Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-15-2013, 02:10 AM   #1
Synthead
Synthead will become famous soon enoughSynthead will become famous soon enoughSynthead will become famous soon enoughSynthead will become famous soon enoughSynthead will become famous soon enoughSynthead will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 4NT
Flash original Amazon firmware to a Kindle (in native Linux, without Kubrick)

I don't want to run Kubrick in a VM to fix a "bricked" Kindle; I'd rather just run native applications or what have you to fix it. If it's CLI-based, even better. What can I use?
Synthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:05 AM   #2
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
It's in fact referenced in the Kubrick thread - see this overview: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=170929

Check out the "select boot" thread, too!
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2013, 03:59 AM   #3
Synthead
Synthead will become famous soon enoughSynthead will become famous soon enoughSynthead will become famous soon enoughSynthead will become famous soon enoughSynthead will become famous soon enoughSynthead will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 4NT
Is there a way to "Select Boot" without Windows software?
Synthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:17 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthead View Post
Is there a way to "Select Boot" without Windows software?
1) What O.S. are you running? Your original post did not mention that.
O.S. mentioned in the title, my bad.

2) There is no need to run Kubrick in a VM. In fact, it may not run properly in a VM.
Just run it on the bare hardware. Since it is a memory-resident (only) O.S. image, it does not matter what O.S. the bare hardware (was) running before you booted it with Kubrick.

Start by reading the original directions:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=170929

Last edited by knc1; 07-15-2013 at 08:22 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:38 AM   #5
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
https://github.com/aditya3098/imx_usb_loader
Its my take on the imx_usb_loader. Use the imx_tui!
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2013, 02:45 PM   #6
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthead View Post
I don't want to run Kubrick in a VM to fix a "bricked" Kindle; I'd rather just run native applications or what have you to fix it. If it's CLI-based, even better. What can I use?
Kubrick *is* a Mini-Linux distribution, which also includes all the required tools.

If you're feeling adventurous, you can just bind-mount the .iso and directly use the tools (imx_usb, k3flasher, fastboot etc.) from the "kubrick" directory there (but note that they're i386 ELF executables, so you may need to install the ia32-libs or whatever it's called). You'll also find all the necessary configurations and various scripts there (mostly in the "resources" subdirectory).

For more information, head over to the Kubrick thread and take a look at its source code, or do it the painful way and find all required information in the "simple debricking" thread. (Or use aditya's TUI).
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote