Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Announcements

Notices

Old 04-15-2008, 06:01 PM   #91
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
so, wait, no-one ever answered my question all the way back in post number 80.
Sounds just right to me, ZP. If they didn't go there, I'm not sure of the usefulness of the short fiction classification.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 09:23 PM   #92
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
glad i could help. not that i feel strongly about it, or anything...

now here's another question. i'm pretty sure i know the answer but i want to be sure. imagine i want to categorize "The Importance of Being Earnest" ; it's a play, and we don't have a "theatre" or "play" category, so i'll put it in "short fiction" and then add tags of "play" and "comedy". is this right ?
Correct

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2008, 11:41 AM   #93
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Young adult is a bad category. The term Young Adult would either be 18 or 21 and most young adult books are written for those a bit younger.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 11:53 AM   #94
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Young adult is a bad category. The term Young Adult would either be 18 or 21 and most young adult books are written for those a bit younger.
How about Youth? It is better and shorter.

Dale
Old 04-28-2008, 06:28 PM   #95
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
"youth" sounds good.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2008, 06:28 AM   #96
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Great work, guys. Special thanks to Dale for his fantastic Wiki work which we will use as a reference!

I am implementing the prefixes today. All new e-books uploaded will require to contain a prefix. Older uploads will have to be manually updated; since it's somewhat cumbersome to do so for thousands of books with the built-in capabilities of our software, I'll work on a solution that is somewhat more streamlined.

One last note: I will not include the catch-all prefixes Fiction and Nonfiction; it's better to include other specific categories later if needed.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 05:57 AM   #97
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Where would Alice in Wonderland fit? SF&F (it's kind of fantasy, after all)?

What about general fiction works which just tell a story, which are not really "action", nor "romance" or "mystery"?
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 06:27 AM   #98
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Where would Alice in Wonderland fit? SF&F (it's kind of fantasy, after all)?
Personally, I would put it under Youth, as it is also done by Amazon.

Quote:
What about general fiction works which just tell a story, which are not really "action", nor "romance" or "mystery"?
Do you have an example?
Old 05-01-2008, 07:41 AM   #99
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi Alex,
i tried to add categories to the books i've uploaded previously, i can't find how to do it. is it to be added manually ? or is there a dropdown menu somewhere ? i looked at patricia's newest uploads which have categories and it doesn't seem to be just a word added to the title. i'm sure it's something very easy and i will look like an idiot, but... i have to ask you anyway.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:44 AM   #100
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Do you have an example?
i beleive i do...

Voyage autour de ma chambre by Xavier de Maistre. I would have put this in "humor", but there is no humor category, however it really doesn't seem to belong in any of the other categories either. so i think "fiction" would probably be the best choice. i don't know where to put it, now.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:29 PM   #101
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
... the books i've uploaded previously, i can't find how to do it. is it to be added manually ?
I apologize I haven't explained it yet. It's not intuitive so I am going to write a small tool that will allow everyone to set the genres for his or her already uploaded e-books. Currently the only way is to "edit" a book upload's first post and then select the prefix from a drop-down menu appearing before the thread title.

When new e-books are being uploaded, from now it will always require the uploader to pick a prefix category.

Quote:
so i think "fiction" would probably be the best choice. i don't know where to put it, now.
Fiction as a catch-all genre could lead to books being buried away. As we'll expand the genre functionality, a user will be able to filter for the genre he is looking for. So if you're looking for Mystery books, books that are categorized as Fiction, but could just as well fit into Mystery, would not pop up.

Instead let's try if we can add one or two more genres if needed to cover most books.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:46 PM   #102
zelda_pinwheel

thanks for the explanation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
I apologize I haven't explained it yet. It's not intuitive so I am going to write a small tool that will allow everyone to set the genres for his or her already uploaded e-books. Currently the only way is to "edit" a book upload's first post and then select the prefix from a drop-down menu appearing before the thread title.
that's what i was expecting, but when i clicked "edit" and "go advanced" to edit the title, i didn't see a list for categories. is it not implemented yet ? i only have a few uploads, so i can do it by hand.

Quote:
Fiction as a catch-all genre could lead to books being buried away. As we'll expand the genre functionality, a user will be able to filter for the genre he is looking for. So if you're looking for Mystery books, books that are categorized as Fiction, but could just as well fit into Mystery, would not pop up.

Instead let's try if we can add one or two more genres if needed to cover most books.
ok, this makes sense. in that case can i request that you add "humor" as a category, because seriously, Voyage autour de ma chambre, i don't know where to put it. humor seems the most appropriate, since it is a parody of a travelogue.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:51 PM   #103
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Examples of books I'm not sure how I would categorize (not that these are public domain, but I had to read them recently, so I'm mentioning them here):

House of Sand and Fog
Shantarum
Disgrace

I might suggest a term like "Contemporary," but I'm not sure that would be any better than "fiction."

Erm... what about something like Sense and Sensibility?
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:51 PM   #104
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Examples of books I'm not sure how I would categorize (not that these are public domain, but I had to read them recently, so I'm mentioning them here):

House of Sand and Fog
Shantarum
Disgrace

I might suggest a term like "Contemporary," but I'm not sure that would be any better than "fiction."

Erm... what about something like Sense and Sensibility?
Sense and Sensibility is Romance. A lot of things about relationships between people can be romance. I finally put The Gambler in that category but I struggled a bit.

Dale
Old 05-01-2008, 08:01 PM   #105
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Sense and Sensibility is Romance. A lot of things about relationships between people can be romance. I finally put The Gambler in that category but I struggled a bit.

Dale
hmm... i'm not sure i agree with Sense and Sensibility in Romance... i know it is a love story (or several), but there seems to be a lot more to it than that (observation and analysis of society's moeurs, character study...). "romance" seems to have a rather specific connotation to me which i'm not convinced is appropriate. i could be wrong though ; it's not a genre i read so i admit i may not be forming the most educated opinion.

Tags
book genres, category, prefix, tag