Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-10-2020, 09:54 PM   #31
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
I ordered a PocketBook from goodereader last year or so. I remember feeling uncomfortable about buying from them but they weren't available from anywhere else here in the US. The shipping seemed strange to me; it was shipped from China. I now wonder if it was a grey market one, i.e., one that "fell off a truck" so to speak, rather than from PocketBook Inc.
Newegg sells them. In case that helps you in the future. PocketBook International SA E-Book Readers
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 10:12 PM   #32
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I think GoodEReader actually gets the products to you now, it just may take a little while.
I doubt that. From the various comments I've read from people who have purchased products from them, it seems that the majority of devices are shipping from China and that Good e-Reader isn't able to offer customers any information about their shipments. That would be strange if they were actually shipping the items out themselves.

It's also telling that they don't explicitly inform customers where their devices will ship from during the purchasing process. Because they are based in Canada, many customers mistakenly think their device will ship from Canada and arrive relatively quickly. When they get the tracking number when the device ships many are surprised to see that it is shipping from China which could then expose them to duty.

Instead of informing customers where their device will ship from, they force them to click on a Store Usage Policy where they say:

Quote:
LOCATIONS

Goodereader is an international company owned and operated for over 10 years in Canada. To easy logistics issues and make a better and more convenient experience for our customers, we have 3 offices and 4 depots around the world so we are always just a stone’s throw away. You may be asked to return or warranty your item to one of the 4 locations worldwide: Vancouver, Canada, Chicago, IL, USA, Hong Kong, or Tokyo, Japan.

SHIPPING

Items from our store will be fulfilled from one of 5 locations; Vancouver, Canada, Chicago, IL, USA, Hong Kong, China or Tokyo, Japan. If you are unsure as to where they ship from, please email us or call us prior to your purchase.

https://goodereader.com/blog/store-usage-policy
Why not be upfront about where the devices are shipping from? Should be rather straightforward to do. Instead, they deceptively allow people to think that their device will ship from North America which seems is not usually the case.

Quote:
And I think they really are a PocketBook dealer as they seem to get promotional material early.
They do seem to have some commercial relationship with a good number of companies. They take the order, then pass the information along to the real distributor, for which they receive a fee.

Quote:
It's fine, so long as you understand the process and know what to expect.
Yup. Nothing wrong with that so long as one is aware that that is the case. A lot of people might still purchase a product from them because they are hesitant about dealing directly with a Chinese company.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2020, 11:13 PM   #33
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Newegg sells them. In case that helps you in the future. PocketBook International SA E-Book Readers
But right now they've only got the two models, the InkPad X and the HD 3 in two colors. Hopefully they'll get the whole line at some point. They did one or both of the InkPad models, but they never had the lower end Touch Lux 4, Basic Lux 2 or Basic 3... yet anyhow.

What I really like about Newegg, "Sold by PocketBook, shipped by Newegg from the United States."

Last edited by rcentros; 08-10-2020 at 11:17 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 12:19 AM   #34
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...75&postcount=2
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 11:31 AM   #35
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
But right now they've only got the two models, the InkPad X and the HD 3 in two colors. Hopefully they'll get the whole line at some point. They did one or both of the InkPad models, but they never had the lower end Touch Lux 4, Basic Lux 2 or Basic 3... yet anyhow.

What I really like about Newegg, "Sold by PocketBook, shipped by Newegg from the United States."
Yeah...I'd be interested in the InkPad 3, but they aren't selling it on NewEgg. They are selling it on GoodEreader, but...

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2020, 02:48 PM   #36
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Yeah...I'd be interested in the InkPad 3, but they aren't selling it on NewEgg. They are selling it on GoodEreader, but...
If I was in the market for an InkPad I would probably get it at TechInn (in England). Supposedly they can have one shipped to the U.S. by August 18th or 19th.

https://www.techinn.com/en/pocketboo...955&country=us

Grooves (in Germany) has the InkPad 3 Pro (if that's the one you're interested in) and, supposedly, they can have one shipped to the U.S. in six to thirteen days.

https://www.grooves-inc.com/pocketbo...ign=froogle_us

They both used to have both models, so it looks like the supply is drying up. I think, originally, Newegg had both InkPads as well. Maybe version 4 is on the way?

EDIT: Grooves still has the InkPad 3 but it's much cheaper at TechInn for some reason. (The Grooves' prices do include shipping.)

https://www.grooves-inc.com/pocketbo...098697896.html

I haven't ordered from either company so I can't personally vouch for either.

Last edited by rcentros; 08-11-2020 at 02:59 PM.
Old 08-11-2020, 02:58 PM   #37
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
Why not be upfront about where the devices are shipping from? Should be rather straightforward to do. Instead, they deceptively allow people to think that their device will ship from North America which seems is not usually the case.
I've never gone far enough to see that disclaimer. I wouldn't order from them under those conditions. It's basically, "you give us your money, we pass on the order, and then you're on your own." (At least that's the way it looks.)
Old 08-12-2020, 09:35 AM   #38
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
If I was in the market for an InkPad I would probably get it at TechInn (in England). Supposedly they can have one shipped to the U.S. by August 18th or 19th.

https://www.techinn.com/en/pocketboo...955&country=us

Grooves (in Germany) has the InkPad 3 Pro (if that's the one you're interested in) and, supposedly, they can have one shipped to the U.S. in six to thirteen days.

https://www.grooves-inc.com/pocketbo...ign=froogle_us

They both used to have both models, so it looks like the supply is drying up. I think, originally, Newegg had both InkPads as well. Maybe version 4 is on the way?

EDIT: Grooves still has the InkPad 3 but it's much cheaper at TechInn for some reason. (The Grooves' prices do include shipping.)

https://www.grooves-inc.com/pocketbo...098697896.html

I haven't ordered from either company so I can't personally vouch for either.
Interesting. I was more interested in the pro, but it's $100 *more* than the original. Maybe I will wait and see if there is a new model Inkpad on the way.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 11:40 AM   #39
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Interesting. I was more interested in the pro, but it's $100 *more* than the original. Maybe I will wait and see if there is a new model Inkpad on the way.

Shari
I'm not a Pocketbook enthusiast. But what's the Inkpad X that newegg has?
Old 08-12-2020, 12:52 PM   #40
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
I'm not a Pocketbook enthusiast. But what's the Inkpad X that newegg has?
It's a PocketBook InkPad with a 10.3" screen.

Last edited by rcentros; 08-12-2020 at 12:55 PM.
Old 08-12-2020, 12:54 PM   #41
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
If TechInn had the InkPad Pro in stock it wouldn't quite be that much more, but they do put a premium price on the pro model.
Old 08-12-2020, 01:48 PM   #42
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
It's a PocketBook InkPad with a 10.3" screen.
Maybe I should be clearer:

What is the difference between the Inkpad 3 you guys were looking for and the Inkpad X newegg sells?
Old 08-12-2020, 05:10 PM   #43
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Maybe I should be clearer:

What is the difference between the Inkpad 3 you guys were looking for and the Inkpad X newegg sells?
The InkPad 3 Pro has 16 GBs of onboard storage instead of 8 GB (although the "standard" InkPad 3 has a microSD slot that the Pro doesn't have). The Pro has a "G-sensor," so it can auto-rotate to landscape mode and back. It has Bluetooth (the 3 plays audio books and provides TTF via a USB adapter instead, I think the Pro has that option also). The Pro is "waterproof."

I think that's about it. Currently Newegg is only selling the InkPad X, which is basically a 10.3" InkPad Pro 3, but with 32 GBs of storage and a 227 dpi screen instead of 300 dpi screen.
Old 08-12-2020, 05:35 PM   #44
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
The InkPad 3 Pro has 16 GBs of onboard storage instead of 8 GB (although the "standard" InkPad 3 has a microSD slot that the Pro doesn't have). The Pro has a "G-sensor," so it can auto-rotate to landscape mode and back. It has Bluetooth (the 3 plays audio books and provides TTF via a USB adapter instead, I think the Pro has that option also). The Pro is "waterproof."

I think that's about it. Currently Newegg is only selling the InkPad X, which is basically a 10.3" InkPad Pro 3, but with 32 GBs of storage and a 227 dpi screen instead of 300 dpi screen.
The InkPad X screen is Mobius, so lighter and more flexible.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 03:10 AM   #45
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
The InkPad X screen is Mobius, so lighter and more flexible.
If I had ever known that I manged to forget it. Thanks for the correction.

Tags
goodereader bad