Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-06-2020, 10:31 AM   #1
PenguinCEO
Member Retired
PenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipedia

Device: a lot
故事主要描述當伐木

故事主要描述當伐木

Last edited by PenguinCEO; 04-17-2020 at 08:41 AM.
PenguinCEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 11:30 AM   #2
slkissinger
Connoisseur
slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Multiple Kindles, Pocketbook Touch HD3, Kobo Clara HD, Xiaomi InkPalm
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=79

Install the latest version of Calibre (4.12 as I type this). It was just all magically done for me, with some kind of abracadabra by Kovid, I'm assuming... I should donate again; it's been a few months.
slkissinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2020, 11:35 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by slkissinger View Post
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=79

Install the latest version of Calibre (4.12 as I type this). It was just all magically done for me, with some kind of abracadabra by Kovid, I'm assuming... I should donate again; it's been a few months.
Actually, the magic is done by Davidfor in the Kobo drivers.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 12:09 PM   #4
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
For series the series listing on the Kobo is nicer than the collections list. But now the series are are in both series and collections. In the Kobo driver's configuration window in the "Collections, covers & uploads" tab I have Collections checked, and the Collections columns box has "#myshelves, series" in it. I'm guessing that I should remove series from there. Is there any quick way to clean out all of the collections that contain series information?

A few moments later after I deleted series from that box and did an "Update cached metatadata on device and everything is correct; no series information in the collections.

David and/or Kovid are on the job!
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 03:39 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've dropped the series collections and all is well. I didn't have any series collections showing on the home screen. So I'm good to go with the new series feature.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2020, 01:51 PM   #6
Woodstonian
Connoisseur
Woodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the party

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Is there anything I need to have set in Calibre to make the magic happen? I updated the version on both the Kobo and Calibre and I do have Series info in Calibre on a number of sideloaded books. I have connected the Kobo to Calibre, waited, and nothing changes.The only things that are showing Series info on the Kobo are downloaded directly from Kobo, not via Calibre. Help!
Woodstonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 03:09 PM   #7
tiltowait
Zealot
tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Kobo Aura One
To add another question:

Say I got Book One from Kobo and Book Two from Baen. In Calibre, both books are set to have the same series, yet on my Kobo, there are two series entries, each with a single book, even though the series names are identical. Is there any way to get them to group into the same series, despite one book being sideloaded?
tiltowait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 03:15 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodstonian View Post
Is there anything I need to have set in Calibre to make the magic happen? I updated the version on both the Kobo and Calibre and I do have Series info in Calibre on a number of sideloaded books. I have connected the Kobo to Calibre, waited, and nothing changes.The only things that are showing Series info on the Kobo are downloaded directly from Kobo, not via Calibre. Help!
Do you have metadata management set to automatic management? Calibre Preferences => Sending Books to devices. See attached image.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sending_books_to_devices.png
Views:	2154
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	177971  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 03:53 PM   #9
tiltowait
Zealot
tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

After fiddling with the series stuff some more, it seems that if I download the Kobo books to my device, sideload the non-Kobo books, then reconnect to Calibre, they will all match up in the proper series. Pretty clunky, but it works. I'm hoping there's some better means of automating this, but if not, I can manage.
Old 03-27-2020, 04:10 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltowait View Post
After fiddling with the series stuff some more, it seems that if I download the Kobo books to my device, sideload the non-Kobo books, then reconnect to Calibre, they will all match up in the proper series. Pretty clunky, but it works. I'm hoping there's some better means of automating this, but if not, I can manage.
That need for a double connect is unlikely to change. In the first pass, you need to send the books to your Kobo, disconnect and let it import them. This will create the database entries that will be modified on the second connection when the metadata is updated.
Old 03-27-2020, 04:17 PM   #11
tiltowait
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
That need for a double connect is unlikely to change. In the first pass, you need to send the books to your Kobo, disconnect and let it import them. This will create the database entries that will be modified on the second connection when the metadata is updated.
It’s an extra step even on top of the double-connect. I can’t simply have the books waiting for me in the cloud; I have to download them before syncing with Calibre, or there will be two series with identical names.

I think the solution might just be to archive all of my Kobo purchases and manage everything through Calibre. I could even fix some of the series metadata errors in Kobo’s database (such as the Wheel of Time series).
Old 03-27-2020, 05:02 PM   #12
Woodstonian
Connoisseur
Woodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the party

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Do you have metadata management set to automatic management? Calibre Preferences => Sending Books to devices. See attached image.
OK. It was set to manual so I changed it to automatic. Then I connected the Kobo, Calibre recognized the connection, I waited for about 15 minutes, ejected and disconnected, but there was no sign of any new series for my sideloaded books. I deleted one from the Kobo and reloaded it but again no change. Any idea what else I might be missing?
Woodstonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 06:09 PM   #13
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Did You set, in the kobo touch driver plugin in the form: "metadata on device and advanced" (or something like that) the flag of updating metadata on device?
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 08:03 PM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltowait View Post
It’s an extra step even on top of the double-connect. I can’t simply have the books waiting for me in the cloud; I have to download them before syncing with Calibre, or there will be two series with identical names.

I think the solution might just be to archive all of my Kobo purchases and manage everything through Calibre. I could even fix some of the series metadata errors in Kobo’s database (such as the Wheel of Time series).
The reason for this is that the series list is not built from the series name. Kobo uses an internal identifier that groups the books together as a series. That is used on their devices and in their store. The driver in calibre has to replicate this somehow. If it finds a series name for a book from Kobo that matches the series name in the calibre library, it uses the id to group the books. If there is no match, then it uses the series name itself. This does meant that if you sideload a book in a series and then buy a book in the same series, they will appear to be in two different series. But, the next time you connect the device to calibre, it should be fixed.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 08:09 PM   #15
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The reason for this is that the series list is not built from the series name. Kobo uses an internal identifier that groups the books together as a series. That is used on their devices and in their store. The driver in calibre has to replicate this somehow. If it finds a series name for a book from Kobo that matches the series name in the calibre library, it uses the id to group the books. If there is no match, then it uses the series name itself. This does meant that if you sideload a book in a series and then buy a book in the same series, they will appear to be in two different series. But, the next time you connect the device to calibre, it should be fixed.
Does this require "update purchased books" to be checked in the Metadata, on device and advanced tab of the KoboTouch driver? I don't feel like downloading/sideloading some books to test though I do have it checked.

Tags
calibre, firmware, kobo, series organization