Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Legacy E-Book Devices

Notices

Old 05-19-2011, 05:56 PM   #16
data24
data24 began at the beginning.

Device: ebookman
hello friends

I have a eBookMan EBM-901, I want to reuse last year download the OS to install it, now that I have holiday, I have my installation CD, follow the step that indicates nrapallo. but I get a message

the file frnkebos.seb not is targeted for this eBookMan. It Can not Be Moved to your eBookMan.

I think I need q frnkebos.seb file, I always towards the installation from the Internet, now that support stopped as of 1 May.

share the SO

http://www.4shared.com/file/j75_jOG5...b_latest_.html

I thank you, any help you can give me.

Greetings
DATA24
data24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:17 PM   #17
TheNW
TheNW began at the beginning.

Device: eBookman
Smile ISO eBookman 911 help

Hello All,

First time poster so please be gentle! I have a Franklin EBM 911 and am also in search of the OS download file. I received mine as a gift in 2001 and used it briefly before it got mothballed by my wife. It doesn't even have the patent number, says "patent pending" so I know it was an early model. I have read a couple of books on it but it has since been reset. I tried to download the OS earlier this (2011) year but had trouble. My new computer came loaded with Vista (2008?) and I read some things that led me to believe that these problems were related to Vista. The EBM OS was/is not compatible with Vista, right? Or no? By the time I had a new OS (recently) and got back around to the Franklin site, I found the message saying that they were no longer supporting the EBM. So here I am.

Does anyone know where I might find a copy of the EBM 911 OS? I don't need to sync to Outlook, just want to read some books. Should I just call Ectaco? Thank you in advance for any advice!
TheNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:00 PM   #18
Lola-Woolfe
Mad Hatter
Lola-Woolfe began at the beginning.

Device: EBM 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNW View Post
Hello All,

First time poster so please be gentle! I have a Franklin EBM 911 and am also in search of the OS download file. I received mine as a gift in 2001 and used it briefly before it got mothballed by my wife. It doesn't even have the patent number, says "patent pending" so I know it was an early model. I have read a couple of books on it but it has since been reset. I tried to download the OS earlier this (2011) year but had trouble. My new computer came loaded with Vista (2008?) and I read some things that led me to believe that these problems were related to Vista. The EBM OS was/is not compatible with Vista, right? Or no? By the time I had a new OS (recently) and got back around to the Franklin site, I found the message saying that they were no longer supporting the EBM. So here I am.

Does anyone know where I might find a copy of the EBM 911 OS? I don't need to sync to Outlook, just want to read some books. Should I just call Ectaco? Thank you in advance for any advice!
I recently went onto Yahoo's ebookman group and a very kind member snail mailed me everything on a CD because sending via email, the file is too big and wouldn't go through. I've uploaded the RAR file on Mediahost; http://www.mediafire.com/?y8daq0fbvb6nvvy
Its everything that Franklin gave to us EBM users. Feel free to circulate it amongst other forums and places if others need it. After all, since Franklin are no help, we need the drivers and before I got them, it proved impossible to find them. I hope the file works. If not let me know and I'll try again
Lola-Woolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:41 AM   #19
marie381
marie381 began at the beginning.

Device: Ebookman 911
help

please can anyone help am disabled and my pc got a virus. I lost my ebook man 911 software for desk top and there is nowhere to redown load has anyone got it that could be emailed in file to me please
marie381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:52 AM   #20
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Try http://www.mediafire.com/?y8daq0fbvb6nvvy

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:17 AM   #21
mplshowie
mplshowie began at the beginning.

Device: EBM-901
Hi
I was going through my junk draw,and low and behold I found my old EBM-901. Here is my problem. I downloaded the desktop manger,but when I connect to the manager nothing happens. I'm running Windows 7. Can anybody help me get this going.(yes I'm computor savvy)
Thanks
mplshowie
mplshowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:35 PM   #22
250 Coupe
Groupie
250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch

Device: Many ebook readers at my house
Unfortunately, it looks like Franklin has killed the eBookman. If you can't get the option to load the operating system off the CD to work, the reader is effectively dead.

I've tried sending folks copies of my backup, snail mailed the CD and posted the contents online and no one has been able to get their reader to work without a connection to the server.

If anyone is considering buying a eBookman, they need to make sure the operating system has been backed up to a memory card or they will have bought an interesting paper weight.

Michael
250 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:12 AM   #23
gortsew
gortsew began at the beginning.

Device: ebookman
Dear Aubreyf,
could You detail how You gained the 64-bit Windows 7 driver for eBookMan from Thesycon?
Thanks in advance.
gortsew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 06:51 PM   #24
jacoblong09
jacoblong09 began at the beginning.

Device: ebookman 911
anybody still got the files

I highly doubt this, but by any chance does anyone happen to still have the cd files from snail. the mediafire link is down. wont be upset if I don't get a reply. I have an ebookman 911 I got for free. but just hoped cause I spent an hour splicing together a usb sync cable cause it didn't come with one. I have a windows ME machine. so just need a new link if possible.
jacoblong09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 02:41 AM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacoblong09 View Post
I highly doubt this, but by any chance does anyone happen to still have the cd files from snail. the mediafire link is down. wont be upset if I don't get a reply. I have an ebookman 911 I got for free. but just hoped cause I spent an hour splicing together a usb sync cable cause it didn't come with one. I have a windows ME machine. so just need a new link if possible.
You also need a new computer. Windows ME was awful and was very poor at software comparability. Chances are if you did get the software for the 911, that it would not work with Windows ME.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 12:02 PM   #26
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
Just missed it. I dumped my cd few weeks ago, however there is a thread here about the ebookman - someone needing the cd - A search of the forum might turn it up if you don't get an answer here.
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 10:03 AM   #27
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
I just refound my ebm-911 again. I guess I stowed it years ago when I thought that the franklin site was done for good and never experimented with reloading the OS from a local copy. (I still have my entire data\contents directory for it, but never bothered w/an MMC card for it.)

So my question is, armed with that old data\contents backup which appears to include the OS, e.g.
frnkebos.seb which I believe is the 'main' OS file? and should already be ready for the 911?

and all of the others, e.g. Franklin!_GUI!pkg.seb, etc.

Now last week when I started out on this(ordered an MMC card, never had a use for one before really as ONLY the 911 used them) I found a FAQ that mentioned backups? go into a top level directory named BACKUP, and also mentioned something about I guess other applications go into a top level folder named VIRTUAL.

It appears as if the author was uncertain, HOWEVER it is the ONLY place that I've been able to find ANY info about the MMC backup card structure and it would appear to be incorrect as I tried the following:
BACKUP\frnkebos.seb
plus all of the
BACKUP\Franklin!*.seb files

i.e. all into the top level BACKUP directory, and all I get is NOT the demo BUT a request to dock the 911.

I also tried with just
BACKUP\frnkebos.seb
and the OTHER files dumped in a top level directory NAMED VIRTUAL however that leaves me in the same situation.

[EDIT2]
i.e. so all it does with either of these directory structures/contents is ask to be plugged into the dock presumably to synch with the desktop manager which is a step up from going to demo mode w/no card, I guess...
[/EDIT2]

So my question is does ANYONE have an IMAGE(copy) of a setup bookman backup card? Or at least have a better idea of the file structure for such a card?

And I guess before we go too far, I'm ASSUMING that the OS files in the data\content directory of the old desktop manager installation are already encrypted or whatnot for this particular 911? I've only ever owned this single one. Am I missing some files I wonder but it appears from the FAQ that I have all of the extra OS files.

My other idea was to boot into linux and see if I can get the old ebmsync app to run on a more modern linux distro. Failing all of this I might try virtual machines running older linux distro, XP or something, but honestly I'd really just like to get the card going as even back in the day the backup cap on this one was bad so swapping batteries ALWAYS required resynching w/the desktop to restore the OS/files which was usually not a problem back in the day as I had a notebook or desktop nearby with a backup and IIRC MMC cards were insanely expensive so I skipped them.

Thanks for any help.

[EDIT]
No idea where my original CD is or even IF I still have it. Amazingly I still have the stylus for the 911 as after I found it, I found it lysing on the floor near where I had found it at, and yes now I remember even back in the day it got to be so loose that it'd fall out very easily after being used for a while...
[/EDIT]

Last edited by cutterjohn42; 03-26-2019 at 10:10 AM.
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebookman franklin os