Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-28-2007, 11:39 AM   #1
NamelessOne
NamelessOne began at the beginning.

Device: None
Best option for Europe?

Hello,

I have been seriously considering into getting a dedicated eBook Reader, the concept is definately very appealing to me.

However, I live in Europe (Sweden) and most of the hardware/content seems to be available in USA.

What are the best options for a reader device in Europe? I would say the single most important thing for me would be the availability of content, since most of the devices seem very similar hardware wise.

The Cybook looks definately interesting as does the Kindle, however the latter is only available in USA. Kindle looks like that it's going to have the best content due to popularity of Amazon. There is a lot of books on mobipocket but since it is owned by Amazon too I wonder what will happen with the future of that. Maybe the best option is to just wait more and see if Kindle is released in europe as well?
NamelessOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 12:22 PM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
I wouldn't expect Kindle in Europe any time soon. And currently you buy can Kindle books only with a U.S. credit card. Also, Amazon might claim the most titles but it's not necessarily the books you want (see here). So if you want the most content, I'd recommend geting either Iliad or Cybook and buying Mobi books from numerous retailers, or a Sony Reader and buying DRM-free or LIT books which can be easily converted.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2007, 12:45 PM   #3
NamelessOne
NamelessOne began at the beginning.

Device: None
What about the future of Mobipocket? Is its existance reliant on the company, or is it more or less independent? I ask this because since Amazon owns Mobipocket, it doesn't feel like they will push/support the format as they will want to push their own Kindle instead.
NamelessOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 12:55 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
It isn't as widely available as ConvertLIT for Secure LIT e-books, but there is a program to break the encryption on MobiPocket e-books. So if MobiPocket ever closes its doors we have a "plan B" to continue using those e-books on new devices (they will work on existing licensed devices whether or not MobiPocket is around).

Sticking with LIT for secure e-books is also a viable option for any of these devices, that way your "archive" version is already stripped of the DRM. However, there are probably more MOBI e-books than LIT.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 05:14 PM   #5
Tulkas
Enthusiast
Tulkas began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad, CyBook Gen3, iPod Touch, PB 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
..but there is a program to break the encryption on MobiPocket e-books. So if MobiPocket ever closes its doors we have a "plan B" to continue using those e-books on new devices (they will work on existing licensed devices whether or not MobiPocket is around).
That's interesting ~ I've got 100's of Mobi DRM'd books which I'd be really hacked off if I couldn't access in the future.
Tulkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2007, 07:58 PM   #6
ricdiogo
Gutenberger
ricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3
NamelessOne, I've recently ordered a Cybook Gen3 and I'm still waiting for it.
I've waited for more than a year for Sony to release it's reader in Europe -- they didn't. I don't trust Ebay for this kind of things and I don't like American warranties, by the way (90 days labour?!!!).
So I only had a few options: Iliad (too expensive), Hanlin (too obscure for me) and the Cybook (too of a risk since it's not old enough for getting a good batch of reviews online).
I've decided to take the chance, had a deep breath and ordered the Cybook, which everyone around here seems to say is a good device. I also trust Bookeen will enhance it's performance too.
ricdiogo is offline   Reply With Quote