Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-16-2011, 02:09 PM   #76
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
I resemble that remark!
I want to resemble that remark, lol.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 05:30 PM   #77
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Too busy reading to notice

Only ride public transportation to the local (Seattle Sounders) soccer matches, and am reading from the moment we get on (about the only ones aboard) to the moment we get off (too crowded to see more than the peeps in front of us).

I've never really looked around to see what, or if, anyone else is using for reading. Judging from the raucous crowds at the games, I'd say most of the people at that time are soccer fans on the way to the tav to get oiled up, so wouldn't tend to carry anything that won't fit in the pocket.

While in D.C. (the OTHER Washington) a couple weeks ago, we made extensive use of the DC Metro subways, and it didn't seem to take long enuff between stops to bother getting any reading material out -- except maybe "short read" newspapers/magazines.

On the plane to and from between the two Washingons, I did notice a couple Kindles and several "glowy" devices of varying sizes within sight. But I tend to stay seated unless Mom Nature is insistent, so didn't really get a look at the whole plane. (Several people on one flight had to be told specifically to turn the devices off, so there were more than I could actually see).

I do agree that few people are voracious readers to begin with. It is probably those who would most likely tend recognize the value of a dedicated ereader's long-term battery life over the convenience of a "does-it-all,-but-requires-daily-charging" glowy device.

Can't say that when I was commuting daily pre-2000 that more than one or two people on the bus (besides me) were ever actually reading anything (book/magazine/newspaper), anyway. So, I don't think there is any way to judge from public use the popularity (or not) of any reading device.

I do, however, believe that the advent of the "does-it-all" glowy devices will severely limit the dedicated ereader market merely because most people aren't dedicated readers to begin with and don't see the point. My wife, for instance, is perfectly happy reading on her iPad. But she uses it constantly for everything except reading unless we are on vacation.
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2011, 06:13 PM   #78
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by eGeezer View Post
I do, however, believe that the advent of the "does-it-all" glowy devices will severely limit the dedicated ereader market merely because most people aren't dedicated readers to begin with and don't see the point.
Another advantage "does-it-all" glowy devices have going for them is that young folk have grown up exposed to glowy devices. While most folks here complain of eyestrain and the like, younger generations are used to staring at glowing displays for long periods of time. For these people, the only remaining draw of dedicated e-ink readers is the long battery life and visibility in brightly lit conditions.

It's really mostly the voracious readers who will consider buying a dedicated ereader anyway and even in the circle of bookworms, there are those that are married to their dt books. I believe what "do-it-all" devices will do is not drive dedicated e-ink reader sales down. Dedicated readers are a niche product and I expect them to continue to be popular in their intended market. Rather, these do-it-all devices will bring ebooks to the masses.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:23 PM   #79
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I've never seen an iPad, Android tablet, nook (of any type), Sony or Kobo in the wild, but I've seen several Kindles. My conclusion is that Kindles are more popular than all the other tablets and ereaders combined.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:59 PM   #80
forcheville
Zealot
forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs650, Boox M92, Samsung Slate 7
I have about 30 minutes daily commute on the tram each way, going through the a part of Melbourne with many offices, schools, corporate HQs etc. Of sizeable the minority who read only about one in 40 or so are using an ereader.
The annoying thing is that you can't see what they are reading. There should be an app which enables you to broadcast the title and cover of your current book, and lists the names and covers of all books being read in the vicinity.
This would vastly improve the popularity of ereaders. You could have a lot of fun guessing who was reading which book, and who was faking their book title.
forcheville is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2011, 12:57 AM   #81
witeowl
Hopeless Geek
witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.witeowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color (manual nooter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Another advantage "does-it-all" glowy devices have going for them is that young folk have grown up exposed to glowy devices. While most folks here complain of eyestrain and the like, younger generations are used to staring at glowing displays for long periods of time. For these people, the only remaining draw of dedicated e-ink readers is the long battery life and visibility in brightly lit conditions.
Spot on. It's really odd (to an old fogey like me), but students who can't stand reading books can become engrossed when it's an ebook on one of our classroom iPod touches. I see it happen all the time (and, yes, I check to see that they've actually been reading).
witeowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:33 AM   #82
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!
captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Tab S 8.4", Samsung S6 Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by forcheville View Post
The annoying thing is that you can't see what they are reading. There should be an app which enables you to broadcast the title and cover of your current book, and lists the names and covers of all books being read in the vicinity.
This would vastly improve the popularity of ereaders. You could have a lot of fun guessing who was reading which book, and who was faking their book title.
Goodness me no - how could I get through my version of Hot Sordid Sex Monthly or the West Ham United Weekly Fanzine without embarrassment!

Last edited by captkjaneway; 06-17-2011 at 02:03 AM.
captkjaneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:45 AM   #83
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'm seeing Kindles in the wild more and more now. Recently:

Two people reading kindles at the gym.
One sitting next to me while on jury duty, and another in line to get in the next day, with a third talking to him about how he just got one and didn't know how to use it yet.
Two other's in line to board an airplane with me.
And one nut reading a Kindle while crossing a street in NYC.
When we first got one just over a year ago, I had never seen (or at least noticed) ereaders in public.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:41 AM   #84
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by captkjaneway View Post
Goodness me no - how could I get through my version of Hot Sordid Sex Monthly or the West Ham United Weekly Fanzine without embarrassment!
Gone are the good times when I used to read BDSM erotica with their telling covers in the underground while looking well put together and professional in my Burberry

Now I am just another woman past her best days reading... Man, this is soooo SAD, I will take a pbook along tomorrow
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:52 AM   #85
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
^ A-ha! So it was you!!!
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:13 AM   #86
MV64
Addict
MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Here in the American midwest, I see e-readers all the time. People carry them through the malls, at my university people sit in the lounges and I'd say 30% of them are reading e-books. One time I even saw 5 of 6 people in one lounge reading on an e-reader.

It's becoming more prevalent, very quickly. And we're right on the cusp of the affordable, almost-impulse buy reader so it's only going to spread faster.
MV64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:44 PM   #87
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV64 View Post
It's becoming more prevalent, very quickly. And we're right on the cusp of the affordable, almost-impulse buy reader so it's only going to spread faster.
That's what I've observed too. Within the last six months or so I've noticed many more ereaders in public. An amazing number of Kindles were sold last Christmas season. I think sales are going to explode later this year because of upcoming Kindle library lending and lower prices. I know several people who are considering purchases now who weren't tempted a year ago.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 03:38 PM   #88
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
There is also the issue of the more there are, the more there will be.

Many people do not jump into new things. Look how long PCs took to really get going.

But as you start seeing ereaders everyday, people who did not know about them and those who knew but were not ready to buy, start thinking, Hey, I want one.

I converted my wife. She actually convinved me to get one (I do a lot of international travel). So, when I upgraded from my PRS-600 to a PRS-650, she got the -600. After all the normal, I like the feel of a book, etc, she now reads more, and really enjoys the ereader.

And the best news, she is coveting my PRS-650, which means I am in line to get the next version.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:07 PM   #89
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
There is also the issue of the more there are, the more there will be.

Many people do not jump into new things. Look how long PCs took to really get going.

But as you start seeing ereaders everyday, people who did not know about them and those who knew but were not ready to buy, start thinking, Hey, I want one.

I converted my wife. She actually convinved me to get one (I do a lot of international travel). So, when I upgraded from my PRS-600 to a PRS-650, she got the -600. After all the normal, I like the feel of a book, etc, she now reads more, and really enjoys the ereader.

And the best news, she is coveting my PRS-650, which means I am in line to get the next version.
My husband and I had a similar situation.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:17 PM   #90
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
In the last year, I've seen LOTS of Kindles here in the UK. They are by far the dominant reader here.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote