Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-07-2021, 06:18 AM   #1
Alocin
Alocin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
How to export annotations in a decent way

Hi all.

I want to know how I can export annotations/highlights from an ebook in my Kobo Clara HD, to my computer, in a decent way.

I've tried the function "Export highlights" by adding "ExportHighlights=true" into the FeatureSettings section of the config file (Kobo eReader.conf).
But the problem is that long highlights are truncated in the .txt file, so they are incomplete.
I've also tried to add "showOldAnnotationsView=true" into [Reading] inside the config file, but nothing changed.
So, is there a way to have complete annotations inside that file?

Another option is the .annot file inside "Digital Editions/Annotations". But of course this is not a good way to read the annotations and easily manage them.
In this case, is there a way to convert this file in a simple file that contains only the annotations?

I hope you can help me.
Alocin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 11:55 AM   #2
pgilster
Connoisseur
pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Aura One; Kobo Forma; Kindle Oasis 3
I'm also frustrated with Kobo annotations. In fact, now that the dictionary issue has been fixed, this is about my only reservation about Kobo. I've been using the "ExportHighlights=true" method after editing the needed .conf file, and it tended to work on my Forma and Aura One. But after the latest firmware update, it no longer functions. I'd appreciate hearing from others who are having issues with exporting annotations. I like to keep my notes in Evernote but this option seems closed to me now unless I want to type in each entry.
pgilster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2021, 12:01 PM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Use Kobo Utilities in Calibre. Copy and pasted into desired application, or a custom column.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 12:03 PM   #4
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
I use KoboUtilites (in Calibre).

"Copy annotations for..." -> Copy to clipboard (or something like that) and then I paste that into a document.

It needs a bit reformatting and editing, but very useful, for me.
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 10:49 AM   #5
pgilster
Connoisseur
pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Aura One; Kobo Forma; Kindle Oasis 3
Thanks for the tip re Calibre! This is why I come here. Much appreciated.

Paul
pgilster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2021, 01:10 PM   #6
Alocin
Alocin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Use Kobo Utilities in Calibre. Copy and pasted into desired application, or a custom column.
I tried Kobo Utilities but it doesn't seem to work. There's another plugin in Calibre, "Annotations" that adds the annotations to a column. But this process is a little bit uncomfortable for me and I would prefer not to use Calibre.

If we don't consider the "export highlights", there's no way to simply convert the .annot file into a readable .txt file?
Alocin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 03:08 PM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
  1. Select a book when Kobo connected.
  2. Open Kobo Utilities
  3. Fetch annotations for Selected book
  4. Click on the copy to Clipboard, but don't close the window.
  5. Paste into where ever you want the highlights + annotations.
  6. Close the popup window.

I can't imagine using ebook readers without Calibre as the File Explorer of OS has no idea of history and the library management of Nook, Kindle, iRiver, Kobo, Sony, Binatone, Boyue Likebook and apps is abysmal compared with Calibre.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 01:33 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alocin View Post
I tried Kobo Utilities but it doesn't seem to work.
How doesn't it work? Is there an error? I don't use it much, but, it seemed to work just now.
Quote:
There's another plugin in Calibre, "Annotations" that adds the annotations to a column. But this process is a little bit uncomfortable for me and I would prefer not to use Calibre.
Why are you uncomfortable with it? It's just add a column to calibre and then run the fetch while the device is connected.

But, if you don't want to use calibre, then neither of these methods is very attractive.
Quote:
If we don't consider the "export highlights", there's no way to simply convert the .annot file into a readable .txt file?
It is just an XML file, so it is reasonably readable. And stripping the XML tags in a text editor is not hard. I can't remember if I have seen mention of a script to do this.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 06:02 AM   #9
Beatriz D
Beatriz D began at the beginning.

Device: Hobo Libra H2
I also have problems with .conf file and Kobo Utilities for annotations downloading

Hi,
I have the same problems Alocin has reported for downloading kobo books annotations:
1) The conf file changes do not work with my Kobo Libra H2. I imagine that it is a firmware issue but I am not so sure.
2) Kobo Utilities only works with books that you have downloaded in the eReader but not with those that you have bought in the Kobo store.
The books that you have bought in the Kobo store cannot be loaded in the Calibre library because they are virtual books!
3) I have also tried the Annotations plugin and found the same issues.

I don't know what else to do. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.
Beatriz D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 07:48 AM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatriz D View Post
Hi,
I have the same problems Alocin has reported for downloading kobo books annotations:
1) The conf file changes do not work with my Kobo Libra H2. I imagine that it is a firmware issue but I am not so sure.
They are working here. You need to make sure the spelling and case are correct. And the entry is in the correct place in the file.
Quote:
2) Kobo Utilities only works with books that you have downloaded in the eReader but not with those that you have bought in the Kobo store.
The books that you have bought in the Kobo store cannot be loaded in the Calibre library because they are virtual books!
3) I have also tried the Annotations plugin and found the same issues.
Both will definitely work with purchased books downloaded to the device. But, they only work for books on the device that match books in the calibre library. If you don't have the book in the library, you need to add it. Using the add book to library from the device list doesn't work for a few reasons. But you add the book by other methods. Such as using the "Add empty book" and setting the details, or downloading the book from the store, or using the Obok plugin to add the book.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 06:29 AM   #11
Beatriz D
Beatriz D began at the beginning.

Device: Hobo Libra H2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
They are working here. You need to make sure the spelling and case are correct. And the entry is in the correct place in the file.
I have checked the spelling and case several times and it still doesn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Both will definitely work with purchased books downloaded to the device. But, they only work for books on the device that match books in the calibre library. If you don't have the book in the library, you need to add it. Using the add book to library from the device list doesn't work for a few reasons. But you add the book by other methods. Such as using the "Add empty book" and setting the details, or downloading the book from the store, or using the Obok plugin to add the book.
It worked by downloading the book. This was a tricky one because it was DRM protected. First I added the book to Calibre from Adobe Digital Editions folder. Then, I linked the book in the device to the book in the Calibre library and worked either with Kobo utilities or with the Annotations plugin.
Thanks for the tip again Davidfor.
Beatriz D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 10:19 PM   #12
wildsseb
wildsseb began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Sage
New Kobo Sage user. Couldn't find this question answered anywhere but I am wondering if there is a way to sync highlights I make on my Kobo Sage with Calibre, so the highlights are displayed in the book when I open it with Calibre Viewer?
wildsseb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annotations, export, highlights, kobo, notes