Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 06-24-2011, 03:56 PM   #1
Antioch
Connoisseur
Antioch began at the beginning.

Device: Nook STR, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
How to get ePub covers to display?

I've been editing an epub I have and the cover used to show up on my nook (the little dust jacket that appears in your library view) until I used Sigil to save the epub. Now the book appears as having no cover.

I'm curious what file in the epub tells the reader where to grab the cover image from as well as what the necessary syntax is. From dissecting my old epub file I can't really tell as there are so many references to "cover.jpg" and in spite of having copied these over from old to new, it still won't appear.

Thanks.
Antioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 06:46 PM   #2
sensel
sensel began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs350
I have seen this with some Penguin books.

The cover images were stored in the html files as inline svg data.

Calibre extracted the cover images OK but Sigil (HTML Tidy?) apparently cannot understand this format and removes the code
sensel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2011, 12:46 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You'd probably be better off asking about this in the Sigil forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 01:32 AM   #4
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
For the books that do not show the cover, I manually edit the OPF file by adding an entry in the manifest section, named "cover" and referencing the cover image:

Code:
<item id="cover" href="Images/bookcover.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg"/>
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 03:00 AM   #5
SamL
I mess around with Epubs
SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: mac, ipad, nook, kindle
Also make sure your cover is included in the metadata in your .opf file

Quote:
<meta name="cover" content="cover-image"/>
Threepress has a great article on covers in epubs. I've always used to to make sure my covers will display correctly. Follow all the code in it, and your cover will display.

http://blog.threepress.org/2009/11/2...-cover-images/
SamL is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert