Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 08-12-2011, 06:19 PM   #1
zombiesushi
zombiesushi began at the beginning.

Device: none
Help with Mobipocket on java mobile phone...

((New here, just looking for some answers, if this is the wrong place to post this I apologize in advance)) Ive been trying to get the java version of Mobipocket to work on my phone (an LG 900g aka LG GW300) since I got it and no matter where I put my books, Mobi doesn't seem to see them. Does anybody else have any experience with this problem? Mobipocket has always been my reader of choice for my computer and I really would like to get this to work on my phone as well, I really would prefer not to have to convert all my books to JAR files if I don't have to
zombiesushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:51 PM   #2
pouncer
pouncer rocks like Gibraltar!pouncer rocks like Gibraltar!pouncer rocks like Gibraltar!pouncer rocks like Gibraltar!pouncer rocks like Gibraltar!pouncer rocks like Gibraltar!pouncer rocks like Gibraltar!pouncer rocks like Gibraltar!pouncer rocks like Gibraltar!pouncer rocks like Gibraltar!pouncer rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: literati
Hi,

I have similar experience with reading ebooks on the Tracfone Motorola ex124g. I almost but not quite have it working

I bought an micro SD card and added folders and files to that card from my PC, not the phone. I set up a folder called "Apps_Java" where I copied the "MobiPocket" beta for java smart phones. I set up another folder called "MobiBooks" where I copied several of the DRM-free mobi format (*.prc extension) files from the Baen free website. I moved the card into the Tracfone and turned it on.

In the phone's menus I selected tools, "my folders", "Memory Card" and worked thru the menu to the Apps_Java folder. The Mobipockerreader.Jad file, when selected, began the install automagically.

The application went thru dozens of warnings about unsigned apps and access to file. I heedlessly gave the app everything it demanded. Read access, write access, write home to mother access, anything.

To run the app I had to find it. It installed itself, on the ex124g, under a "games" icon, and a Java menu. It still called itself mobipocketreader.

The initial run, the app could not find any books. Also, when I went thru menus to the folder I'd created, "MobiBooks" the files were there, but were not "associated" in the way Windows has them, to be opened in any application.

There was, however, a new folder in the menus that I had NOT created, called ebooks. I conjectured the Java Mobi installer had created this location and was looking there, and only there, for ebooks. I used the ex124g tools to move the *.prc files from my folder "Mobibooks" to the ebook folder. (This took me longer to figure out than it should. The trick is to highlight the target folder, then open a menu, and choose "select". Then the files drop into the as yet unopened folder.)

I restarted the games menu and Mobireader and LO & BEHOLD it found a bunch of great Lois Bujold and Eric Flint stuff.

Now, the remaining problem is that the only way I have, so far, discovered to turn the page is to bring up a virtual control panel. This blue "keyboard" arrangement obscures much of the text. I hope to figure out key combos or offscreen touch points to turn the pages instead. Still working on it.

Meanwhile the mobipocket orients in portrait or landscape, various color schemes, various colors, works just like on the old Franklin Bookman or Palm Zire. So I have a lot of built in familiarity with and fondness for the reader.

Hope this helps. Kudos to Tracfone for making a java smart phone available cheaply without heavy monthly connect fees. (Note, I didn't burn one minute of cell service getting this working) Great device for multiple purposes. (FM radio, MP3 player, the phone, for me, is just gravy on top.)

Anybody with a suggestion about mobipocket java reader in beta and turning pages therein, please contribute.
pouncer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:19 PM   #3
pouncer
pouncer rocks like Gibraltar!pouncer rocks like Gibraltar!pouncer rocks like Gibraltar!pouncer rocks like Gibraltar!pouncer rocks like Gibraltar!pouncer rocks like Gibraltar!pouncer rocks like Gibraltar!pouncer rocks like Gibraltar!pouncer rocks like Gibraltar!pouncer rocks like Gibraltar!pouncer rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: literati
Okay, a follow up with the solution.

I feel dumb. "Intuitive" means obvious -- in RETROSPECT.

So, the "send" and "end" red and green buttons would be obvious. But they don't actually turn pages. The up and down volume buttons are obvious. But they don't turn pages, either.

The phone is a touch screen. So, if you brush the displayed page with a fingertip, bottom to top, you get the next page. If you brush top to bottom, you get the previous page.

Obvious. Only took me three days....
pouncer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 12:24 PM   #4
jlg432
Addict
jlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: jetBook, ALP, Pandigital 7"Color(Black+ White), Kyros MID7015a
Pouncer did the "ebooks" folder get created on the card? If so I guess you could have used your PC + Card reader/writer to move the files over.

BTW - great job!

I have mobi reader on my Palm 515 as well as my desktop but since I now have dedicated ereaders I just keep the Palm for PDA fuctions and Look up for my Movie collection database.

John

Last edited by jlg432; 09-13-2011 at 12:28 PM.
jlg432 is offline   Reply With Quote