Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 02-19-2009, 12:53 PM   #31
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The version of Windows PyCrypto 2.0.1 compiled for Python 2.6.xdoes not install. When I try to run it from the command line, I get This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem. When I try to install via a double click, I get a requester asing me to pick what application to install it with.

But when I removed Python 2.6.x and installed Python 2.5.4 and the PyCrypto 2.0.1 for Python 2.5, it worked fine. I did try a Google search to find another Windows Bonary for Python 2.6.x and could not find any other copy. But at least Python 2.5.4 with the 2.5 version of PyCrypto works fine to strip the DRM.

All of this is on a WindowsXP Pro system.
Works fine here. WinXP, Python 2.6.1 and pycrypto-2.0.1.win32-py2.6.exe. Installs fine, and double-clicking adeptkey.pyw gave me a "key retrieved successfully" message and a shiny adeptkey.der file with the key.

Now just to find an encrypted epub file to test this out (although after getting the key, there should be no problems).

Once more cabby, thanks.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 01:22 PM   #32
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The version of Windows PyCrypto 2.0.1 compiled for Python 2.6.xdoes not install. When I try to run it from the command line, I get This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem. When I try to install via a double click, I get a requester asing me to pick what application to install it with.
LOL, I just figured this out.

Short version: install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package. It should work fine then.

Long version: the person who compiled the Windows version of PyCrypto doesn't know much about Visual Studio. Most C++ applications need the runtime library. By default, Visual Studio sets the runtime library flags to "/MD" and "/MDd", depending on whether you're compiling the release or debug build. The "D" in the flag stands for DLL, which means that the application should link to the DLL version of the runtime. It is up to the developer to distribute those DLLs with his application. The person who compiled the win PyCrypt version apparently doesn't know that. It's a classic rookie mistake...

If one didn't want to use the DLL version of the runtime, one could change those flags to "/MT" and "/MTd", and the runtime gets compiled in with the EXE. No need to distribute the DLLs.

I have those DLLs on my system since I have Visual Studio 2008 (they come bundled in). A person without VS 2008 needs to install the redistributable package to get them. If they don't, they get the nice crashing message.

Last edited by Valloric; 02-19-2009 at 01:27 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-19-2009, 01:24 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Whoever compiled the 2.5 version did it correctly. And the scripts do work with Python 2.5.4. So for now I'll stick with that. But thank you for solving the problem with the 2.6 version.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 01:29 PM   #34
Valloric

Quote:
Whoever compiled the 2.5 version did it correctly. And the scripts do work with Python 2.5.4. So for now I'll stick with that. But thank you for solving the problem with the 2.6 version.
No, they didn't.

You can read it on the Voidspace webpage: "The Python 2.6 binary is built with Visual Studio 2008." They switched compilers for the 2.6 version.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:00 PM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
No, they didn't.

You can read it on the Voidspace webpage: "The Python 2.6 binary is built with Visual Studio 2008." They switched compilers for the 2.6 version.
The scripts did work here when I ran them under Python 2.5.4 and the 2.5 version of PyCrypto 2.0.1.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 02:02 PM   #36
i♥cabbages
Leafy greens connoisseur
i♥cabbages has become one with the cosmosi♥cabbages has become one with the cosmosi♥cabbages has become one with the cosmosi♥cabbages has become one with the cosmosi♥cabbages has become one with the cosmosi♥cabbages has become one with the cosmosi♥cabbages has become one with the cosmosi♥cabbages has become one with the cosmosi♥cabbages has become one with the cosmosi♥cabbages has become one with the cosmosi♥cabbages has become one with the cosmos

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
I'm still not quite understanding. My library books download as a ebx.etd file. When clicked, it opens and loads the book into Digital Editions. Is it still a .pdf file or an ADE file? In any event, I get an error when running the decrypt program. Got the key, but decrypt error is: "File is not a zip file" Any clues?
AdobeDE opens both EPUB files and PDF files, and it looks like you have a PDF file. I haven't looked into decrypting PDF files yet. If you donate to the EFF, ACLU, or Creative Commons at least the cost of an average PDF e-book and send a receipt for the donation to i.u2665.cabbages@gmail.com, I'll look into it.
i♥cabbages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 02:08 PM   #37
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Just tried this out on the freebie test book from BoB and it worked great. Thanks cabbages.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 02:22 PM   #38
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Can you tell me which book you used from BOB. I've tried several but they are downloading as .pdf's and don't seem to work.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 02:23 PM   #39
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by chorpler View Post
Could somebody explain what an ADEPT PDF is? And how it differs from the DRM-protected PDF files that you, say, check out from public libraries that use OverDrive/ContentReserve and the like?
ADEPT is Adobe's name for its DRM. The current tools are for ePub, not PDF. From the blog:
Quote:
The same circumvention probably also allows decryption of ADEPT-encrypted PDF files, although I haven't looked into it yet.
Most likely (but not certainly) anything that works for standard ADEPT ebooks will work with lending library ebooks. There are not many ePub lending library books yet, but it would be good to know if the existing tools work on them.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 02:25 PM   #40
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
Can you tell me which book you used from BOB. I've tried several but they are downloading as .pdf's and don't seem to work.

cheers
It's called 'The Year of the Dog' by Grace Lin

It's the only free ePub with DRM I could find.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:47 PM   #41
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
OK - I finally get it thanks to Brian. It must be truly ePub and unfortunately the public library books that I've tried so far download as pdf. At least we know that with this tool and Calibre, purchased epub books will work on both the iPod Phone and Touch and the Kindle.

Thanks I love Cabbages and Brian (AnemicOak). This is one step forward.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 03:07 PM   #42
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

For PDF this has been out there for years. Don't know if it works or not (requires Acrobat 6).

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Adobe/Gal...zon-remedy.txt
Old 02-19-2009, 03:38 PM   #43
chorpler
Zealot
chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle; PRS-500; MobiPocket on Windows Mobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
For PDF this has been out there for years. Don't know if it works or not (requires Acrobat 6).

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Adobe/Gal...zon-remedy.txt
It works, but it's very fussy, as I discuss over here. If you even install a plugin for Acrobat, it will break this. Plus, it doesn't export the bookmarks or "named destinations" in the file, so links break. All in all, it'll be very nice if ilovecabbages just gets his method working for PDFs as well. And then Topaz! Heck, I'd be willing to donate $50 to THAT cause...
chorpler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 03:40 PM   #44
Valloric

Quote:
The scripts did work here when I ran them under Python 2.5.4 and the 2.5 version of PyCrypto 2.0.1.
You misunderstood what I was saying. Yes, the 2.5 version of PyCrypto works for the 2.5 version of Python, but not because somebody compiled it with VS 2008 correctly, but because they didn't compile it with VS at all. They switched to VS 2008 for the 2.6 release of PyCrypto, as it says so on the webpage.

Anyway, the 2.6 version works fine if you download and install the free redistributable I linked to.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:52 PM   #45
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
It's called 'The Year of the Dog' by Grace Lin

It's the only free ePub with DRM I could find.
Yeah, the only one I could find too. It decrypts nicely for me as well.

Tags
adept, adobe epub drm, ainept, drm, drm removal, drm-free epub, inept