Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 09-19-2020, 11:12 AM   #1
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
RIP, RB Digital

It was with some trepidation that I saw that the RB Digital library app was going to be folded into Libby/OverDrive. It didn’t offer me nearly as much as OD or Hoopla, but it still had books of high interest, with the added advantage that any of the ones I wanted was available on demand, with a three-week borrow and renewable. (Some books are long. )

I was not happy but not surprised when one book I wanted had a waiting list at OD once it moved over, but I can live with waiting lists. Today the blow fell and my lingering question was answered. Not all the audiobooks made the transition. I just had to burn an Audible credit on an audiobook I could have listened to on the RB Digital app, if I’d got around to it in time. Not in either of my OD libraries that had provided RB Digital. I’m afraid to check for others; I figure that’s bad news that can wait.

Where have you gone, Teddy Roosevelt?
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 11:31 AM   #2
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Hmm. I didn't know this. One of my libraries has RB Digital, but I rarely use it. Just the other day, though, I checked the offerings and though I noticed the touting of the Libby app, it didn't register as Overdrive, since I don't use Libby.

I'm still seeing a catalog of RB Digital titles, though; that hasn't disappeared at my library.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2020, 12:14 PM   #3
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Hmm. I didn't know this. One of my libraries has RB Digital, but I rarely use it. Just the other day, though, I checked the offerings and though I noticed the touting of the Libby app, it didn't register as Overdrive, since I don't use Libby.

I'm still seeing a catalog of RB Digital titles, though; that hasn't disappeared at my library.
I can still log into the RB Digital page and my wishlist is unchanged. However, if I look in Libby or OverDrive, I can’t access my RB Digital wishlist and the book is not available.

Another had I but known.... I hate having to blow a credit on a book I could have gotten for free.
Old 09-19-2020, 12:28 PM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Here are a couple of threads dealing with the relationship between OverDrive and RBdigital:

OverDrive sold to private equity firm KKR

Overdrive to Acquire RBDigital
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 11:18 AM   #5
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I had only a couple of RB Digital books that I wanted when the imminent demise was announced. We Are All Shipwrecks by Kelly Carlisle was okay, but not great. I can get the discs for The Apparitionists by Peter Manseau, which is as much about really liking the narrator Jefferson Mays.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2020, 05:02 PM   #6
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Today at my library I can still see the RBDigital catalog, but when I clicked on the title to borrow it I was redirected to the Libby app page. So I guess no more RBDitial. Shame, it had titles that my library didn't have in Overdrive. And I don't want to do Libby, I want to download my books and put them on my Sansa.
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 05:32 PM   #7
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
Today at my library I can still see the RBDigital catalog, but when I clicked on the title to borrow it I was redirected to the Libby app page. So I guess no more RBDitial. Shame, it had titles that my library didn't have in Overdrive. And I don't want to do Libby, I want to download my books and put them on my Sansa.
S
Libby won’t have the titles if OverDrive doesn’t, so that aspect doesn’t matter. I even experimented with clicking on a title in my RB Digital wishlist and then looking at the Libby app page when I was kicked to it. It wasn’t there.
Old 09-21-2020, 03:52 AM   #8
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
My state library uses RBDigital for magazines, which seems to still be working as usual (which is to say, erratically and a giant resource hog). Is that going over to Libby also?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 03:48 AM   #9
rhyta
Enthusiast
rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ST Nook w/Glowlight (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
My state library uses RBDigital for magazines, which seems to still be working as usual (which is to say, erratically and a giant resource hog). Is that going over to Libby also?
It seems they are pushing Libby, our libraries lost RB digital in 2020. We don't have Hoopla and emagazines are accessed by Flipster. I can still use Overdrive for audio so still can use my MP3 player but who knows when they will decide to get rid of it too.
rhyta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 09:13 AM   #10
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyta View Post
It seems they are pushing Libby, our libraries lost RB digital in 2020. We don't have Hoopla and emagazines are accessed by Flipster. I can still use Overdrive for audio so still can use my MP3 player but who knows when they will decide to get rid of it too.
You're replying to a message from over a year ago. Magazines have all gone to OD/Libby here since then.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 03:47 AM   #11
rhyta
Enthusiast
rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ST Nook w/Glowlight (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
You're replying to a message from over a year ago. Magazines have all gone to OD/Libby here since then.
I am aware it is an old thread, I was merely commenting on what was available at the local libraries in my area. Didn't notice you were in Australia.
rhyta is offline   Reply With Quote