Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-07-2010, 01:41 PM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
News from WWDC: New iPhone 4 - 326 DPI screen

http://live.gdgt.com/2010/06/07/live...note-coverage/

Seems like something you'd need to see in real life to appreciate

3.5 inch display
960 x 640 pixels
800:1 contrast ratio (4x that of current iPhone 3GS)
326 pixels per inch
78% pixels of the iPad.

Last edited by kjk; 06-07-2010 at 01:46 PM.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 01:58 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I am totally expecting a new iPad based on the new stuff in the iPhone 4.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2010, 02:04 PM   #3
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I am totally expecting a new iPad based on the new stuff in the iPhone 4.
ahahah me too! Maybe 2 revisions away.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:17 PM   #4
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
"Having already cornered 22% of the ebook market in 65 days, iBooks is a resounding success. Over 5 million books have been downloaded which comes out to about 2.5 books per iPad.

Only a few weeks old, and updates are coming to the iBooks app. The first is a new bookmark feature. you can easily mark your place in your books, view table of contents, and return to exactly where you left off. The second new feature is the ability to open PDF's within iBooks. Now you can download thousands of publications on the Internet, import them into i Books, and read them with the same ease of use as a regular ebook.

Expect to see these new features coming soon to your iPad"
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 02:18 PM   #5
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
3 posts and no trolls yet?

Won't matter how many DPI this thing will have ... it ain't electronic ink and it ain't being taken seriously by "true" ebook readers.

I'm excited. I doubt I will read in a smaller font size than now but I guess it'll look a lot sharper. Then again, I read on Palm where every letter consisted of a mere 3 pixels, maybe 4, and that was fine too.

It's actually harder for me to read my own scribbles, hehe
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2010, 02:20 PM   #6
kjk

Quote:
. If you get a PDF in Mail, tap on that and you’ll go right to iBooks.
That is odd-they are using iBooks as the PDF reader? I expected a more lightweight solution, like a Preview app or something.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:57 PM   #7
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
hmm.. does that make me a "fake" ebook reader? oh well. to quote groucho marx.. "please accept my resignation. i don't want to belong to any club that will accept people like me as a member."
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 03:04 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
hmm.. does that make me a "fake" ebook reader? oh well. to quote groucho marx.. "please accept my resignation. i don't want to belong to any club that will accept people like me as a member."
Also from Groucho Marx...

I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:04 PM   #9
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Scott, there's a number of people in this forum who feel that reading on anything other than an eInk device is evil. Backscreen, lack of contrast ... it's all so un-booklike and to be avoided.

Those "purists" are who I meant, and I didn't really mean anything bad by it, just that they'll not be persuaded to go iPhone for their reading habits.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 03:06 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

If the LCD screen does not bother my eyes, then I'm ok with reading. I can read on an iPod Touch 2G and an iPad. Besides, my monitor is LCD and I've no problem reading MR.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:07 PM   #11
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
mores. i know. i was making a joke... people need a sense of humor here.. if they were true purists they wouldn't even be reading on eink but would be back on paper. or stone tablets..
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 03:17 PM   #12
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Can I vote early on that we don't turn this into yet another ink vs LCD thread before it really gets started.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 03:27 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Let's keep this thread on topic please, folks.

Thanks.

[Moderator]
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 03:30 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Well,with the new iPhone screen, you may find text better then your eink screens.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:38 PM   #15
kjk

The iPad will need to go to 2560x1920 to get 330 dpi. They are gonna need an A5 processor :P