Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 02-19-2011, 05:11 AM   #1
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi, Oasis
Safest way to eject Kindle3 ?

Prior to Calibre 0.7.45 I used to use Vista OS "eject Kindle" and Calibre would find out after approx 10 seconds.
Since 0.7.45 this is no longer the case.
I've just had a bad, sad week as calibre and K3 got out of sync.
Suspect a corrupt metadata.calibre file on my K3.
( had to start over from scratch ! )
Testing 7.45 and 7.46 using Calibre's Eject Device works as a snap, but seen from the OS it looks different.
Does Calibre Eject device do a "Eject device" + "Safely remove usb device" ?
Any ways: don't want to spend a week again with no reading, so looking for recommendations, and maybe explanations.
Thanks
pchrist7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:12 AM   #2
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Close this thread

Hi Moderators
Aparrently no body else but me had this problem.
So lets close this thread.
Couldn't figure out how to do this myself, sorry
Old 02-24-2011, 11:38 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I don't know about Kindle, but I wait till after Calibre closes the 'on device' column, before I reach for the cord.

If you manage to only corrupt metadata.calabre.
Shut-down Calibre completely, then delete the corrupt file.
Then start Calibre and WAIT while it re-scans your K3 (can take a bit of time. Go play with the cat while you wait.)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:04 PM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
From what I know, Calibre calls the OS'es eject functionality for the device. Thus, you should get a "Device can now be safely removed" message from Windows (at least, on XP with my device, I get that message, YMMV). If you see that message, you can unplug the Kindle.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:30 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
From what I know, Calibre calls the OS'es eject functionality for the device. Thus, you should get a "Device can now be safely removed" message from Windows (at least, on XP with my device, I get that message, YMMV). If you see that message, you can unplug the Kindle.
I don't ever see that message if I have Calibre (XP SP3) Eject the device.
(I don't connect my PEz to my Ubuntu box, because it only has Intel enhanced USB, which does not play nice with the FS on my device.)

If I have Windows USB icon do the eject, I do see the message.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:22 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Thus, you should get a "Device can now be safely removed" message from Windows (at least, on XP with my device, I get that message, YMMV). If you see that message, you can unplug the Kindle.
I don't ever see that message if I have Calibre (XP SP3) Eject the device.

If I have Windows USB icon do the eject, I do see the message.
I too have Win XP sp3 and never see the message when I eject through calibre (and I always eject through calibre). I just wait until the on device column goes away before I disconnect.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:29 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre does use a system call to eject devices, but it's not quite the same thing as what happens when you use the safely remove hardware function, mainly because the USB subsystem in windows is so poorly designed that trying to figure it out was not worth the effort for me.

As far as being safe to disconnect, you can actually pull the cable at any time as long as no device jobs are running in calibre (that's what I do, though it is best to wait a few seconds after the last device job completes, just to be safe). The eject button is there only because I got tired of getting requests for it from people that were under the impression it was necessary.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 02-24-2011 at 09:31 PM.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:10 AM   #8
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
For certain devices, it actually is necessary- the Cybook Gen3, for example, develops faults in its file system if not ejected properly.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:30 AM   #9
pchrist7
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I don't know about Kindle, but I wait till after Calibre closes the 'on device' column, before I reach for the cord.

If you manage to only corrupt metadata.calabre.
Shut-down Calibre completely, then delete the corrupt file.
Then start Calibre and WAIT while it re-scans your K3 (can take a bit of time. Go play with the cat while you wait.)
Hi there
Tried that, but the new file was way smaller than it used to be, and I still had a lot of books with wrong "On Device" status.
Learned to hard way to backup everything, every time, before I let Calibre and K3 talk to each other.

Last edited by pchrist7; 02-25-2011 at 04:32 AM. Reason: corrected spelling
Old 02-25-2011, 10:40 AM   #10
pchrist7
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
calibre does use a system call to eject devices, but it's not quite the same thing as what happens when you use the safely remove hardware function, mainly because the USB subsystem in windows is so poorly designed that trying to figure it out was not worth the effort for me.

As far as being safe to disconnect, you can actually pull the cable at any time as long as no device jobs are running in calibre (that's what I do, though it is best to wait a few seconds after the last device job completes, just to be safe). The eject button is there only because I got tired of getting requests for it from people that were under the impression it was necessary.
Hi Kovid
I'm on Vista at the moment, so I used to use the Vista "Eject" and NOT the "safely remove .." feature. Worked like a charm until, I think, 7.45.
Will do some experiment to see if I can replicate the problem.
More info to come.

Edit: Calibre eject device, seems to be the as Vista " Eject device" and "Safely remove .."
Will use that in the future, but backup, backup, backup

Last edited by pchrist7; 02-25-2011 at 11:40 AM. Reason: more info
Old 02-25-2011, 11:28 AM   #11
pchrist7
Addict

Something is up I think

Hi All
Thank you for you replies, a bit late,but still extremely valuable.
I Want to avoid a Factory reset in the future just to get things in sync,
Right now I have the following setup:
Calibre 0.7.46
Kindle 3 FW 3.1
Vista 64

Test:
IF I rename the metadata.calibre on my K3 ( calibre is shutdown ! )
and then eject K3 from Vista, disconnect USB, wait, reconnect, Vista detects new device, and now the "fun" begins
K3 is of course working absolute fine, but
Starting calibre (debug options) a new metadata.calibre file is created on my K3.
Fine - good job - new file is created, size of new file is 1/2 of original ?.
BUT Calibre does NOT recognise ALL the the books on the K3, all of the "problem books" were sent by calibre v. 0.7.46. No errors as such in debug output, but the status of books in Calibre book view are way off !
Books from Calibre on the K3 are not shown as on Device for some.
After the the full "reset/resend" etc. etc. all was well
I'm too tired tired right now, but other threads here mentioned other user having to the dreaded factory reset to get things in order.
I have copies of the files if Kovid & team want to look at.
Otherwise I hope you all have a nice weekend,
Need sleep