Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 11-07-2018, 01:12 PM   #1
madame_newbie
Connoisseur
madame_newbie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Basic 2014 | Kindle Paperwhite 3
Kindle Driver Error When Connected to Calibre

Okay, I am not sure exactly if this is the correct forum but it is a calibre related error more than it is a kindle one.

Whenever I connect my kindle (KT2 2014 Basic), to calibre, it will give me a driver error. Stating that my Kindle driver has an error and to fix it. I have tried the Windows' Driver tool and CMD but it fails all the time stating that whatever error I have, it is irreparable.

Now, I notice this error only happens if I have a calibre metadata or any calibre transferred files on my Kindle. I once deleted all of my ebooks and calibre metadata txt file. And once I do, the windows manages to fix whatever error the drive had.

My main issue is that as soon as I reconnect to calibre, kindle will start again with the driver issues. I could sometime transfers one book before it disconnects, demanding I fix the drive.

I am hoping that this less of a Kindle issue and more of a calibre bug that can be fixed. This happened only recently, so am unsure if I should roll back or if there's a solution to this.

So to sum it up:
1) Kindle shows driver error upon connection to Calibre.
2) CMD/Windows Drivers Could Not Fix Unless all of calibre data are purged.

Thank you in advance.
madame_newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 03:44 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
This sounds weird.
Someone else (Kovid?) will have to confirm that Calibre can even throw those messages.

What version of Calibre (and 32 or x64 bit)? What version of windows?

One thing you can try, is uninstall Calibre (your Library is left alone). Download and install a fresh copy from ONLY the official site.

Another shot (in the dimness )
with Calibre NOT running
In the configuration folder: Delete the file that starts with: Device_drivers_Kindle...

All you will lose is customizations you made from the defaults
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:13 PM   #3
madame_newbie
Connoisseur

Ah, it's not Calibre throwing this message but Windows - it doesn't show that error if I had removed all traces of Calibre on the Kindle and even fixed the driver error (refused if calibre is remotely there).

And this is Calibre 64bit on Windows 10. BUt yes, I will see if reinstalling to an older version might fix it. I'd rather this is a software bug than a hardware one cause Kindle is expensive here.
Old 11-09-2018, 05:40 AM   #4
madame_newbie
Connoisseur

I had to reinstall calibre and re-edit my preference but it finally stopped giving me driver errors. I had to reinstall python cause apparently reinstalling calibre made librariansync not work anymore but at least I have my kindle back...for now.

Tags
troubleshooting