Proper Right - Amazon *Slam-dunked* this time!!! 30 55.56%
Paper Weight - What *were* they thinking??? 9 16.67%
It's about the same old same old... 8 14.81%
I don't get excited about new technology, time will tell 7 12.96%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-06-2012, 11:22 AM   #1
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Paperwhite. ProperRite or PaperWeight?

Message from before launch:
Spoiler:
So Yeah, New stuff on the horizon...
Allegedly it's announced.
We see pictures, We see videos in foreign languages about "the new breed"
I note that Amazon pulled the KT
Quote:
Kindle Touch
Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.

Now I want this to be awesome, but I am struggling to find specs and everybody likes a good poll so here we go...

"Paperwhite" (or whatever it's going to be called, maybe that is just the name of the light technology, who knows, clearly not me), Hmm, let's start that again rather lost impetus...

Paperwhite: Proper Right or Paper Weight

(That was better)

Discuss.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7b60d4d3ndle-470-75.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	91887  

Last edited by twobob; 09-06-2012 at 07:08 PM. Reason: it's now out and about
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:35 AM   #2
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Any clues on the a link for the tech specs would also be excellent for example

Advert
Old 09-06-2012, 12:38 PM   #3
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I'm going to say the Paperwhite Kindle will have the just-announced Kobo specs.

Kobo Glo’s 6” high-res XGA E Ink Pearl touchscreen is ultra-thin and durable so nothing gets between you and your eBook, not even the brightest sunlight (or a little scratch).

6” E Ink XGA Pearl screen; 1024x768 resolution; 16-level grey scale

1 gig processor

Built-in ComfortLight technology with micro-thin hard coating for durability and even light distribution

Non-glass touchscreen for glare-free, fingerprint-resistant reading.

Except I don't think Amazon will have an SD card slot, they will have 4 gb space instead.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:55 PM   #4
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I'm going to say the Paperwhite Kindle will have the just-announced Kobo specs.

Kobo Glo’s 6” high-res XGA E Ink Pearl touchscreen is ultra-thin and durable so nothing gets between you and your eBook, not even the brightest sunlight (or a little scratch).

6” E Ink XGA Pearl screen; 1024x768 resolution; 16-level grey scale

1 gig processor

Built-in ComfortLight technology with micro-thin hard coating for durability and even light distribution

Non-glass touchscreen for glare-free, fingerprint-resistant reading.

Except I don't think Amazon will have an SD card slot, they will have 4 gb space instead.
Kobo only lists 1 month battery, wasn't the original Kindle touch 2 month battery? I wouldn't expect Amazon to lower that spec.
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:39 PM   #5
twobob

I was hoping for 8 weeks? thought I read that somewhere.

bit more ram would be SO sweet. but highly unlikely. big storage OR AN ENABLED USB CONNECTOR PLEASE AMAZON would also rule.

well, if anyone spots something please let me know, I haven't been this excited since Trials evolution on the Xbox (must get out a lot more)
Advert
Old 09-06-2012, 02:00 PM   #6
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
8 weeks battery life with the light on.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:02 PM   #7
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
8 weeks battery life with the light on.
That's crazy good.
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:04 PM   #8
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I dunno, Paperwhite still sounds like a marketing lie or TFT screen to me

I'll believe it when I see it if it has 768x1024 resolution I might even order one
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:37 PM   #9
twobob

erm... now I look around I see more like 50 hours with wifi and light.... weak
Old 09-06-2012, 02:55 PM   #10
twobob

Quote:
Amazon made the announcement at a big launch in the US, where the Kindle Fire has been a smash hit. Sadly, the Kindle Fire is yet to arrive here, and there's no word on UK release for the products announced today either.

The Paperwhite goes on sale on 1 October, costing our US chums £75 or £112 for the 3G model. The current Kindle gets a slightly better screen and is now cheaper too.
Sigh. looks like I will be waiting a while.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:57 PM   #11
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Hmm, I will need to see the pricing on these units since I often run into times when I need to read in the dark it would be a great help to have paperwhite. However, that all depends on the price for the hardware.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:04 PM   #12
twobob

Specs at last...

Highly highly disappointing storage. with the whole - everyone lives next to a wifi-hotsport philosophy. Boo on that.

Why is a "Patented" built in light supposed to be more attractive? or even to do with the Technical Specs? "Patented", whoppiedoo. Make it stay on for twice as long as someone elses THEN crow about it.

Not just because you filed some bits of paper. "Patented" Near -identical technology.

"The Light" - in a box. Breakthough.

Much worse than I feared overally too.

no new connectivity. how easy would it be to provide the right usb drivers? not hard.

4 Bpp framebuffer. That's a step back, not forward.
No doubt they have skimped on the video driver development again then.
It's going to really hurt our chances of porting games natively.

Not to mention annoy Geekmaster immensely

Oh well. I suppose I might get one anyway.
Worse is not better at any price.

Whiter screen, "whoopie doo", write some proper video drivers then.

But I sadly will cast my vote as a "What were they thinking?"

thanks for all your thoughts.
Sad now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_060.png
Views:	452
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	91925  

Last edited by twobob; 09-06-2012 at 07:10 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:21 PM   #13
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Is anyone knowledgeable enough to compare the Kobo specs (listed above) to the Kindle paperwhite?
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:22 PM   #14
kasra5004
kasra5004 began at the beginning.

Device: none
In paper white`s main page on amazon , It says something about kindle`s comic viewer. Is that new? Can I get it on my kindle keyboard too?
kasra5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:38 PM   #15
twobob

@kasra5004 https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=182183 for komics...

@booklover6 The nook is better in terms of expansion for storage. unless you prefer pushing a lot files around via the wifi/3g. Me - that's a no.

Amazon don't list the processor or memory? never a great sign. I am guessing no better than the 5. Tough to say at with these two lists... so probably the nook by a nose.

Need fuller specs. They are "similiar" in many ways.

Tags
amazon, device, paperwhite, poll