Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-11-2008, 07:29 AM   #1
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Request: New Scientist recipe

Hello,
I'd very much like a working recipe for New Scientist magazine from the RSS feeds here. I tried applying the feeds directly in calibre for a simple recipe however I end up with LRF files with nothing in them. It's a major magazine and it'd make a great addition to the calibre recipe collection.
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 01:54 PM   #2
kiklop74
Guru
kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Here goes:

Code:
#!/usr/bin/env  python

__license__   = 'GPL v3'
__copyright__ = '2008, Darko Miletic <darko.miletic at gmail.com>'
'''
newscientist.com
'''

from calibre.web.feeds.news import BasicNewsRecipe

class Newscientist(BasicNewsRecipe):
    title                 = u'New Scientist - Online News'
    __author__            = 'Darko Miletic'
    description           = 'News from Science'
    oldest_article        = 7
    max_articles_per_feed = 100
    no_stylesheets        = True
    use_embedded_content  = False

keep_only_tags = [
                        dict(name='div'  , attrs={'id':'pgtop'   })
                       ,dict(name='div'  , attrs={'id':'maincol' })
                     ]
    remove_tags = [
                     dict(name='div'  , attrs={'class':'hldBd' })
                    ,dict(name='div'  , attrs={'id':'compnl' })
                    ,dict(name='div'  , attrs={'id':'artIssueInfo' })
                  ]

feeds          = [
                        (u'Latest Headlines' , u'http://feeds.newscientist.com/science-news'              )
                       ,(u'Magazine'         , u'http://www.newscientist.com/feed/magazine'               )                      
                       ,(u'Health'           , u'http://www.newscientist.com/feed/view?id=2&type=channel' )
                       ,(u'Life'             , u'http://www.newscientist.com/feed/view?id=3&type=channel' )
                       ,(u'Space'            , u'http://www.newscientist.com/feed/view?id=6&type=channel' )
                     ]
kiklop74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2008, 05:58 PM   #3
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

She works! (Is code male, female or neuter?) Thankyou!
Old 11-11-2008, 06:12 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Definitely female considering the amount of time I spend staring at her
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:33 PM   #5
AprilHare
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Definitely female considering the amount of time I spend staring at her
Your mistress may need attention: she prints "None" underneath every article link.
Sample attached.
Just don't mention this to your wife and everything will be OK

Last edited by AprilHare; 11-11-2008 at 06:33 PM. Reason: clarification
Advert
Old 11-11-2008, 07:48 PM   #6
kiklop74
Guru
kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
Your mistress may need attention: she prints "None" underneath every article link.
Are you having problems with this script?
kiklop74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:01 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
Sample attached.
Just don't mention this to your wife and everything will be OK
She just needed a little massaging. Will be in next release. As for my wife, we have a totally open relationship when it comes to code
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 11:16 PM   #8
AprilHare
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiklop74 View Post
Are you having problems with this script?
No the script seems to be working fine New Scientist Good!
I am thinking about modifying it to add more of the feeds (the topic guides would be too much). Will give it a go later on.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:37 AM   #9
Derry
Derry began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
Thanks so much for the feed, much appreciated
Derry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 08:33 AM   #10
Ler0y Jenkins
Connoisseur
Ler0y Jenkins doesn't litterLer0y Jenkins doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Can someone explain to me how to use this code? I'm new to the e-book world and have no idea what a "feed" is or any of the other stuff in this thread. Does this allow you to view New Scientist Magazine on your Sony E-Reader? Please help, I'm lost...

Edit: Never mind. I saw the "fetch news" tab at the top and New Scientist is listed as a perodical. I'm downloading it now and I assume I'll just have to upload it to my ereader and that should be it.

Last edited by Ler0y Jenkins; 11-24-2008 at 08:54 AM.
Ler0y Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 09:17 AM   #11
AprilHare
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ler0y Jenkins View Post
Can someone explain to me how to use this code? I'm new to the e-book world and have no idea what a "feed" is or any of the other stuff in this thread. Does this allow you to view New Scientist Magazine on your Sony E-Reader? Please help, I'm lost...

Edit: Never mind. I saw the "fetch news" tab at the top and New Scientist is listed as a perodical. I'm downloading it now and I assume I'll just have to upload it to my ereader and that should be it.
It doesn't let you read the magazine exactly: it lets you read the articles referenced in NewScientist.com RSS feeds (NewScientist.com corresponds to New Scientist magazines' online presence and shares content).
As Wikipedia puts it, "RSS is a family of Web feed formats used to publish frequently updated works—such as blog entries, news headlines, audio, and video—in a standardized format." In this case, featured New Scientist articles.

It is doubtful you would get full articles that NewScientist.com requires you to buy a subscription to view, however. They've got to give us encouragement to pay somehow!

Last edited by AprilHare; 11-24-2008 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 11-24-2008, 09:26 AM   #12
AprilHare
Wizard

Here is an improvement: a few more feeds added:
Code:
#!/usr/bin/env  python

__license__   = 'GPL v3'
__copyright__ = '2008, Darko Miletic <darko.miletic at gmail.com>, AprilHare'
'''
newscientist.com
'''

from calibre.web.feeds.news import BasicNewsRecipe

class Newscientist(BasicNewsRecipe):
    title                 = u'New Scientist - Online News'
    __author__            = 'Darko Miletic'
    description           = 'News from Science'
    oldest_article        = 7
    max_articles_per_feed = 100
    no_stylesheets        = True
    use_embedded_content  = False

keep_only_tags = [
                        dict(name='div'  , attrs={'id':'pgtop'   })
                       ,dict(name='div'  , attrs={'id':'maincol' })
                     ]
    remove_tags = [
                     dict(name='div'  , attrs={'class':'hldBd' })
                    ,dict(name='div'  , attrs={'id':'compnl' })
                    ,dict(name='div'  , attrs={'id':'artIssueInfo' })
                  ]

feeds          = [
                        (u'Latest Headlines' , u'http://feeds.newscientist.com/science-news'              )
                       ,(u'Magazine'         , u'http://www.newscientist.com/feed/magazine'               )                      
                       ,(u'Health'           , u'http://www.newscientist.com/feed/view?id=2&type=channel' )
                       ,(u'Life'             , u'http://www.newscientist.com/feed/view?id=3&type=channel' )
                       ,(u'Space'            , u'http://www.newscientist.com/feed/view?id=6&type=channel' )
                       ,(u'Physics and Mathematics'            , u'http://www.newscientist.com/feed/view?id=4&type=channel' )
                       ,(u'Environment'            , u'http://www.newscientist.com/feed/view?id=1&type=channel' )
                       ,(u'Science in Society'            , u'http://www.newscientist.com/feed/view?id=5&type=channel' )
                       ,(u'Tech'            , u'http://www.newscientist.com/feed/view?id=7&type=channel' )
                     ]