Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-02-2012, 12:14 PM   #31
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billsuits1 View Post
The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Web Weaver
by Sam Siciliano

Available January 10, 2012 at Amazon.com in Kindle and paperback formats.

Synopsis:

When a mysterious gypsy places a cruel curse on the guests at a ball and a series of terrible misfortunes begin to affect those who attended that night, Mr. Donald Wheelwight engages Sherlock Holmes to find out what really happened that fateful evening.

With the help of his cousin Dr. Henry Vernier and his wife Michelle, Holmes endeavors to save Wheelwright and his beautiful wife Violet from the devastating curse.

A brand new, never before published addition to the Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes series. From Titan Books.
Is this a separate book from "The Angel of the Opera"? They have almost the same cover art, but when I clicked on "The Web Weaver" on bn.com, it took me to the page for "The Angel of the Opera." I couldn't find "The Web Weaver" on Kobobooks.com at all, but I purchased "The Angel of the Opera" for $6.15 with a Kobo discount code. I hope it's good.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:46 PM   #32
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
many years ago i read a Sherlock Holmes story in which Holmes and Moriarty were portrayed as time travelers. I was a teenager when i read it and undoubtedly have the copy still here in the stacks. I remember liking it. It might be that Moriarty was even involved in the Ripper killings some how....

ill do some searches to see if i can turn up the title and a synopsis on the internet
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2012, 01:14 PM   #33
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
well that didnt take long. its called, rather undramatically, Time for Sherlock Holmes http://www.amazon.com/Time-Sherlock-.../dp/1587150735
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:10 PM   #34
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
i don't know, but I somehow can't imagine Holmes being written well by any other author than by Doyle himself. I suppose I have a romantic imagery of the author and his characters *shrug* (in general).
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:22 PM   #35
flipreads
Connoisseur
flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
So far the anthologies that I enjoyed have been:

The Improbable Adventures of Sherlock Holmes edited by John Joseph Adams
http://www.johnjosephadams.com/sherlock-holmes/

A Study in Sherlock edited by Laurie R. King and Leslie S. Klinger
http://astudyinsherlock.com/

There's also novels like Laurie R. King's series, The Final Solution by Michael Chabon, etc.

Edge also recently released Gaslight Grimoire (http://www.gaslightgrimoire.com/) and Gaslight Grotesque (http://www.edgewebsite.com/books/gas...t-catalog.html)
flipreads is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2012, 09:44 AM   #36
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
While not quite Holmes himself, M. J. Trow has written some 16 books in the Holmes Universe featuring Inspector Lastrade.

He also wrote a radio play featuring Lastrade, "Exit Center Stage", which has recently been podcast on StarShipSofa in three parts, episodes 220-222 (these episodes also feature Cory Doctorows "Martian Chronicles"). There in an interview with the author in #222.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:12 AM   #37
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I want to read another "Further Adventure of Sherlock Holmes" Titan book after I finish "The Angel of the Opera," which is a Holmes/Phantom of the Opera mash-up. Help me decide, these are the ones that sounds interesting:

- "Seance for a Vampire" is a Holmes/Dracula mash-up. While I'm not particularly interested in Holmes stories with supernatural elements, I have read the original Dracula novel so no further research is necessary to enjoy this book.

- "The Web Weaver" is by the same author of "The Angel of the Opera," and I like that book so maybe I'd like something by the same dude. There's no literary mash-up that I know of in this book, unless Spider-Man shows up or something.

- "The War of the Worlds" has Professor Challenger in it (Sir Arthur's other famous literary character), which sounds like a lot of fun to see Holmes and Challenger interact. However, it has aliens in it and I haven't read the original Wells novel.

Last edited by tecweston; 02-21-2012 at 12:18 PM. Reason: fixed typo
Old 02-21-2012, 11:54 AM   #38
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Out of the Titan books you name, I'd say that Seance is better written, but WOTW is somewhat more fun, if you don't mind a bit of character-mangling. I haven't yet read the original (though familiar with the story from adaptation) and was able to follow and enjoy it well enough.

But overall, Seance is a slightly better done book and you don't need to have read Saberhagen's prior Holmes/Dracula mashups to follow the character developments. Which is probably just as well, since some of them are still out of print.

I think in your case I'd give a slight edge to WoTW since you seem more interested in Challenger than the supernatural.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:26 PM   #39
tecweston
Comic book artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
I think in your case I'd give a slight edge to WoTW since you seem more interested in Challenger than the supernatural.
Thank you, I think I'll get that one next. I have a MobileRead copy of the original Wells WoTW on my Nook that I think I'll read before I read the Holmes mash-up.

Another question, this one is about the Beekeeper's Apprentice series by Laurie R. King for anyone who's read those. I read the short story "Beekeeping for Beginners" and enjoyed it quite a bit, however my library only has the most recent few books in the series (from #8 up I think). The earlier books are all $10-15, which is a little bit more than I like to spend on ebooks. Can I read them out of order, tackling the more recent ones first before dipping into the earlier books at some point in the future?
Old 02-23-2012, 12:10 PM   #40
tecweston
Comic book artist

Well, I got a 30% off Kobobooks.com coupon, so I decided to buy another Further Adventure of Sherlock Holmes. But it looks like they only have "The Angel of the Opera," "The Peerless Peer," "The Giant Rat of Sumatra," and "The Star of India." Given these choices, I went with "The Star of India."
Old 02-23-2012, 11:09 PM   #41
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Whitechapel: The Final Stand of Sherlock Holmes
http://www.amazon.com/Whitechapel-Fi...056415&sr=1-19
It's listed as free for the moment.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:08 PM   #42
tecweston
Comic book artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Whitechapel: The Final Stand of Sherlock Holmes
http://www.amazon.com/Whitechapel-Fi...056415&sr=1-19
It's listed as free for the moment.
Thanks, got my copy. And since Kobo is releasing coupons all this week, I got "Chronicles of Sherlock Holmes" (collection of 5 stories) for 30% off, and the aforementioned "Time for Sherlock Holmes" at 25% off.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:07 PM   #43
tecweston
Comic book artist

About two months ago I emailed Kobo asking them if they had plans to add all of the "Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" books to their store (they had 4 out of 16 at that point, now they have 5), and they just got back to me saying that all 16 books are available in the Kobo store. But I'm still not seeing them. Are they only available in Canada?

If so, is there any way for me to purchase a book from the Canadian Kobo site, even though I'm in the US?
Old 04-26-2012, 03:27 AM   #44
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
The Final Solution by Michael Chabon and A Slight Trick of Mind by Mitch Cullin are both on my to-read list and feature an elderly Holmes in the 1930s and 1940s, though Chabon's book just calls him "the old man" and doesn't explicitly say he's Sherlock Holmes.
I'm reading this one at the moment. I'll let you all know what I thought. I'm not an afficionado however, so it will be a layperson view.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote