbiker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rationalbiker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rationalbiker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
No guilt whatsoever here.
rationalbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 01:18 PM   #4
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
No guilt, I just enjoy the irony.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:49 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Why does the Kindle need a screen saver? From what I understand, eink has no burn in. Plus, all it does it use up the battery.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2008, 10:52 PM   #6
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
I'm with JS. Sounds like an Amazon gimmick.

"But it goes to eleven."
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:54 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
I'm with JS. Sounds like an Amazon gimmick.

"But it goes to eleven."
Great movie! I loved This is Spinal Tap. A true classic.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:29 PM   #8
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sometimes, when new useless features are added to machines, or old features are given ridiculous pseudo-useful appellations, I suspect that a number of marketing geniuses (genii?) with absolutely no knowledge of humour or concept of irony watched that scene and thought

"What an amazing idea! We must implement this concept with all due haste!1" [onesies sic]
Old 02-23-2008, 12:00 AM   #9
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why does the Kindle need a screen saver? From what I understand, eink has no burn in. Plus, all it does it use up the battery.
It looks really cool.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 02:40 AM   #10
rationalbiker
Connoisseur
rationalbiker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rationalbiker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rationalbiker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rationalbiker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
Well, it's not so much a function of the screensaver per se, but when you activate the screensaver mode, it disables all the keys (except the alt and the font key). So the screensaver at least tells you "hey, your keys are disabled".
rationalbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 04:53 PM   #11
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's more of a sleep mode than a screensaver. I like being able to leave my Kindle on all the time just putting it to sleep when not in use or letting the Kindle put itself to sleep after about 10 minutes.

I don't have to worry about accidentally hitting any buttons.

Sure you can turn it off but coming out of sleep mode is a matter of a few seconds as opposed to booting up which takes a bit longer.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:03 PM   #12
Cthulhu
Technologist

I guess having that whispernet doodad, and a keyboard, require a bit of boot time. My PRS-500 takes about five seconds, but is more minimalist.

It took me weeks to realise that I could actively shut down the unit, which was nice, because I do not all ways bookmark, and hate dealing with the hardship of hitting one of the numbers and sending myself to some gods-forsaken portion of the text.
Am now much more diligent about bookmarking.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:10 AM   #13
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia

I also have an Iliad and that takes a long time to boot up and there is no sleep mode. The Kindle boots up fast < 10 seconds but I like leaving it on so that my content is pushed to me as it becomes available.