Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 10-04-2010, 10:41 PM   #1
Adjust
Addict
Adjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel is

Device: ADE, iPad
InDesign direct export to mobi

Amazon has released a free plug-in that allows InDesign users to export documents and books to Kindle format. The Kindle for Adobe InDesign (Beta) works with InDesign CS4 and CS5 in Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS 10.5

http://indesignsecrets.com/amazon-re...gn-plug-in.php
Adjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:43 PM   #2
Adjust
Addict
Adjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel is

I guess I'm the only one excited about this?
Advert
Old 10-09-2010, 12:31 AM   #3
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Apparently... does anybody use mobi anymore

BTW, I know people eat chicken with their fingers, but I'd rather not watch. ... And I liked your earlier avatar.
And we have some members who are sensitive about eating chicken (poohBear and AprilHare come to mind...)
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:22 AM   #4
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjust View Post
I guess I'm the only one excited about this?
Potentially it is interesting to me, but I'll have to wait until our book designer takes the time to install it and test it.

If the mobi's look good out-of-the-box, it could be a great time-saver. But if they need as much tweaking as ID's epub exports do, it could be problematic.
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 08:16 PM   #5
Adjust
Addict

Yeah, good point...
Advert
Old 11-02-2010, 12:34 PM   #6
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Adjust, many thanks for this post.

I currently have an eReader (an iRiver Story) that operates on the ePub format, but I'm growing disillusioned with its shortcomings and lack of ongoing development, and am considering jumping ship to Kindle (even though I really don't like being corralled by Amazon). So I've started checking out the options for the .mobi format.

I've been using InDesign for layout and saving directly to ePub format (and then using Sigil to countermand some of the mindless formatting assumptions Adobe makes) ... so finding a direct option for creating .mobi files is exactly what I was hoping for.

Really appreciated, Adjust.
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:35 PM   #7
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Check it out, and let us know how well it works!
Old 11-05-2010, 02:51 PM   #8
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hello MacEachaidh

One other option is to keep on doing it into epub and then convert to mobi with calibre.

Another is to create an html file from InDesign (if it does create those) and use mobipocket creator to make your mobi (*.prc) eBook.
For this one you can check, per example, my today’s similar post about how to do it in: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...68&postcount=2

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:42 PM   #9
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Thanks for those thoughts, DDHariman. Really helpful!

I have to confess, I don't use Calibre, for a few reasons, and one of them is the the formatting defaults it uses that you can't then customise - obviously that's personal preference, but it's not just me being finicky. For instance, I dislike the full line break it puts between all paragraphs - I find it disruptive to the flow of reading, and it diminishes the clarity of the use of actual breaks in the layout. I don't know why it does that. I have worked out how to modify the file afterwards in Sigil, but it's a bit of a pain to have to do that to every file, and I don't know how to do it in .mobi or .prc.

Yeah, ID can create html files, but they're very Dreamweaver-centric and have some non-standard Adobe-specific tags. But I can also format documents and convert them to compliant HTML files with WordPerfect, so no dramas there.

Thanks again for your helpful suggestions!
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 05:30 AM   #10
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi

If you want to go the mobipocket creator route, a good place to clarify some of the more “deep” doubts that can emerge is: http://www.mobipocket.com/dev/articl...eFolder=prcgen.

Let me know if I can be of more help.

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:46 AM   #11
NewDay
Connoisseur
NewDay doesn't litterNewDay doesn't litter

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjust View Post
Amazon has released a free plug-in that allows InDesign users to export documents and books to Kindle format. The Kindle for Adobe InDesign (Beta) works with InDesign CS4 and CS5 in Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS 10.5

http://indesignsecrets.com/amazon-re...gn-plug-in.php
Good Karma coming for that, Adjust. Just what I needed, since my publisher wants me to do print, epub, AND mobi, and InDesign is my vehicle of choice. Many thanks for this heads-up. *karma ca-chink*
NewDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:43 PM   #12
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
An update to the plugin was released Nov 10.

http://www.amazon.com/kindlepublishing
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:08 PM   #13
st_albert
Guru

Is anyone actually using the plugin? Our InDesign guru wants to let things settle down a bit before she tries it ("The pioneer is the fellow with the arrow in his back"). But it appears from the kindle forum that the plugin has quite a ways to go before it will be ready for prime time.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:41 AM   #14
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Almost seems like a waste of InDesign. I guess there are those who produce the books first in better formats and want a simple way to tag on a "by the way" ebook file like mobi or epub.

I'd be interested in seeing what the output from such a plugin looks like though.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 02:36 PM   #15
st_albert
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
Almost seems like a waste of InDesign. I guess there are those who produce the books first in better formats and want a simple way to tag on a "by the way" ebook file like mobi or epub.

I'd be interested in seeing what the output from such a plugin looks like though.
Well, if you just want to create ebooks, you don't need InDesign at all (maybe PDF format is an exception). But we release most of our titles in both print and (many) ebook formats, so it is a big deal to be able to maintain a single master file for all edits, corrections, etc. For us, that's the ID file.