Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-22-2017, 06:42 AM   #196
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I have found in my testing that the new K4PC uses the split KF8 format for most regular books that include any images besides the cover, not just comics.
Oh, eesh! I was thinking of the books that have been in that AZW3/AZW6 split format for a while now. Those were comics, kids' picture books, etc. But they were delivered to K4PC 1.17 and for transfer via USB as single-file AZW3. For a long time you could only get them with the download & transfer method. Not sure which version of K4PC started receiving them.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 05:10 PM   #197
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I have found in my testing that the new K4PC uses the split KF8 format for most regular books that include any images besides the cover, not just comics.

For example this fantasy book with maps that doesn't have enhanced typesetting: The Dragonbone Chair by Tad Williams. (Looking further in this case the main .azw file contains low resolution map images and the additional .azw.res file contains higher resolution versions of the same images.)
Can the .azw.res file have the images stripped from it as separate images?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 07:08 PM   #198
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Kindles work when plugged in even if the battery can't hold a charge.
Excellent. Thanks!

Quote:
But really, if things get that bad, just stop buying from Amazon!
I'm just exploring all my options in case an Adobe and Kobo DRM Apocalypse happens at the same time that Amazon decides to discontinue download-and-transfer-via-USB
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 07:55 PM   #199
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Can the .azw.res file have the images stripped from it as separate images?
I think it is the same format as the .azw6 files seen previously. I don't know of any software that works with that.

It would be nice to have a way to automatically replace the low res images in an .azw with the high res equivalents from an .azw.res file.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 07:24 AM   #200
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I think Amazon is doing things in a half-assed (most of the time it's full-assed) way to prevent us from being able to do what we like with Kindle eBooks. There's no reason Amazon could not do all they are doing by updating the KF8 renderer and using KF8 as is.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:29 AM   #201
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
There is also no reason for Kobo to be using KEPUBs. AFAIK, EPUB can be used, an any extra or extended information could be put in a sidecar file the first time a book is opened. Same with Apple's iBooks, which are just arbitrarily extended EPUBs as far as I know. They''re all trying to create a walled garden that can't be escaped (by buying books somewhere else), or entered (buying books there for a different device).
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote