Notices

Old 09-23-2022, 06:46 PM   #346
Jacques Q.
Connoisseur
Jacques Q. began at the beginning.

Device: quite a few Kindles...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You really should get used to sending ePub so when it's 100% switched over, you'll be ready to go.
I agree in theory, but the last time I tried (which was quite recently) :
1/ only part of the (not particularly long) title appeared,
2/ the cover was gone...
Usually I stick with one solution as long as it works, especially if it works better than the one supposed to replace it.
Jacques Q. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 10:14 PM   #347
GeniusJ
Connoisseur
GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
At the moment, the only way to get the correct title & author name as well as covers showing up is to use the Send to Kindle app and send it in MOBI format. It'll probably be that way until Amazon gets their act together and fixes their back end.
GeniusJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 04:31 AM   #348
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Or use USB and either no WiFi/Cellular at all, or connect to Calibre a 2nd time after Sync for Calibre to repair the covers.

I have no problem putting PD or Amazon eBooks on my 4 Kindle models from Calibre, and I keep cable connected to charge while Kindle Indexes after software eject on desktop or Calibre.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 05:04 AM   #349
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Or use USB and either no WiFi/Cellular at all, or connect to Calibre a 2nd time after Sync for Calibre to repair the covers.

I have no problem putting PD or Amazon eBooks on my 4 Kindle models from Calibre, and I keep cable connected to charge while Kindle Indexes after software eject on desktop or Calibre.
If you keep the WiFi off, you won't have to connect a 2nd time.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 03:07 AM   #350
Jacques Q.
Connoisseur
Jacques Q. began at the beginning.

Device: quite a few Kindles...
Quote:
True, but my problem is slightly different : I have a library of over 35000 e-books and about 10 people (friends and relatives) using them from my Amazon account, which is why I want to keep them available in the Amazon cloud - knowing that the fact that not one single Kindle will be able to show more than 15000 titles (including collections) onscreen, which forces us to download the majority of these books from the Amazon site directly if we want them.
With a 128 Gb memory (although it would be boring having to sideload to up to 10 Kindles) or the possibility to have any number of titles listed onscreen to download, things would be different, but I have lost hope that any of these two things will ever happen.
Jacques Q. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 03:34 AM   #351
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Q. View Post
True, but my problem is slightly different : I have a library of over 35000 e-books and about 10 people (friends and relatives) using them from my Amazon account, which is why I want to keep them available in the Amazon cloud - knowing that the fact that not one single Kindle will be able to show more than 15000 titles (including collections) onscreen, which forces us to download the majority of these books from the Amazon site directly if we want them.
With a 128 Gb memory (although it would be boring having to sideload to up to 10 Kindles) or the possibility to have any number of titles listed onscreen to download, things would be different, but I have lost hope that any of these two things will ever happen.
Out of a perhaps morbid curiosity, how are you doing this and complying with Amazon's terms of service. I was under the impression that Amazon offered two ways for someone else to read your ebooks.

The first option being Family Library that allows up to two adult Amazon accounts and up to 4 teen/children accounts to be linked. The other option is the ability to lend an Amazon ebook to a friend. Sadly, once you have lent an ebook once, it is locked and can not be lent again.

What you are describing does not seem to fit either of those two options. I may be wrong and there are other options that I am not aware of in the EU but, IMNSHO, what you are describing is a fairly massive violation of Amazon's TOS. Even worse, unless every book in your Amazon cloud is public domain whether it was purchased from Amazon or other vendors, you are also condoning and promoting copyright violation on a moderately massive scale.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 05:37 AM   #352
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
What you are describing does not seem to fit either of those two options. I may be wrong and there are other options that I am not aware of in the EU but, IMNSHO, what you are describing is a fairly massive violation of Amazon's TOS. Even worse, unless every book in your Amazon cloud is public domain whether it was purchased from Amazon or other vendors, you are also condoning and promoting copyright violation on a moderately massive scale.
There are no other options to share Kindle eBooks in the EU. It's just as much a TOS violation in the EU as in the US.
Old 09-25-2022, 05:39 AM   #353
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Q. View Post
This solution is to side load so these other people can stop reading your eBooks. I don't have a problem sharing with a few friends/family, but 10 people is too many.
Old 09-25-2022, 06:02 AM   #354
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There are no other options to share Kindle eBooks in the EU. It's just as much a TOS violation in the EU as in the US.
It's also two issues:
1) Security issue for person sharing their account.
2) in UK & probably all EU countries and associates it's violating civil law on copyright. Penalties in civil law are based on (very) hypothetical damages unlike maximum tariffs in violations of criminal law.

