Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-27-2022, 08:24 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deobulakenyo View Post
^are those necessary? The opening ankepub or going to my books before plugging the Libra 2 to a PC? I usually do it while on the homescreen
You don't want to be in a KePub when you plug in. That's the only problem I've noticed.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 12:46 AM   #32
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I believe it had been identified that there were different components in use on some Libra 2 devices. It would probably be an idea to track down if the issues were in all units or just a subset
No problem here, for what it's worth. N418 model, bought end of 2021 in Australia, current fw 4.33. I even plug in while reading kepubs.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2022, 01:01 AM   #33
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Have you tried listening to Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation while using your ereader? That actually has it's own CVE-2022-38392. For more information, see Janet Jackson had the power to crash laptop computers . Better late than never...
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 05:48 AM   #34
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Won't affect PCs with SSD only or eReaders or tablets.

Very few HDDS are vulnerable and even the vulnerable ones may be OK.
https://www.theregister.com/2022/08/...ashes_laptops/
Quote:
"It turns out that the song contained one of the natural resonant frequencies for the model of 5400 RPM laptop hard drives that they and other manufacturers used," Chen wrote.
It probably also needs to be loud.
Quote:
Sometimes playing the video on one laptop would crash another nearby laptop.
Usually decent 512 Gbyte laptop drives are 7200 RPM. My survey and tests show that many 1G and larger laptop HDDs don't have speed marked on them, possibly because all of those are 5400 RPM.

Likely the vulnerable drives were very cheap 80G Byte (or less) as it was XP era (so before 2007 and after 2001)

Also you'd need external speakers or unusual laptop speakers.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 01:04 PM   #35
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That is a mess. I never thought I'd see something worse then Vellum.
It looks as if Kovid uses a tool called Sphinx to generate the calibre documentation.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2022, 03:58 AM   #36
mbrisco
(gtfo/freak)
mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Likebook Alita
Got a newer revision Libra 2 and set it up today. I got 3 reboot-crashes within the first 2 hours of use. What the heck was the point of replacing the power management chip if it doesn't fix the poor power management that's causing the reboot-crashes?
mbrisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 04:17 AM   #37
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrisco View Post
Got a newer revision Libra 2 and set it up today. I got 3 reboot-crashes within the first 2 hours of use. What the heck was the point of replacing the power management chip if it doesn't fix the poor power management that's causing the reboot-crashes?
How did you know it is a new "revision?"
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 05:22 AM   #38
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Try FW 4.32.x
https://pgaskin.net/KoboStuff/kobofirmware.html
go bottom of page and click "Versions".
Old 09-03-2022, 06:06 AM   #39
mbrisco
(gtfo/freak)
mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As I went to check my current firmware version, it crashed yet again. Lol

I’m on 4.33.19759. Are you saying I should downgrade the firmware? Was 4.33 bad?

@Deobulakenyo I SSH’d into it and ran a command that lists the hardware details of the device, and found that mine was using the newer revision PMIC. The exact command I’d have to dig out if you’re interested, saw it on GitHub
Old 09-03-2022, 10:46 AM   #40
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
A
I’m on 4.33.19759. Are you saying I should downgrade the firmware? Was 4.33 bad?
Both 4.33.x I tried rubbish on Sage and 4.32.x is solid on Sage, Elipsa, Nia and original Libra. I buy Kobos for other folk in the family!
Old 09-07-2022, 01:19 PM   #41
Artemide
Enthusiast
Artemide began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Pocketbook Basic Lux 3
Quote:
As I went to check my current firmware version, it crashed yet again. Lol

@Deobulakenyo I SSH’d into it and ran a command that lists the hardware details of the device, and found that mine was using the newer revision PMIC. The exact command I’d have to dig out if you’re interested, saw it on GitHub
I got my Libra 2 about 2 weeks ago. It has always worked well, but two days ago it hangs after moving on the menu, probably I were too quick.
I've some difficults to learn to wait: it's not a tablet or a smartphone, it's slow, after one command it needs to wait until ereader terminates operations, before give another command (some second). I don't think it's defective, simply it's a device that can do one thing, and it does it well. But it's hard for me to get used to
One thing that I failed to do, is to shut down device. I didn't understand how much it takes to press the button, kobo always restart

Just for curiosity, how's the procedure? It would be useful to understand if crash that more people had, could be related to the hardware.
Artemide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 04:12 PM   #42
mbrisco
(gtfo/freak)

I don’t mind the slowness, I think it’s plenty fast, it’s just utterly unstable. Seems like the reboot happens a lot when changing the frontlight, and when exiting books. The battery is also dying quite fast… not abnormally fast like a glitch but like a badly optimized device

I’ve had both the original and newer revisions but same experience on both unfortunately
Old 09-07-2022, 05:40 PM   #43
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
I don’t mind the slowness, I think it’s plenty fast, it’s just utterly unstable. Seems like the reboot happens a lot when changing the frontlight, and when exiting books. The battery is also dying quite fast… not abnormally fast like a glitch but like a badly optimized device

I’ve had both the original and newer revisions but same experience on both unfortunately
Mine no longer has those issues, since 4.32. And I change the frontlight a lot, also switch between books, use the dictionary etc. No freezing or rebooting whatsoever.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 02:38 AM   #44
Artemide
Enthusiast
Artemide began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Pocketbook Basic Lux 3
Forgot to say that I've the last firmware, battery is still at 66% after a week with daily use, without WiFi. Just a moment ago, kobo freezes at page of reading settings. The page doesn't change, commands fail, sleep cover doesn't work anymore. I guess if this occurs after manual edit of file with number of dark pages refresh

Last edited by Artemide; 09-08-2022 at 03:12 AM.
Artemide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 05:20 AM   #45
npr
Zealot
npr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kobo Glo, Aura, H2OE2, Libra 2
Just started having reboots with my Libra2, only started while reading the current book so suspect that's where the problem is.
Calibre's editor found no fault with the book but Sigil objects a large number of the following stylesheet.css commands claiming a "Value Error":

border-top: currentColor none 0;
border-right: currentColor none 0;
border-left: currentColor none 0;
border: currentColor none 0;

I've removed all the above stylesheet commands and so far no reboots, looking promising but still got half the book to go.
There's a second error found by Sigil which I have not corrected, see how the above goes first.
npr is offline   Reply With Quote