Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-19-2011, 01:35 PM   #31
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Can the Kobo Touch read B&N epub DRM?

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:50 PM   #32
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
Can the Kobo Touch read B&N epub DRM?

Carol
No, it can't.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2011, 02:07 PM   #33
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
No, it can't.
Thanks,

Carol
Old 07-19-2011, 03:35 PM   #34
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
No, it can't.
OK. Before I posted here I asked at Kobo's site. Just now got a resonse. Here is there response.

Hi Carol,

We are happy to inform you that you can indeed read any eBooks printed in the ePub DRM format even that from Barnes and Noble.
However, the only way to download and view these books right now is downloading them via Adobe Digital Editions. Please ensure that you are registered with the ADE software before you begin your downloading.

Feel free to contact us with any other concerns.

Happy Reading!

Sincerely,
The Kobo Team

Do you have a DRM'd B&N book that you can test or have you already.

Thanks again,
Carol
Old 07-19-2011, 05:23 PM   #35
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
OK. Before I posted here I asked at Kobo's site. Just now got a resonse. Here is there response.

Hi Carol,

We are happy to inform you that you can indeed read any eBooks printed in the ePub DRM format even that from Barnes and Noble.
However, the only way to download and view these books right now is downloading them via Adobe Digital Editions. Please ensure that you are registered with the ADE software before you begin your downloading.

Feel free to contact us with any other concerns.

Happy Reading!

Sincerely,
The Kobo Team

Thanks again,
Carol
That's news to me. I asked this question in the Kobo forum here using part of your post. Kobo reps generally respond.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=143100

See post #13.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2011, 08:12 PM   #36
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
That's news to me. I asked this question in the Kobo forum here using part of your post. Kobo reps generally respond.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=143100

See post #13.
Thanks Scion,

I didn't think you would be able to read B&N on the Kobo. My husband may be in the market for an ereader. Now he reads on his iPhone. I have a Kindle and like it. We are interested in seeing the new Kindles when they are released.

Carol
Old 07-19-2011, 10:29 PM   #37
Wildgift
Connoisseur
Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Thanks Scion,

I didn't think you would be able to read B&N on the Kobo. My husband may be in the market for an ereader. Now he reads on his iPhone. I have a Kindle and like it. We are interested in seeing the new Kindles when they are released.

Carol
I have a Kobo, and it's AWESOME, with amazing support right here in the forums. With Calibre and a well-known and easily found website/plug in, you don't have to worry. And, the writer has been paid. And, you paid for it, so I don't see this as morally challenged.
Wildgift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:33 AM   #38
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildgift View Post
I have a Kobo, and it's AWESOME, with amazing support right here in the forums. With Calibre and a well-known and easily found website/plug in, you don't have to worry. And, the writer has been paid. And, you paid for it, so I don't see this as morally challenged.
Thanks. Yes the first thing I do when buying a book is to 'free' it so format is not really a problem. Will be checking out the Kobo along with the new Kindles. He looked at the Nooks but wasn't too happy with them.

Carol
Old 07-23-2011, 11:08 PM   #39
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
My hubby broke my Kobo Wi-Fi last night.

I'm trying to decide which eReader to get tomorrow. Any suggestions?

It would have been a no-brainer to get another Kobo if it supported collections. I read tons of series books. Why no collections, Kobo??
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:22 AM   #40
porphyra
porphyra began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wireless, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
My hubby broke my Kobo Wi-Fi last night.

I'm trying to decide which eReader to get tomorrow. Any suggestions?

It would have been a no-brainer to get another Kobo if it supported collections. I read tons of series books. Why no collections, Kobo??
Never say never. Kobo's development team is perhaps the most active of them all, and the firmware updates have been very frequent, turning a ho-hum device to a serious contender now (enabling dictionary support for sideloaded books and ability to add customs fonts..just to name a few).

The series request has come up before so it may get implemented in a future firmware update.
porphyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:16 AM   #41
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Thanks again,
Carol
On Sunday I'll get my Kobo and some B&N books (that ADE doesn't read). I can tell you if it works.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:47 PM   #42
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
On Sunday I'll get my Kobo and some B&N books (that ADE doesn't read). I can tell you if it works.
Thanks. But, my husband bit the bullet and bought a Nook the other day. Still, I'd be curious to know the answer.

Carol
Old 07-28-2011, 06:38 PM   #43
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Thanks. But, my husband bit the bullet and bought a Nook the other day. Still, I'd be curious to know the answer.

Carol
I'd love to know, too!
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote