Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-16-2018, 10:52 PM   #61
kansaskyle
Addict
kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & Forma, Kindle Voyage, PW, and Oasis 3
I felt the same as Dazrin.

The first six were solid, and then a slog until book 11 where it felt like the series was starting to turn around. The author died after book 11, but Brandon Sanderson stepped in with the help of the Jordan's widow and finished the series with books 12-14. The tone was slightly different in those latter books, but a satisfying conclusion to the series.
kansaskyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 10:45 AM   #62
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
If you are like most people you will feel very bogged down around books 7 or 8 through book 11 - it is a long series and these books in particular don't have the same pace as the ones before/after. When I re-read them a few years ago, I read the first 6 (7) books in about 2 months then it took a month each for books 7 through 10.

There is also a prequel that was published between 10 and 11, so 14 more books if you decide you like book 1.
I felt the same when reading Game of Thrones Series, I stopped after book 4, all the Kingdoms and all the different characters got confusing. I watched the show after that and it cleared up things for me. I may go back at some point and finish the series.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2018, 11:36 AM   #63
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wearever View Post
I felt the same when reading Game of Thrones Series, I stopped after book 4, all the Kingdoms and all the different characters got confusing. I watched the show after that and it cleared up things for me. I may go back at some point and finish the series.
In the Wheel of Time it wasn't the number of characters that did it for me, it was the pace. I have other issues with Game of Thrones and haven't gone beyond book 2.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 12:05 PM   #64
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaskyle View Post
I felt the same as Dazrin.

The first six were solid, and then a slog until book 11 where it felt like the series was starting to turn around. The author died after book 11, but Brandon Sanderson stepped in with the help of the Jordan's widow and finished the series with books 12-14. The tone was slightly different in those latter books, but a satisfying conclusion to the series.
That's what I tend to see in long series books, as well. They start off great and some how get bogged down , and become less interesting. Then later books are better. I'm also some what reluctant to continue with a series if the author dies and some one else starts to write the series.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:10 PM   #65
Wearever
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
In the Wheel of Time it wasn't the number of characters that did it for me, it was the pace. I have other issues with Game of Thrones and haven't gone beyond book 2.
I do feel the pace is a little slow in book 1 so far, but I'm just learning about the time, place and characters. First books tend to be that way. I agree bogging down in the middle of a series is harder.
Advert
Old 01-17-2018, 12:27 PM   #66
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
I just finished a book that I was surprised was so good! The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah.
I had read another book by the author (Firefly Lane) which was pretty meh, to me.

All of 2017 or whenever it was published, I kept reading glowing reports of people really loving the book. So one day it appeared on one of my email alerts for sales at $1.99 and I thought "what can it hurt?". Had it not been that low, I'd not have bought "blind".

My expectations were low, but I started reading it last week and finished it yesterday. I was so pleased. It was a happy surprise! Usually my "gambled upon" books are stinkers, and this was not only good, but so far my favorite read.

It is a fiction story about two sisters who struggle to survive in France during WWII when it was occupied by German soldiers. I can't say more due to being afraid of spoiling it. but it's an emotionally riveting read.

I'm now onto my next read, which is more light/fluffy The Twelve Days of Christmas by Debbie Macomber an overdrive loan and should be quick and fun to read.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 01:32 PM   #67
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
I just finished a book that I was surprised was so good! The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah.
I had read another book by the author (Firefly Lane) which was pretty meh, to me.

All of 2017 or whenever it was published, I kept reading glowing reports of people really loving the book. So one day it appeared on one of my email alerts for sales at $1.99 and I thought "what can it hurt?". Had it not been that low, I'd not have bought "blind".

My expectations were low, but I started reading it last week and finished it yesterday. I was so pleased. It was a happy surprise! Usually my "gambled upon" books are stinkers, and this was not only good, but so far my favorite read.

It is a fiction story about two sisters who struggle to survive in France during WWII when it was occupied by German soldiers. I can't say more due to being afraid of spoiling it. but it's an emotionally riveting read.

I'm now onto my next read, which is more light/fluffy The Twelve Days of Christmas by Debbie Macomber an overdrive loan and should be quick and fun to read.
I read The Nightingale a couple of years ago. I'd never read anything by Kristin Hannah, but I generally like WWII fiction featuring women protagonists, so I gave it a try and loved it.

You might like the novels Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly, and Fire by Night by Teresa Messineo.

Also, Susan Ottaway's A Cool and Lonely Courage is a nonfiction account of two sisters in WWII who are somewhat similar to the heroines of The Nightingale. When I read it, I wondered if Hannah might have partly based her characters on these two women.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 07:37 PM   #68
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, good recommendations!
Old 01-18-2018, 09:03 AM   #69
Wearever
Wizard

Quote:
Thanks, good recommendations!
I'll second that, Catlady does give some good recommendations on WW2 books.

