Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-28-2022, 02:27 PM   #16
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
And NO BUTTONS! That's a dealbreaker right there.
I agree!
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 02:41 PM   #17
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Not interested in a 10'' device.

I was expecting a 8'' Oasis. Oh well... I'll stick to my Kobos.
I know

Some really need a Scribe device so this is great for them, but I'm bummed no Oasis announcement.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2022, 02:51 PM   #18
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
I know

Some really need a Scribe device so this is great for them, but I'm bummed no Oasis announcement.
Well, there might be a new Oasis yet in the future.

As Kobo currently has two ereaders with note-taking abilities, it makes sense for Amazon to release their version of it as well. I'm disappointed, but OTOH I really don't need another ereader right now, and my wallet will feel ecstatic.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 02:55 PM   #19
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There may be, but I was hoping for one this year. That's looking very unlikely.
Old 09-28-2022, 02:56 PM   #20
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
That price is for the 16gb. Given I have a butt load of audiobooks I need the 64gb version which is $419. man I am so mad that I purchased the Kobo Sage for I would rather have this.

I can use the 16GB as long a I don't use audiobooks on it I guess
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2022, 03:05 PM   #21
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
It's great that they have managed to make a 10" display which is 300 dpi - finally, someone has achieved this! And with the warm light as well, it's very tempting. .
I'd be surprised if it's an Amazon designed and made screen. But 300 dpi at 10"+ size is good.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 03:16 PM   #22
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Though it has slightly higher resolution than an Elipsa, unless there is some radical difference on Series, Collections, covers and annotations with ebooks & PDF compared to other Kindles, and far better handwriting recognition, the Boox Note Pro and Kobo Elipsa are better.
I have
reMarkable
Elipsa, Sage, and Libra Original. Had version C Kobo Touch and H2O original.
Have Sony PRS-350, had Sony T1. The now gone Sonys are all better than any Kindle for book navigation & Calibre.
Kindle DXG, KK3, PW3 & gen 9 Oasis. Used Basic, PW2 & PW4. I'd not go back to a Kindle. I use them just to test and for my Amazon Account.

The Kindle Scribe (too obvious & generic name) is fine if you must have a Kindle rather than (better FW) Kobo. Certainly sounds far better than too much hyped reMarkable, which has to have worst SW features of any 10"+ size ereader.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 03:17 PM   #23
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, nook Glowlight Plus, Apple iPad Air 2
Too small for me. I want 11" or 12" with page turn buttons. I don't need to take notes. I want to read magazines and RPG rule books and, for me, 10" just isn't big enough for that.
apastuszak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 03:47 PM   #24
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I'd be surprised if it's an Amazon designed and made screen. But 300 dpi at 10"+ size is good.
I know they didn’t (design it), but I’m sure they pushed for the design (which I was previously told on various forums etc. was not possible) to be made possible.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 03:51 PM   #25
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post

The Kindle Scribe (too obvious & generic name) is fine if you must have a Kindle rather than (better FW) Kobo. Certainly sounds far better than too much hyped reMarkable, which has to have worst SW features of any 10"+ size ereader.
I actually really like the name Scribe, even it’s obviousness, it’s making me wonder why no one thought of it until now. But I will wait for the Kindle Buttons

I love Kobo's way of organizing, how the books are just sorted automatically into authors - why on earth can’t amazon do that? (rhetorical question)
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 03:57 PM   #26
Paperbackstash
Wizard

And maybe I'm letting myself be a bit bummed about this. It IS a cool device for reading/studying and non-fiction if you do take notes - does it do highlights?? Would be nice to have for those occasions. Problem is, I don't do that much.

The bigger screen is good for graphic novels and photos - but for that I do use the kindle fire tablet due to the color.
Old 09-28-2022, 04:00 PM   #27
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
I wonder how well the note taking aspect is going to pan out. I saw they have some journal templates. I've been journaling on paper since '97 and if I could start doing it electronically (not a blog or something like that) that would be primo.
I want to write, not type.
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 04:04 PM   #28
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
And maybe I'm letting myself be a bit bummed about this. It IS a cool device for reading/studying and non-fiction if you do take notes - does it do highlights?? Would be nice to have for those occasions. Problem is, I don't do that much.

The bigger screen is good for graphic novels and photos - but for that I do use the kindle fire tablet due to the color.
Same. I don't study, take notes or read mangas/graphic novels. No use for something this big at all. 7-8'' is my sweet spot for reading.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 04:50 PM   #29
cellaris
Addict
cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo, PocketBook, Tolino, Bookeen, Onyx Boox, Boyue.
I think it's great that there is a 10" e-reader with a 300 ppi screen and colour temperature adjustment. It is the only one. I am very satisfied with the PB InkPad X and I don't need another e-reader of that size, but for those who are thinking of buying one, I think it's a very interesting option.

Those who are interested in other sizes and other features have several options on the market. Let everyone choose the one that suits them best. No brand is going to offer devices tailored to our needs, because everyone thinks differently. That is why there is a variety of brands and devices. But the current range of Amazon devices (Kindle Basic, Paperwhite, Oasis and Scribe) doesn't seem to me to be bad at all.
cellaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 04:57 PM   #30
Paperbackstash
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellaris View Post
Those who are interested in other sizes and other features have several options on the market. Let everyone choose the one that suits them best. No brand is going to offer devices tailored to our needs, because everyone thinks differently. That is why there is a variety of brands and devices. But the current range of Amazon devices (Kindle Basic, Paperwhite, Oasis and Scribe) doesn't seem to me to be bad at all.
I'm not complaining about having options to suit different needs, just bummed they also did not release an Oasis update for fans of that device as it's pretty old by now. We will see if that product continues later or is discontinued completely.

I do have a feeling Scribe will be pretty popular for those enjoy these types of devices.