Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 11-18-2017, 07:23 PM   #1
C-novice
ReadingZealot
C-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to behold

Device: kobo ARC, Samsung Tab4
Page error msg on opening Sigil

Each time I open Sigil, I got this message. If I open an epub (epub 2) file and want to add a Blank File or Split at Cursor, a similar message appears.

I'm not knowledgeable about the 'ins and outs' of Sigil so I have no idea how to troubleshoot this. Any help will be super welcome.

Version .9.8
QT 5.9.2

Click image for larger version

Name:	sigil-scrn.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	160108

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-19-2017 at 12:55 PM.
C-novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 07:34 PM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Please Switch to CodeView mode and copy and paste the html to be inside CODE tags here (or snap a screen shot of the html) so that we can see what is happening in line 10 on column 10
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2017, 07:38 PM   #3
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Also, on what platform is this? If Linux, where did you get it from or did you build it youself? Again, if Linux, have you properly installed the right python packages?
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 10:26 PM   #4
C-novice
ReadingZealot
C-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Also, on what platform is this? If Linux, where did you get it from or did you build it youself? Again, if Linux, have you properly installed the right python packages?
PCLOS KDE Plasma5. Got it via Synaptic. (Build it myself ?, Wouldn't know where / how to begin .

What python packages should I look for? I'll check Synpatic to see if they're there.
Thanks for responding.

Old 11-18-2017, 10:51 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Almost sounds like some sort of encoding issue to me.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2017, 10:59 PM   #6
C-novice
ReadingZealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Almost sounds like some sort of encoding issue to me.
Sad to say, my knowledge is just 'using Sigil' to do stuff I need to do.

I find though, that if I delete instances of ' ' the pink box and its message disappeared. Which of course is no solution but right now, I get the pages I'm working on done and I'm not stuck with an unfinished file.

In any case, I hope there's a way to resolve this issue once and for all.
Old 11-19-2017, 02:21 AM   #7
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
This is most likely an encoding issue. Do you use an external HTML editor to create your HTML files? If so, which one?

Since Sigil Linux entity problems are sometimes caused by missing/corrupted/outdated libxml2 packages, it couldn't hurt to reinstall libxml2 with your package manager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-novice View Post
I find though, that if I delete instances of ' ' the pink box and its message disappeared.
Try the following:

1. Select Edit > Preferences > Preserve Entities.
2. Delete   and add  
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 04:13 AM   #8
C-novice
ReadingZealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
This is most likely an encoding issue. Do you use an external HTML editor to create your HTML files? If so, which one?

Since Sigil Linux entity problems are sometimes caused by missing/corrupted/outdated libxml2 packages, it couldn't hurt to reinstall libxml2 with your package manager.

Try the following:

1. Select Edit > Preferences > Preserve Entities.
2. Delete   and add  
I didn't use an external HTML editor.
reinstalling libxml2-Python 2 didn't help.
replacing   with   didn't help either but when I go into CodeView and manually make the change to each file, then it works (but only with current files). Opening Sigil at first brings up the error.

However, when I change to Epub 3.0 and start Sigil, add new HTML files or use Split at Cursor, no problem at all. As well, even though Preserve Entities has   listed, the files' codeview shows  

There is also libxml2 -Python3 in Synaptic which is not installed? Would installing this makes any difference to epub 2.0?
Old 11-19-2017, 04:39 AM   #9
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-novice View Post
reinstalling libxml2-Python 2 didn't help.
That package contains libxml2 Python 2.x files. However, you should also see a standalone libxml2 or lib64xml2 package in your package manager.

I also couldn't hurt to enter sigil in a terminal window. You might get some helpful warning messages during start-up.

One more question: are you creating epubs with non-Latin text, e.g. Chinese or Greek characters?

Last edited by Doitsu; 11-19-2017 at 04:42 AM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 06:03 AM   #10
C-novice
ReadingZealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
That package contains libxml2 Python 2.x files. However, you should also see a standalone libxml2 or lib64xml2 package in your package manager.

I also couldn't hurt to enter sigil in a terminal window. You might get some helpful warning messages during start-up.

One more question: are you creating epubs with non-Latin text, e.g. Chinese or Greek characters?
Doitsu, thanks for persevering with this -much appreciated .
I do see that lib64xml2_2 installed.
entering 'sigil' in terminal brought nothing interesting except it opens Sigil with the same error message. No other warning message(s).
No, I'm not using any non-Latin text.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:16 AM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've got a PCLOS KDE virtual machine set up, so something must've been reported about Sigil and that particular Linux distro in the past, but unfortunately, I can't duplicate the issue. My PCLOS VM has Qt5.9.1 rather than 5.9.2, but I have no issues with Sigil/5.9.2 on any other distros.

I've found this: http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php?topic=144184.0

But they seem to be referring to the sigil 0.9.8-3 synaptic package and the version I have installed (and the only version showing as available) is 0.9.8-2.

If they've broken something with their latest sigil package (or their Qt packages), the only thing I can recommend is uninstalling the synaptics version and using my stand-alone Sigil installer from the stickied threads above.

EDIT: I've updated to sigil 0.9.8-3 on PCLOS KDE and still can't reproduce the error (still sticking with Qt5.9.2 for now). Best guess is that pclos broke something in their most recent qtwebkit and/or libxml2 packages.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-19-2017 at 08:43 AM.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:37 AM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I updated to the latest synaptic version of libxml2 on PCLOS (2.7.1-1) and still don't experience the issue.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-19-2017 at 11:31 AM.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:51 AM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Updated to the latest synaptic versions of lib64qt5webkit5 and lib64qt5webkitwidgets5 on PCLOS with no problems. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that their latest QtWebkit and QtWebkitWidgets base versions (5.9.1-2) don't match their other core qt packages versions (5.9.2-X). I'm running 5.9.1-X across the board with all Qt packages on my PCLOS system and am having no problems at all.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-19-2017 at 10:56 AM.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:52 AM   #14
C-novice
ReadingZealot

Quote:
I updated to the latest synaptic version of libxml2 on PCLOS (2.7.1-1) and still don't experience the issue.
How weird then. . . . and you're launching from Epub 2.0? If I launch Sigil with Epub version 3.0, all is well.

I may give the standalone installer a try. Would it need upgrading at all though?
Old 11-19-2017, 11:15 AM   #15
C-novice
ReadingZealot

Quote:
Looking back at this,
libxml2 on PCLOS (2.7.1-1)? you found this version in Synaptic? I don't see it. These I see are installed among others

lib64xml2_2 ver 2.9.7-1
libxml2-python ver 2.9.7-1
lib64xml++2.6_2 ver 2.40.1-2

Tags
invalid char, page error