Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 09-25-2021, 06:37 AM   #1
AzHar Sologuy
AzHar Sologuy began at the beginning.

Device: none
Unhappy How to make margins lower than -0.9 ?

I want to make my text closer to the top, left , right and bottom but i can't go lower than -0.9 for margins.

Is there any other way to do it ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1111111111111111.png
Views:	113
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	189394   Click image for larger version

Name:	2222222222222222.png
Views:	116
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	189395  
AzHar Sologuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 10:29 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Those settings mostly affect the @page calibre inserts in conversions.
(I'm not sure <0 is valid )

Learn to Edit the code. Why?
Because there are as many ways margins get set as there are MR members
Been doing this (fixing my books) and some still take quite a bit of detective work. The Code Inspector (in the Editor) helps track down where in the Inheritance

BTW What is your Output format (you did read the note at the bottom of that screen?)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 01:11 PM   #3
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
As theducks says, the only sure-fire way is to edit the code. Unfortunately you need to eyeball the html files to see what classes are used on the body tag as well as the p tag. Then fix the css files.

I take a sledge hammer approach and in the html files I globally delete the class on the body tag as well as the p tag for the body paragraphs (e.g., substitute nothing for class="calibre1"), then I add the following to the bottom of the css files.
Code:
body {
    border: 0;
    margin: 0;
    padding: 0;
     width: auto;
}

p {
    margin: 0;
    padding: 0;
    text-indent: 2em;
}
Alternatively, you could fix their css for whatever classes they're using. Also watch out for a div around the entire chapter in each html file, which will also need fixing.

Remember that in the html a p tag with a class has higher precedence over a naked p, regardless of the order in the css file.

Last edited by hobnail; 09-25-2021 at 01:18 PM.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 10:00 PM   #4
deback
Book E d i t o r
deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Laptop
Add the following lines into the appropriate class in the stylesheet.css file:

margin-bottom: 0;
margin-left: 0;
margin-right: 0;
margin-top: 0;

Edit the 0 values to be what you want, such as: 0.5em; instead of 0;
deback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 04:10 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
This is the CSS code I use when I edit eBooks.

Code:
body {
  widows: 1;
  orphans: 1;
  margin-right: 0;
  margin-left: 0;
  text-align: justify;
}

p {
  text-indent: 1.2em;
}
You also have to make sure that any class with text-align: center; has a text-indent: 0; or centered things could be off by 1.2em;

Last edited by JSWolf; 09-28-2021 at 04:13 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote