Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-19-2013, 05:29 PM   #1
Bricorn
Addict
Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG
DXG battery life

Hi, I'm out of ideas and looking for some.
My battery life is down to about 3 days.

Wireless is off.
I've reset to factory,
re-added my books and the .json file,
let it index over 1,000 books - none are stuck (yes 1,000 is a lot, there's still over 2Gb free)
deleted all collections with more than a dozen books in them, made new collections with new names, and added the books to them
no change.

I can put it down in the morning with 3/4 charge and be almost out when I wake it in the evening.

I'm left with replacing the battery - they're cheap enough, but I'm loath to do it without being fairly sure that it will do the job.

Oh, it's 2 1/2 years old and I've read about 500 assorted books & short stories on it.

Any ideas before I buy a battery please?

eBay seems to have a lot of DX battery sellers, but all the batteries look the same, so I'd just buy the cheapest - unless anyone thinks that's not the best idea (I'm in the UK BTW).

Thanks for reading.
Bricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:52 PM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
The battery is draining that far while it is asleep? It definitely sounds like the battery is coming to the end of its life.

The number of books loaded on it is completely irrelevant.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:27 AM   #3
psycholoner
Enthusiast
psycholoner began at the beginning.

If you just re-added everything, the kindle will re-index everything and eat at your battery for a while. That might have been what cause it to drain so fast 'afterwards', but I'm guessing you only did that in the beginning because the battery was dying anyway.

Nothing wrong with cheap. Just make sure you get it from a source you can trust and make sure its a genuine KDX battery. You want to avoid third party batteries if you can. There usually isn't anything wrong with third party, but from my experience they might have less capacity or give false readings on remaining charge on the battery.
psycholoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:21 PM   #4
Bricorn
Addict
Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, battery ordered. I'll post the outcome once I've had it installed for a while.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:22 PM   #5
Bricorn
Addict

Just thought I'd update this. New battery fitted, 10 days on first charge, 11 on second, probably about 15-20 hours use each time - and that's a lot of page turns, I read fast. So it was the battery. That's OK then, I didn't get the life I should have from it, but a new battery is minor.

Now, does anyone know how to re-set the battery meter? It's going from 50% charge to "feed me" in one go. Not critical, but it's useful to know how much charge is left.

Thanks
Old 03-22-2013, 08:54 PM   #6
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Hi. It is not required to reset the battery meter.

IIRC it simply calls up the gasgauge-info application that does not "learn" merely reports battery values as reported by the battery itself.

There is a basic battery report for KUAL if you would like slightly more detail.

Or you could just run the gas-gauge thing yourself via SSH. that's all the report does anyways.

HTH.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:00 PM   #7
Bricorn
Addict

Thanks, I'll just hope that it starts working correctly after a few more charges.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:28 PM   #8
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

is it an "Official" battery?

Sounds like it isn't emitting the information the scripts are expecting...
Old 03-26-2013, 06:12 PM   #9
Bricorn
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
is it an "Official" battery?

Sounds like it isn't emitting the information the scripts are expecting...
Doubt it, it came from eBay.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:43 PM   #10
twobob

hmm.. err.. I just dont know then,

I can tell you "thumb in the air" charge times for a near-new DXG.

if you have SSH access to the device you could run a few simple tests yourself and see what info the battery is splattering out.

The KUAL battery test might not be a bad place to start since that actually bypasses the need for SSH.

Hope that helps.