Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-02-2021, 07:48 PM   #1
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
PocketBook now sold on Amazon

It looks like PocketBook is now selling on Amazon as well as on Newegg.

https://www.amazon.com/s?me=A1IYNWET...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

"Sold by PocketBook International." I don't know if this permanent or not.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 11:55 AM   #2
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
It looks like PocketBook is now selling on Amazon as well as on Newegg.
Good for them. Anything that will help bring more ereader competition in the US is a good thing.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2021, 12:35 PM   #3
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Good for them. Anything that will help bring more ereader competition in the US is a good thing.
I'm not so sure that eReader competition is the issue so much as eBookstore competition is. I suspect that any eReader where you can't buy new books on the device and have them automatically download is going to end up a niche product.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 09:56 PM   #4
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I'm not so sure that eReader competition is the issue so much as eBookstore competition is. I suspect that any eReader where you can't buy new books on the device and have them automatically download is going to end up a niche product.
Can you not buy books on a Pocketbook?
Old 05-03-2021, 10:43 PM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You can buy books from PocketBook's Store (or other associated book stores in Europe). It looks like they've added English titles recently (but they're still definitely in the minority).

You can also buy books from any ePub store via the PocketBook's browser (even from Kobo or Google). The easier way, however, is to buy via your computer (or tablet or smartphone) and use the Send-to-PocketBook feature (app on the device). When you register with PocketBook you get an email address (much like you do with a Kindle) so you can just buy an ePub eBook from anywhere, download the .ascm file and send that to your PocketBook. Since PocketBook has Adobe built-in, it can use the .ascm file to download the book directly. (You can also just copy the .ascm file to your PocketBook via a USB cable.) All three of these methods work with Overdrive as well.

PocketBook also gives you Cloud storage that allows you to upload any book (from any source) and it will sync to your various PocketBook devices. There's also a built-in DropBox app — which I haven't used yet.

So lots of choices.

Last edited by rcentros; 05-03-2021 at 10:46 PM.
Advert
Old 05-03-2021, 10:45 PM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Yep, you can buy books directly from PocketBook's bookstore. I downloaded a couple samples for Tolkien books, but the English selection is not extensive. But the PocketBook is very versatile, allows you to use ePub DRM books from just about any source.
Old 05-04-2021, 10:19 AM   #7
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Apparently you can, but my point is that for most, being able to easily buy and read the books you want is the key. That's why I don't think it will be anything other than a niche product in the US. I'm willing to jump through hoops to read books that I buy at Amazon, on my Kobo reader. My sister isn't.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 10:22 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The Pocketbooks on Amazon are not 7.8" on up.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 12:36 PM   #9
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Pocketbooks on Amazon are not 7.8" on up.
https://www.amazon.com/Pocketbook-In...dp/B07VP62LZC/

https://www.amazon.com/Pocketbook-In...dp/B08VJK1Y1Q/

says otherwise

Last edited by j.p.s; 05-04-2021 at 12:39 PM.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 12:39 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I wasn't looking for color. I was looking for the others.
Old 05-04-2021, 12:42 PM   #11
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I wasn't looking for color. I was looking for the others.
That's not what you wrote, but you are still wrong, as usual.

Last edited by j.p.s; 05-04-2021 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Fix URL
Old 05-04-2021, 02:16 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:

Your URL is malformed.
Old 05-04-2021, 02:29 PM   #13
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Apparently you can, but my point is that for most, being able to easily buy and read the books you want is the key. That's why I don't think it will be anything other than a niche product in the US. I'm willing to jump through hoops to read books that I buy at Amazon, on my Kobo reader. My sister isn't.
My point was that you can of course buy books on any ereader. Your comment:

Quote:
I suspect that any eReader where you can't buy new books on the device and have them automatically download is going to end up a niche product.
confused me.

If you don't want to jump through hoops to read Amazon books on your Kobo, you could buy your books from Kobo.
Old 05-04-2021, 04:29 PM   #14
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Your URL is malformed.
Fixed.
Old 05-04-2021, 04:45 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:

This is not easy to find. Amazon's search is horrid.