There is also the issue is "Send to Kindle" a genuine private "cloud storage" system? What access does Amazon's marketing and book systems have to the ebooks that are emailed? Does the service infringe copyright or privacy laws? Amazon's Ring system certainly infringes privacy laws in many countries because they share information with police without a warrant.

You'd not want to use "Send to Kindle" if you lived in a country with an oppressive regime or dodgy TLAs. What Amazon does with the files is opaque as is their security and privacy.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 06:08 AM   #355
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
It's also two issues:
1) Security issue for person sharing their account.
2) in UK & probably all EU countries and associates it's violating civil law on copyright. Penalties in civil law are based on (very) hypothetical damages unlike maximum tariffs in violations of criminal law.

There is also the issue is "Send to Kindle" a genuine private "cloud storage" system? What access does Amazon's marketing and book systems have to the ebooks that are emailed? Does the service infringe copyright or privacy laws? Amazon's Ring system certainly infringes privacy laws in many countries because they share information with police without a warrant.

You'd not want to use "Send to Kindle" if you lived in a country with an oppressive regime or dodgy TLAs. What Amazon does with the files is opaque as is their security and privacy.
And Jacques could have his account shut down by Amazon without any notice.
Old 10-03-2022, 12:52 AM   #356
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
I've started using the send to kindle feature again.

It was discovered that ToC is one of the biggest culprits for a book being rejected by Amazon's conversion service. Now that they let up a bit, I found that most of the books I sent have their ToCs just stripped.

Every time I thought I could just go back to sideloading via their email service, it's just problems after problems.
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 01:29 AM   #357
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hleo12 View Post
It was discovered that ToC is one of the biggest culprits for a book being rejected by Amazon's conversion service. Now that they let up a bit, I found that most of the books I sent have their ToCs just stripped.
Try the sending my toc test file to your Kindle. If the TOC is still stripped, there's definitely a bug in Amazon's conversion service.

If the TOC isn't stripped, most likely your books don't contain NCX/NAV-based TOCs and/or the guide/landmark entries for the HTML TOCs are missing.
Attached Files
File Type: epub toc_test.epub (11.7 KB, 33 views)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 07:54 AM   #358
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Try the sending my toc test file to your Kindle. If the TOC is still stripped, there's definitely a bug in Amazon's conversion service.

If the TOC isn't stripped, most likely your books don't contain NCX/NAV-based TOCs and/or the guide/landmark entries for the HTML TOCs are missing.
Thank you. After further testing, I found out the books that were stripped were the publishers used these weird ids for the ToC markers.

After getting that sorted out in Calibre checker, I just deleted and regenerated a new ToC.

It's all fixed now. I'm just bummed I have to go these extra steps just to satisfy Amazon's weird requirements, when converting and sideloading don't have this problem.
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 07:58 AM   #359
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Amazon's conversion is quirky. Previously a TOC that was unacceptable to kindlegen would cause the personal document to be rejected during conversion. Now it will strip out the entire TOC instead and allow conversion to complete.

Unfortunately one of the criteria that can cause TOC removal is any entry linking to a body element instead of just linking to the HTML file. That situation occurs frequently because calibre's conversion of books from AZW3 format generates TOCs with those links.

So sending personal document EPUB that started out as Kindle books usually results in TOC removal.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 08:00 AM   #360
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by hleo12 View Post
After getting that sorted out in Calibre checker, I just deleted and regenerated a new ToC.
If they look something like:

Code:
text/part0004.html#3Q280-bb387bb408464af78b24389a790813fa
Then those are likely actually being produced by calibre during conversion from a Kindle format. See my prior post.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub kindle