Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Server

Notices

Old 04-15-2020, 06:41 PM   #1
don_caviare
don_caviare began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
managing user accounts from the command line...

Hi all,

I'd like to set up authentication for my calibre-server (calibre 2.75.1 running on Raspbian), but I have to do that via the command line. So I'm trying to follow this simple tutorial in order to set up a user db.

But when I copy-paste the command
Code:
calibre-server --userdb /srv/calibre/users.sqlite --manage-users
, I get the error: "no such option: --userdb"

Weird... Why do you think this is happening? Is the command line faulty? Is it a version issue?

D-
don_caviare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 08:04 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by don_caviare View Post
Hi all,

I'd like to set up authentication for my calibre-server (calibre 2.75.1 running on Raspbian), but I have to do that via the command line. So I'm trying to follow this simple tutorial in order to set up a user db.

But when I copy-paste the command
Code:
calibre-server --userdb /srv/calibre/users.sqlite --manage-users
, I get the error: "no such option: --userdb"

Weird... Why do you think this is happening? Is the command line faulty? Is it a version issue?

D-
Given the manual you were looking at is for calibre 4.13 and you are running calibre 2.75, I'd vote for a version issue given that calibre 2.75 is close to 4 years old.

Depending on your version of Raspbian, you could check the version of calibre in the debian repository (https://packages.debian.org/buster/calibre) which would bring you up to v3.39 or so.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2020, 10:46 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre 2.75 doesn't even support user accounts.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 11:34 AM   #4
don_caviare
don_caviare began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Thanks guys. I was indeed limited by Raspbian Stretch, which didn't allow me to update Calibre. After upgrading to Buster, I was able to update Calibre to v.3.39, and gain access to the user management functions. Yeah!

(as a small enhancement to the calibre-server, I'd recommend that users that aren't able to upload books or edit the library don't see the "upload" or "edit" buttons on the interface, as they still appear on my end. But perhaps that was corrected in later versions? I tried checking the changelog but drowned a bit! Which shows what an actively developed this software is - bravo again )
don_caviare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 01:54 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I deliberately leave the buttons available because it is much easier to understand when you click a button and get anerror saying you are not allowed to perform this action thatn when a button is missing.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
authentication, raspbian, server, user database