Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-24-2022, 12:53 PM   #31
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post
I have recently bought a couple of books that each ./ought/ to have had the conventional note on the copyright page that chapters X to Y have previously appeared in a different form (as a short story in a anthology)
What percentage of the books did those sections make up? I wouldn't be upset about something like that unless the previously excerpted section made up the bulk of the book.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 01:52 PM   #32
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
A lot of famous author books are pirated from ARC.

I don't see that this changes much. Amazon already has an almost secretive "we'll disable your account if you return too much", but they don't spell out how it works and appealing is difficult (say you've been unlucky with local carrier breaking/stealing stuff or buying garbage).

Some sellers (physical local and online) don't take returns at all on "digital content", though not sure either of those is legal in EU (various implementations of Distance Selling Cooling Off Period and Fit for purpose/as advertised SOGA by each National Government).

Like Diap Dealer, I'm sceptical that this is any more than PR.
EU sellers only have to accept returns on digital content if you haven't started downloading/streaming it yet. Nintendo of Europe I've heard is particularly strict on this even more so than Nintendo of America where there's even worse consumer protections (IIRC they don't even have to refund preorders?)
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 04:50 PM   #33
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Amazon should ditch the so called "one click", which sometimes isn't. All online ordering should have at least two stages: "buy" (allowing multiple items) and "checkout" (or "trolley" or "basket") with choice of payment & delivery.
I'm not defending Amazon. I'm saying that since you can't force Amazon to change its website to suit your preferences, the logical course of action is to modify your own behaviour to mitigate the problem.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 05:56 PM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Yeah, I agree. I think it is a good change. I actually would have set it at 25%, but as someone pointed out 10% is about what you get in a free sample, so it makes sense.
In a lot of cases, what you get with a sample is not enough of a sample.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 06:24 PM   #35
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
EU sellers only have to accept returns on digital content if you haven't started downloading/streaming it yet. Nintendo of Europe I've heard is particularly strict on this even more so than Nintendo of America where there's even worse consumer protections (IIRC they don't even have to refund preorders?)
You can get your money back on cancelled preorders by contacting the issuer of your credit card.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 07:22 PM   #36
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
In a lot of cases, what you get with a sample is not enough of a sample.
I know I've mentioned this in other threads, but this reason explains what I mostly use Kindle Unlimited for.

When Amazon puts up a deal on KU for cheap, I subscribe. Then I download a fairly high amount of books, reading them sometimes, but more often using them as "samples". If I like the book from reading part of it, I will put it on my "potential buys" list and then return the book and get another KU book (and do the same thing with that next book). This way, the "samples" are as large or as small as you need them to be. I go back later, usually after the KU subscription has expired, and buy a few from my "potential buys" list that I just created.

I have had a few of the normal Amazon samples that never even made it into the book's story itself. There were so many preliminary acknowledgements, advertisements for other books in a series, etc., that the sample ran out before I got to read even the first word of the story. This is relatively rare, but it has happened to me. More often, I get to read a few pages, but it is a really short sample to base any judgments on.

Of course, my "extended sample" use for KU only works on books that are part of KU in the first place. So while this technique is of value, it's of limited value. That's why I only use it - subscribing to KU - when Amazon has some cheap deal on KU in the first place. I'll dedicate a few dollars to finding books that I'd like to purchase, but not the normal $9.99/month that KU costs.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 08:26 PM   #37
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
What percentage of the books did those sections make up? I wouldn't be upset about something like that unless the previously excerpted section made up the bulk of the book.
p256-283 of 462
p 331-382 of 383

And also a section from a story I hadn't read
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 10:33 AM   #38
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, Kindle 2nd gen, kindle keyboard
Quote:
I'm guessing that is the reason that ebooks can be returned where other digital rentals can't.

I'd bet Amazon sells significantly more books due to one click. It takes away the tendency to put a bunch of potential purchases into a cart and then whittle it down to those you 'really' want.
You may be right
Gardenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 10:44 AM   #39
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
You can get your money back on cancelled preorders by contacting the issuer of your credit card.
Apache
If you're talking about doing a chargeback that's a really quick way to get your account banned. Pretty sure most of the digital content stores will do that too so it's really not good advice unless you don't care about losing access to anything in the account...
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 07:27 PM   #40
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Chargebacks for items or services that were not rendered are legal and any company that retaliates against a customer could find itself in legal trouble, not to mention actions by the credit companies.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 11:10 AM   #41
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Chargebacks for items or services that were not rendered are legal and any company that retaliates against a customer could find itself in legal trouble, not to mention actions by the credit companies.
Apache
There we get to a sticky point. Returns of the Item ORDERED AND DELIVERED.
Was it the Item ordered? Was it Delivered (when promised or reasonable time)?
The subjective part, was it defective?
Was it (reasonably) accurately described in the Catalog?

With a print book, manufacturing errors were easy to spot. Missing/wrong signatures. Print quality (Expecting coffee table quality print from a dime novel is absurd?). Extreme shearing errors (again, the type, price dictates the accuracy. Paperbacks slightly crooked vs Coffee table books)?

The first group involves the Card issuer.
OTOH the second group is a Warranty issue, not a 'return'.

Those companies that offer 'Like it or Return it' returns offer that as Policy, not Law. Those policies get withdrawn or Modified (for new purchases) because of abuse. If they offer (within the terms), then they must comply.
I remember when Macy's allowed returns (for store credit) without a receipt (wedding gifts were a big%), till it got abused with items bought elsewhere for less.

The bottom line is I have no issue with Amazon tightening the rules.
The cheaters have spoiled another good thing for all of us.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 12:45 PM   #42
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
strangely, while they tighten the rules on ebooks, many printed books now come with 30 days free returns!
[ i see this on many sheet music books, where I have been comparing kindle and paperback offerings of same text ]
e.g.
Return this item for free
Free returns are available for the shipping address you chose. For a full refund with no deduction for return shipping, you can return the item for any reason in new and unused condition.

i guess that 1000s of prime items , including 100s of non fiction books, now have the 30 days free returns deal attached.

amost as silly is listing books with a subscribe and save option - get up to 15% off - then cancel after 1st delivery

here's a random one for those who don't believe me
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mary-Poppin...ns%2C71&sr=8-1
Unlock 5% savings by adding this product and 4 more products to your next delivery. Learn more
First delivery on Oct 28 change
Only 10 left in stock.
Qty:
Deliver every:

2 months (Most common)
Set Up Now
Auto-deliveries sold by ⭐ Books2Door ® and Fulfilled by Amazon

a fresh one every 2 months ( most popular) makes sens eonly if u frequently spill coffee on your books ?

Last edited by stumped; 09-26-2022 at 12:58 PM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 12:47 PM   #43
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
You mean they could just read the physical book and return it for a full refund when they were done?! My god, where's the outrage?
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 01:21 PM   #44
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
You mean they could just read the physical book and return it for a full refund when they were done?! My god, where's the outrage?
yep. I have done that with a few sheet music books after finding I did not much like a lot of the tunes.

also, amazon send the" refund complete " email within an hour of me dropping off the package at nearest courier or post office. The amazon return label gets scanned and amazon somehow get immediately notified, so they refund without waiting to check condition.

I cant do this now, with an ageing brain, but when I was much younger, I could memorise a lot of pop music given some time in the shop. [ as a skint teenager I would slowly browse sheet music for individual pop songs of the day, then rush home and practice what I'd been staring at]
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 03:31 PM   #45
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Rest assured, I am outraged
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote