Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-29-2021, 04:06 AM   #16
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fathead View Post
I apologize for slightly hijacking this thread but this stand looks very useful; can you tell me, please, will it securely hold an 8inch reader in portrait mode?
No, I think it's too small for that.
I mainly use it because of the distance so that I can attach the USB connector and so that the device doesn't slip away.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 05:04 AM   #17
fathead
Connoisseur
fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kobo Aura H2O2, PocketBook THD3, PocketBook IP3, Nook ST
Thank you.
fathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 01:31 PM   #18
bazz2004
Groupie
bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.

Device: Boyue Alita
Quote:
Originally Posted by larko View Post
From your advice and watching a multitude of review articles the Alita made the most sense to me so have one on order and looking forward to getting to use it.

Can you recommend any apps for getting the most out of it?

I will use it for note taking with customers and suppliers, along with referencing e-pubs, pdfs and maybe Mobi files to aid with creating solutions for work.

Potentially even creating an e-journal at a personal level.

Your help has been genuinely appreciated, thankyou.
Try to keep notes of what you do so you can post an account to help others. Boyue support is minimal. I spent over a week slogging away at the Alita before deciding to stick to using it as an e-reader. I really had no idea what I was getting into and felt the reviews were unhelpful.
bazz2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 02:56 PM   #19
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazz2004 View Post
Try to keep notes of what you do so you can post an account to help others. Boyue support is minimal. I spent over a week slogging away at the Alita before deciding to stick to using it as an e-reader. I really had no idea what I was getting into and felt the reviews were unhelpful.
You haven't tried to get to know the device since then - so you're using it as a grossly overpriced reader and grumbling about realizing you bought the wrong one.
But it's not the fault of the device or the company
And about support: I don't know what you tried, but whenever I had a question, I got a satisfactory answer within a short time

Last edited by ottischwenk; 03-29-2021 at 03:19 PM.
Old 03-30-2021, 02:42 AM   #20
bazz2004
Groupie
bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.

You haven't realised ottisschwenk that unless a large number of devices can be sold a product isn't going to last long. Companies like Boyue will disappear even if they have government subsidies. They need to vastly increase sales and that means much lower prices. Not much chance of either unless they can make a user friendly device. I did manage to do more with the the Alita than use it as an e-reader but my iPad and computers leave it standing for those other purposes. Accusing those who disagree with you of stupidity or lack of application reflect badly on you. Google Translate isn't a believable explanation for your rudeness. Boyue lack fluent English speakers which limits their support for Western based customers. But be reassured it'll not be long before another unfinished product joins the line-up. You will then be able to add it unquestioningly to your growing collection of e-reader devices.
Old 03-30-2021, 04:35 AM   #21
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
You haven't realised ottisschwenk that unless a large number of devices can be sold a product isn't going to last long. Companies like Boyue will disappear even if they have government subsidies. They need to vastly increase sales and that means much lower prices. Not much chance of either unless they can make a user friendly device. I did manage to do more with the the Alita than use it as an e-reader but my iPad and computers leave it standing for those other purposes. Accusing those who disagree with you of stupidity or lack of application reflect badly on you. Google Translate isn't a believable explanation for your rudeness.
For me there is little reason to refute meaningless claims in a friendly manner.
Quote:
Boyue lack fluent English speakers which limits their support for Western based customers. But be reassured it'll not be long before another unfinished product joins the line-up. You will then be able to add it unquestioningly to your growing collection of e-reader devices.
In a big difference to you, I can work in the sun and in the garden with an EInk device - because I can see what is going on on the screen.
Other than that, I am not dependent on Apple's limitations and that is very important to me.
This and many other things guarantee that the Chinese EInk tablets - Boyue-Likebook and Onyx-Boox - will continue to be produced.

And as for your opinion about the English language skills of the support - English is not the center of the world and the Chinese can also use Google Translate, like me - I communicate with them in Chinese.
And what Google Translate produces can be cross-checked very easily.

Only if you do not want to inform yourself and to deal with a device, then you will not be able to use the device properly and you will have to use a multifunctional tablet as a stupid reader.

However, neither the device nor the manufacturer is to blame for this, only the user.

Last edited by ottischwenk; 03-30-2021 at 05:56 AM.
Old 04-05-2021, 01:44 AM   #22
bazz2004
Groupie

These stylised responses read like propaganda for Chinese tech. Boyue e-readers are promoted as multi purpose devices whereas they only do one thing well. If Boyue are taking comfort from the zealots in this section of the forum there's little hope of a successful device. Even if the hardware could be improved and android brought up to date the software isn't evolving quickly enough. Possibly in some regions Boyue products are cutting edge technology but they won't have much market success in more advanced countries. Good luck with your English comrades.
Old 04-05-2021, 05:07 AM   #23
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
These stylised responses read like propaganda for Chinese tech. Boyue e-readers are promoted as multi purpose devices whereas they only do one thing well. If Boyue are taking comfort from the zealots in this section of the forum there's little hope of a successful device. Even if the hardware could be improved and android brought up to date the software isn't evolving quickly enough. Possibly in some regions Boyue products are cutting edge technology but they won't have much market success in more advanced countries. Good luck with your English comrades.
With the technology from advanced countries you can bury yourself in the basement, but when it is light you can use such tablets as saucers (because you can't see anything), while I can use my chinese devices in bright weather and sun well in the garden.

I, for one, no longer want to have to do without EInk technology, even in the computer sector.

Last edited by ottischwenk; 04-06-2021 at 06:19 AM.
Old 04-07-2021, 11:07 AM   #24
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
With the technology from advanced countries you can bury yourself in the basement, but when it is light you can use such tablets as saucers (because you can't see anything), while I can use my chinese devices in bright weather and sun well in the garden..
What is with the weird country issues?
All of the devices are actually made in China.
And both US, Korean, Chinese and other manufacturers design both eInk and non-eInk devices.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 02:24 PM   #25
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
What is with the weird country issues?
All of the devices are actually made in China.
And both US, Korean, Chinese and other manufacturers design both eInk and non-eInk devices.
Did you read the post I quoted and understand the statement it contained?
By the way, Apple (Bazz2004!) does not produce EInk devices, but has them built in the Far East.
But EInk Android Tablets are only designed and built in Far East.

Last edited by ottischwenk; 04-07-2021 at 02:28 PM.

Tags
formats, notes, remote, wi-fi