Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 02:02 PM   #1
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Recommended Quran version?

What with all this talk about burning Qurans, I decided that I'd like to read it for myself. Here are my questions:

1. Is there a translation of the Quran that is considered superior? On Amazon, looks like I have a choice between Abdullah Yusuf Ali, Yahiya Emerick, The Monotheist Group (?), and maybe a couple of others.

2. To get a broad view of major religious viewpoints, what other holy books (besides the Quran and Bible) should I read?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:16 PM   #2
durkinrobinson
Lovechild
durkinrobinson rocks like Gibraltar!durkinrobinson rocks like Gibraltar!durkinrobinson rocks like Gibraltar!durkinrobinson rocks like Gibraltar!durkinrobinson rocks like Gibraltar!durkinrobinson rocks like Gibraltar!durkinrobinson rocks like Gibraltar!durkinrobinson rocks like Gibraltar!durkinrobinson rocks like Gibraltar!durkinrobinson rocks like Gibraltar!durkinrobinson rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle
Taking a nasty event and using it as motivation to become more aware and educated - I'm impressed. It'd be nice if something good came out of the Gainesville debacle. (I live in Tampa and cringe whenever a fellow Floridian makes us look dumber than we are.)

Not sure about the Quran version, but my people's holy book is the Torah. What a hoot! You can find fun stories about dysfunctional families mixed in with child rape, slavery, and warnings about shrimp cocktails.

A fun holy book without all the murder and homophobia is the Bhagavad Gita. (It helps to burn some incense and play Ravi Shankar in the background while reading it.)

Dianetics? The Book of Mormon? Are You There God, It's Me Margaret?

I've read them all. Guess which one I liked best.

L'Shana Tovah,
Catherine
Old 09-09-2010, 03:33 PM   #3
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
This site recommends the M. A. S. Abdel Haleem translation from Oxford University Press (ISBN-10: 0199535957 ISBN-13: 978-0199535958)

Also a good resource is Holy Ebooks.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:33 PM   #4
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Hi Catherine,

Thanks for the suggestions. Um, I'll guess "Are You There God, It's Me Margaret", but the others sound pretty good too. I'll add 'em all to my list.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:44 PM   #5
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Also noticed that the Haleem translation is available on Amazon for $7.16
Old 09-09-2010, 05:16 PM   #6
rlparker
Ars longa

Hi jgaiser, thanks for the info. Do you know if the Haleem translation is considered "better" than the others?
Old 09-09-2010, 05:23 PM   #7
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
Hum...

You can't burn an ebook.

Old 09-09-2010, 05:41 PM   #8
jgaiser
Omnivorous

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlparker View Post
Hi jgaiser, thanks for the info. Do you know if the Haleem translation is considered "better" than the others?
Better is subjective. It is considered the best "modern english" translation.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:44 PM   #9
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Don't forget to check the free versions. I believe Gutenberg has several.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:20 PM   #10
ellimak
I spit hot fire
ellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Nook, or as I call him, Sir Nookington
My favorite version of the Qur'an is the Muhammad Asad translation: The Message of the Qur'an. I have it in hardback, but it's also available online: http://www.islamicbulletin.com/free_...quran_asad.htm.

The hardback version of this translation is beautiful; it's full color with side-by-side transliteration as well as the original Arabic text. Beyond that, Asad provides really helpful, extensive context and commentary for most of the verses. While Asad's interpretation (because that's all any translation is, really) is certainly progressive, I believe it maintains the spirit of the original text quite well.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:03 PM   #11
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Thanks to all who have recommended a translation, and to all those who will.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:21 PM   #12
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlparker View Post
2. To get a broad view of major religious viewpoints, what other holy books (besides the Quran and Bible) should I read?
hi rlparker, with holy books you certainly mean the starting point, the founding corner stone or similar.

I think that to get a broad view of major religious viewpoints one might find more proficient to read someone who has studied the major religions.

I use : The World's Religions by Huston Smith.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:18 AM   #13
rlparker
Ars longa

Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post
...I think that to get a broad view of major religious viewpoints one might find more proficient to read someone who has studied the major religions....[/URL][/COLOR].
Hi beppe, thanks for your very good suggestion. I've put the book on my TBR list.

I bow to your and your wisdom!
Old 09-15-2010, 09:28 AM   #14
rlparker
Ars longa

I went to check out the book at Amazon. Here's the list from the "What Do Customers Ultimately Buy After Viewing This Item?" section:
  • The World's Religions, Revised and Updated by Huston Smith Kindle Edition
  • God Is Not One: The Eight Rival Religions That Run the World--and Why Their Differences Matter by Stephen Prothero
  • Britannica Encyclopedia of World Religions by Encyclopedia Britannica
  • The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

For some reason that last one struck me as funny.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:06 AM   #15
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Deleted (double post). Sorry!

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 09-15-2010 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Delete double post.
Closed Thread

Tags
quran, translation