I haven't read the Nightingale yet, but it does sound like an interesting book. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:22 AM   #70
Wearever
Wizard

I was reading the Wheel of Time, book 1, last night and was surprised how quickly things started to pick up and change course. Now I'm glad I did the fantasy challenge. I always worry when I pick a new challenge. I do this because I want to vary my reading selections for the year. Old habits mean at will , I will read in my comfort zone, mystery & history. I still favor those, but my challenge is something different. I may just try to read first books in a fantasy series and have more to choose from. I already know I'll read more of the Wheel of Time series now.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:01 PM   #71
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wearever View Post
I'll second that, Catlady does give some good recommendations on WW2 books.
Thanks. I'm emboldened to recommend another, though it's got a totally different vibe: The Chilbury Ladies Choir, by Jennifer Ryan. Unlike the others, which were about women doing extraordinary things in WWII, this one is about ordinary women on the homefront in England, coping with the absence of men. It was one of my favorite books of 2017.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 05:06 PM   #72
spindlegirl
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Thanks. I'm emboldened to recommend another, though it's got a totally different vibe: The Chilbury Ladies Choir, by Jennifer Ryan. Unlike the others, which were about women doing extraordinary things in WWII, this one is about ordinary women on the homefront in England, coping with the absence of men. It was one of my favorite books of 2017.
I just checked to see if it was available at overdrive and yes! I placed a hold. Looking forward to it! WWII isn't really a theme I seek out on purpose, but these all look like good books.

Edit: Oops I started reading this, and it's world war ONE. The story looks thrilling. About a young couple who broke codes together and I am excited to read it.

Last edited by spindlegirl; 01-21-2018 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-21-2018, 02:47 PM   #73
spindlegirl
Wizard

Speaking of WWII reads, a non-fiction read just popped up in my Kindle alerts for $2.99 (Canadian) and I was so intrigued that I bought it. It was NPR best book of 2017 apparently.

The Woman Who Smashed Codes: A True Story of Love, Spies, and the Unlikely Heroine Who Outwitted America's Enemies by Jason Fagone

Has anyone here heard about it and read it? It is apparently The NPR best book of 2017.

I think my reading interests are moving in a different direction. I am starting to become interested in reading more about this era, both fiction and non.

Last edited by spindlegirl; 01-21-2018 at 03:15 PM.
Old 01-21-2018, 03:24 PM   #74
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Quote:
Speaking of WWII reads, a non-fiction read just popped up in my Kindle alerts for $2.99 (Canadian) and I was so intrigued that I bought it. It was NPR best book of 2017 apparently.

The Woman Who Smashed Codes: A True Story of Love, Spies, and the Unlikely Heroine Who Outwitted America's Enemies by Jason Fagone

Has anyone here heard about it and read it? It is apparently The NPR best book of 2017.

I think my reading interests are moving in a different direction. I am starting to become interested in reading more about this era, both fiction and non.
Actually, I read that book a mere month ago. I enjoyed it quite a bit and I am glad that Elizebeth Friedman is finally getting some recognition for the work she performed, though many others got the credit for it rightly or not.

For this book, no knowledge of math or even code-breaking is required. Up to this point all of my knowledge of WWII intelligence has been restricted to the European theater (Spymistress: The True Story of the Greatest Female Secret Agent of World War II by William Stevenson), and the knowledge that the US had broken the Japanese code early in the war. This book gave me a better understanding of the state of the art leading up to that war (that is, after the events of The Man Who Broke Napoleon's Codes by Mark Urban), as well as how things progressed on this side of the battle.

Overall, it is a book I would recommend.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 12:17 PM   #75
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
So far this month(year), I'm doing OK on challenges, but only OK. On my total books read challenge, I'm way ahead of the game. Were I to keep up this pace, I'd read well over 200 books this year. Won't happen, I know myself too well.

On the keeping track of books part of the challenge, I'm also doing well, keeping current and always updating at least every few days. But again, this is early days and the easy side of this one. But encouraging, at least.

On reading books in the New Leaf Book Club, I'm also doing well, having read both the final MR Book Club selection, and the February selection for the new club. Plus a bonus book, two of the nominated books for February that didn't get selected. So doing very well on this.

Finally, on reducing my TBR by not buying new books. Abysmal so far. This is, in no small part, a direct result of the New Leaf Book Club. The move to themes instead of genres, plus the quality of the nominations, has had me poking around and discovering all sorts of new things I want to read. I blame it ALL on issybird!
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote