Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Boyue

Notices

Old 03-10-2018, 08:52 PM   #181
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
Compared to even the free version of FBReader in the Play Store, the version that comes with this tablet is pretty bad. If you were used to using the Play Store version, you probably won't like this version. Almost all settings have been removed.
I noticed that settings were missing. I even tried removing the version that came with the ereader and installing the version from the Playstore, but that version kept crashing on start-up. Make no never mind to me since I always use Moon+ Reader Pro.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 01:35 AM   #182
Anno Domini
Anno Domini began at the beginning.

Device: BOYUE Likebook Plus ebook reader 7.8 inch Carta Screen 300PPI
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyzer View Post
Hello,

Can anyone tell me what's "Full screen refresh setting" please ?

I put it to 1, 10 or never ?

Thanks.
it depends. after how many pages ghosting (afterimages) start annoing you.
I have a black background and white letters settings on reading app and ghosting is getting apparent after 5 pages.
Anno Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2018, 03:10 AM   #183
viceant
Addict
viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-t1, Boyue Likebook Plus (T80s), Boyue Likebook Mimas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno Domini View Post
it depends. after how many pages ghosting (afterimages) start annoing you.
I have a black background and white letters settings on reading app and ghosting is getting apparent after 5 pages.
Excuse me, but, black background and white letters? Why?

I have that settings on my laptop's web browser, but it's backlight. Is it convenient with e-ink too?
viceant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 09:22 AM   #184
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viceant View Post
Excuse me, but, black background and white letters? Why?
That's a good question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viceant View Post
I have that settings on my laptop's web browser, but it's backlight. Is it convenient with e-ink too?
When using a back-lit screen a black background makes sense from a glare and battery usage perspective. But personally I see no advantage to using a black background on a reader app when using an eink device. I guess everyone has their preferences.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:04 PM   #185
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It sounds like the hardware is good but cripples with lousy software. FBReader is rubbish and it doesn't allow users to do much and FBReader is not a very good program for reading ePub. Plus, you cannot borrow ePub from Overdrive. So unless you install other reading software, you get a wirthless Reader.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2018, 01:12 PM   #186
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Plus, you cannot borrow ePub from Overdrive.
Purple Lady and myself have both reported that you can download and read epubs from Overdrive by simply installing the Overdrive app from the Play Store.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:39 PM   #187
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Purple Lady and myself have both reported that you can download and read epubs from Overdrive by simply installing the Overdrive app from the Play Store.
But not everyone will install other apps and not everyone will know to install Overdrive.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 04:50 PM   #188
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
But not everyone will install other apps and not everyone will know to install Overdrive.
The ones who know enough to buy the BOYUE Likebook Plus probably do if they wanted library access. It's not like BOYUE is easily available like the Kindle, Nook or Kobo. One would probably have to buy from Chinese sites.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 10:07 AM   #189
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: nook
I've only had experience with single a Boyue product -- the JDRead/T63 and just like @JSWolf has noted -- good hardware severely crippled by very poor firmware. There's a weird bug where battery drains within a few hours unless the e-reader is completely powered down, it was there since day 1 and there's no firmware update in sight. At least there's no firmware upgrade which would retain English UI.
So unless you're completely comfortable with Mandarin, I'd stay away from Boyue and would buy Onyx Boox products instead.
stangri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 10:41 AM   #190
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangri View Post
I've only had experience with single a Boyue product -- the JDRead/T63 and just like @JSWolf has noted -- good hardware severely crippled by very poor firmware. There's a weird bug where battery drains within a few hours unless the e-reader is completely powered down, it was there since day 1 and there's no firmware update in sight.
Certainly folks can order whatever they wish, but your comment has nothing to do with the specific ereader discussed in this thread, which is the T80s. The T80s comes with the Play Store installed so I have never been limited to the preinstalled software. Nor have I experienced any limits due to poor firmware.
This model has no battery drain bug that I have experienced in reading over 30+ books thus far. Then again I don't leave wireless or Bluetooth constantly turned on and after 120 minutes of inactivity I have it set to shutdown. In reviewing the battery level, during the 120 minutes in standby there was no power loss shown.
Old 03-22-2018, 02:33 PM   #191
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Quote:
It sounds like the hardware is good but cripples with lousy software. FBReader is rubbish and it doesn't allow users to do much and FBReader is not a very good program for reading ePub. Plus, you cannot borrow ePub from Overdrive. So unless you install other reading software, you get a wirthless Reader.
I got the Bouye LikeBook Plus and I like it!

Better for reading actual eBooks than a tablet, but worse than a tablet for anything else. Even if it is possible (but not very pleasant) to use for other stuff like surfing and so on.

The reason I got this specific device was that it is so easy to install most Androids apps on it. Even other launchers, like RelaunchX for eInk. Many Android eReader apps have settings/optimizations for eInk/ePaper displays. And I can use my favorite Android sync tool, FolderSync, to transfer books, saved to disc on my NAS, from calibre, to the device over wifi.

I have tested a few different reader apps now, and most seem to work fine. But the RAM makes smaller apps preferable. But even a monster app like Bookari Premium works fine. Currently I am trying Librera (paid). Librera has very nice support for eInk and feels small and fast enough. But is perhaps a little too willing to react on accidental multitouch gestures.

I haven't even tried the stock launcher and eReader yet...

I haven't tried any music, audiobook or podcast software either. I will most likely stick to using my Android phone with much more storage on a 128GB SD-card for that.

The main reason I don't use my favorite eReader software, Bookari Premium, on the device is that Bookari uses a lot of storage for the metadata cache. It extracts covers from books and converts and stores them as (big) PNG-files. These PNG-files are often bigger than the books they come from... Not good on a device without SD-slot and limited storage. And covers are obviously of limited interest on an eInk device... Otherwise 16GB is plenty for eBooks like actual novels and so on.

If you don't like the idea of a eInk device that allows you to install any (most?) Android apps to freely customize "the experience", including the launcher, then I guess you should buy something that is a little more locked down...

Last edited by Adoby; 03-22-2018 at 02:58 PM.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 05:48 PM   #192
colibris79
Zealot
colibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheesecolibris79 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony T1, Onyx C67ML, Poke 4, Boyue Paper/Likebook
Quote:
I've only had experience with single a Boyue product -- the JDRead/T63 and just like @JSWolf has noted -- good hardware severely crippled by very poor firmware. There's a weird bug where battery drains within a few hours unless the e-reader is completely powered down, it was there since day 1 and there's no firmware update in sight. At least there's no firmware upgrade which would retain English UI.
So unless you're completely comfortable with Mandarin, I'd stay away from Boyue and would buy Onyx Boox products instead.
I have an Onyx Boox and this Boyue and I like both. I haven't had in this device any of the issues that you had in your reader. So far I am very happy with my Boyue Likebook Plus/Paper
colibris79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 06:19 AM   #193
Waiting4somethin
Addict
Waiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the rough

Device: Wexler Flex One, NookST, n96ml+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoby View Post
Better for reading actual eBooks than a tablet, but worse than a tablet for anything else. Even if it is possible (but not very pleasant) to use for other stuff like surfing and so on.
I was interested in using the device as a tablet, but was unable to find any videos demonstrating web browsing etc.

Did you try to enable a2 mode? That removes the screen refresh which flashes black, supposedly, and might help you surf more easily.
Waiting4somethin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 06:44 AM   #194
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
It is possible, but I very, VERY much prefer to surf using my laptop or desktop. Or an ordinary tablet.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 07:08 AM   #195
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
There's a weird bug where battery drains within a few hours unless the e-reader is completely powered down, it was there since day 1
I was curious so I left my T80s in standby (not shutting down after 120 minutes as I had previously had it set). For some reason it did drop in power about 4% in the first 5 hours after I stopped using it. Then over the next 12 hours it didn't drop in power at all. As I mentioned in previous posts I usually leave Bluetooth and wireless turned off. I only turn them on when I require them.

Just so people curious will have an idea of the apps I run. Here is the list of Apps I regularly use on my T80s ereader.

ReLaunchX (2.1.2) - file manager and launcher for e-Ink (I granted root permissions)
Moon+ Reader Pro - ebook reader
ColorDict - Dictionary
Calibre Companion - ebook manager used to transfer books from Calibre on my PC wirelessly to the device. Launch books in Moon+ Reader Pro. Copy ebook cover image to pictures directory.
Comic Viewer - Use it to set the cover image of the current book I'm reading as the Standby image.
File Manager HD - by Cheeta Mobile, file management (I granted root permissions)
Battery HD - Tracking battery use.
DropBox - Allows Calibre Companion to connect to my Dropbox and download books from my Calibre library.
Keep - Google's simple note app. I used it for short notes, store lists, reminders etc...
Play Store - To install and update apps.
Conversion - Converts various measures lbs - oz - kg, temp F - C, etc...
Settings - Device settings
Settings - Android settings
UC Browser - For the rare times I have a need to navigate the web from the reader. As a rule I usually navigate the web on my PC or tablet.

After I rooted this device I used the following programs

SuperSU - To manage root permissions for apps.
Xposed Installer - used this to run GravityBox.
GravityBox - used to add the following functionality.
  • Long press of Home icon brings up recent app list to allow me to switch apps or swipe them away.
  • Long press on Back icon brings up volume control, desirable because there are no physical volume keys.
  • Double click bottom physical Home button to take screen shots.
Backup - No backup app installed yet, any suggestions?

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 10-28-2018 at 12:42 PM.