Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2021, 10:14 AM   #1
dowlass
dowlass began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 2
.AZW formatting/layout

Hi,

New to the forums here, and ebooks in general.

I downloaded a free book in AZW format (for Kindle) and added it to Calibre. When I use the calibre viewer, or read it in Kindle, the lines are randomly broken or spaced (not sure how to describe it!), but not assembled into the paragraph they should be. The attched screenshot of a page in the Calibre viewer should explain it better.

Everything, the whole text or script, has been broken into 'paragraphs' of less than two incomplete lines, maybe more like one and a half lines.

Is this something wrong with the original AZW ebook file? And can this be corrected by processing in Calibre?

Many thanks
dowlass
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-10-04 at 14.56.28.png
Views:	125
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	189508  
Old 10-04-2021, 10:26 AM   #2
retiredbiker
Addict
retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Oasis, Ubuntu, Jutoh,Kobo Forma
That is a bad book. You often see this from a bad conversion from pdf. "Free" ebook sites often have a lot of these. You can try re-converting it azw3-->azw3 and turn on heuristic processing in the conversion options. That might fix some of it, but there is no magic bullet. The only real way to fix it is to open it in the editor and fix it manually. If you got it at a "free" site, you got what you paid for :>)
Advert
Old 10-04-2021, 10:29 AM   #3
dowlass

Thanks rb,

You took the words right out my mouth...you get what you don't pay for!

I may try the conversion you mention, but I won't hold my breath. Manual editing of a book that length will be a non-starter!

cheers
Old 10-04-2021, 10:54 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
This is an illegal copy of Fear: Trump in the White House by Bob Woodward. It looks like a rather bad conversion from a PDF copy. There is no PDF edition that can be purchased.
Old 10-04-2021, 11:41 AM   #5
dowlass

Thanks JS.

I hope I won't be tracked down for having a bum copy that's unreadable!

As it happens I put it through the washer as @retiredbiker suggested and it's come out quite clean, a lot of the stains removed. I wasn't sure how to operate the 'un-wrap line' factor tool, but a low figure of 0.1 has brought a lot of the text back into the cluster it's meant to be. Some weird spellers hanging about, like words ending in double-L (...LL) all coming out with a single L ending. But can probably live with that.

A lot to learn in the ebook world, I'm sure. But in the process of de-cluttering the house, I've decided all the hard copy books are going to the charity shop!

rgds
Advert
Old 10-04-2021, 11:48 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
ll, li ... are ligatures. A special typesetting piece of type (character) replacement that made narrow characters compact (allows more per line)

They almost never come across via conversion from PDF (Another reason to avoid PDF as a source)
Old 10-04-2021, 12:41 PM   #7
dowlass

Thanks @theducks, interesting to learn.

I'd heard that PDF was a poor format to choose and might not convert well. But I didn't think I was downloading a PDF! In retrospect the AZW I got might well have been made from a PDF, or who knows what porridge mix!
Old 10-05-2021, 03:54 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dowlass View Post
Thanks JS.

I hope I won't be tracked down for having a bum copy that's unreadable!
It's not a bum copy. It's an illegal copy. You should not ne asking for help with it here.
Old 10-05-2021, 06:40 PM   #9
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Moderator Notice
Three points:
  • Don’t ask for help with pirated books. This is a one-time warning; the next time will result in a ban.
  • When it’s obvious a book has been pirated, members ought not provide the help requested.
  • Please report a post in violation and let the mods handle it.

Thanks. Thread closed.
Closed Thread