Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-25-2012, 03:25 PM   #1
medwatt
Zealot
medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Kindle 3 (dead); Nook ST (dead); Sony PRS-T1; Onyx i86+
I must buy one tomorrow !!

Hi,
For the past two years I've been using Kindle Keyboard and to say the truth I was happy with it until the day came when the screen froze up. I called amazon but my 1 year warranty was up. Because of the care I had taken to keep the device in the best possible state I felt amazon has robbed me. However . . .
Now I want to buy another ebook reader. To tell the truth I am not a fan of reading in dark places so I still want to buy an ereader without lights. I am also not a fan of touchscreens.
I was looking in youtube and found videos on Nook Simple touch. I saw also there were already ways to install android apps so that books in djvu, pdf can be read which is a priority. If I want to buy an ereader from amazon again it has to be the kindle keyboard and with some new hacks released by some guys on this board making the kindle read djvu and pdf I am kind of vacillating between the nook simple touch or the amazon kindle keyboard.

Please note that installing hacks in either device is ok for me as long as I can read books of any format.

So based on experience, will the nook after all the hacks be better for me than the kindle with the hacks.

Please respond.
medwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:23 PM   #2
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Before you buy, call Amazon back and speak to a different rep. Based on reports here, and my own first hand experience, Amazon's CS is awesome in keeping customers in the Kindle family, warranty or no. They replaced my KK out of warranty with out hesitation...and I didn't even have to mention that I might be forced to look at the Nook if they didn't....

Last edited by ApK; 10-25-2012 at 04:26 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:11 PM   #3
medwatt
Zealot
medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

I already contacted them. At one time when I was outside of England they said since my kindle is out of warranty the best they can do is to replace the device with me paying AN additional 40 pounds. I accepted.
When I returned some 2 months later the guy I contacted said I can no longer replace my kindle and the best they can do is to offer me another kindle model for 80 pounds which actually costs 100 pounds, i.e a discount of 20 pounds.
I was really fond of my kindle and for the screen to have frozen up without a direct cause from me is difficult to accept and I'm not the only one with such a fault.
I didn't want the kindle touch as I have previously mentioned, I'm not a great fan of touch screens (actually my fingers are a little oversized) and because newer versions of kindles have 2gb of memory taking the nook which can be hacked and is equipped with a USB slot is better proposition.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:17 PM   #4
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Check ebay. You might find used K3s
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:07 PM   #5
medwatt
Zealot

I need to know whether the nook when hacked will be better than the kindle !
Old 10-27-2012, 05:18 PM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by medwatt View Post
I already contacted them. At one time when I was outside of England they said since my kindle is out of warranty the best they can do is to replace the device with me paying AN additional 40 pounds. I accepted.
When I returned some 2 months later the guy I contacted said I can no longer replace my kindle and the best they can do is to offer me another kindle model for 80 pounds which actually costs 100 pounds, i.e a discount of 20 pounds.
I was really fond of my kindle and for the screen to have frozen up without a direct cause from me is difficult to accept and I'm not the only one with such a fault.
I didn't want the kindle touch as I have previously mentioned, I'm not a great fan of touch screens (actually my fingers are a little oversized) and because newer versions of kindles have 2gb of memory taking the nook which can be hacked and is equipped with a USB slot is better proposition.

I wouldn't give up on that Kindle - yet.

When you say the screen "froze up," what and where on the screen is frozen?

Have you tried to completely do a hard reset?

If the Kindle is 2 years old and has had continual heavy use, how is your battery?

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:33 AM   #7
medwatt
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I wouldn't give up on that Kindle - yet.

When you say the screen "froze up," what and where on the screen is frozen?

Have you tried to completely do a hard reset?

If the Kindle is 2 years old and has had continual heavy use, how is your battery?

Don
Its the usual kindle screen problem when the screen becomes totally unresponsive with white stripes of lines running from top to bottom.

Yes I have done everything possible to revive the kindle but it is a usual issue with others as well.

Its done. I called amazon yesterday and they told me all the can do is give me the offer to buy the 69 pounds at 50 pounds. Its like they are forcing me to buy that brand with advertisement and just 2gb of space. So yesterday I finally decided to leave amazon and join the nook community. My nook will arrive tomorrow !
Old 10-30-2012, 06:27 AM   #8
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Hope you enjoy your Nook, although in two years time if the screen breaks on it, good luck with getting a discount on a replacement, at least Amazon offered you something, no one else will after the warranty is expired.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
djvu, kindle, nook