Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 10-29-2019, 11:28 AM   #1
RachelUte
RachelUte began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Best Cover For Nova Pro!

SOLUTION! I have a case that fits AND looks good.

I tried to find the best option for a cover for my new Nova Pro - and found there are extremely limited options (their case just doesn't do it for me), and found almost no suggestions around here... so here's my 2c, after buying and returning almost every similar sized case.

IPAD MINI 1/2/3/4 CASE with plyable (tpu/silicone-esque) inner holster - either without closing magnets... or remove the magnets and put on some Velcro. The magnets interfere with the screen a bit if you don't.

I had to use an exacto knife to cut a bit out of the top area where the power button is, but it's PERFECT. I also added a few of those sticky pen holder things to the inside. The charging area on the bottom is already in the right place and didn't need altering.

FYI - I also modified another iPad mini case with a harder inside, but it was a pain in my... I don't recommend it, but it also worked well w/ the reader size.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191029_105429.jpg
Views:	864
Size:	419.5 KB
ID:	174600   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191029_105437.jpg
Views:	990
Size:	368.4 KB
ID:	174601   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191029_105451.jpg
Views:	792
Size:	213.0 KB
ID:	174602  
RachelUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 11:34 AM   #2
ehelldane
ehelldane began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Nova Pro
Thanks for your time and effort trying out covers--and sharing the results. I'm gonna try a SOFT BACK (TPU) standard flip cover for the iPad 5, because it includes a slot for the stylus, but I'm weary about it because the 5 is a bit longer than the iPad 1-2-3s.

Case I'm going to try: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VR3NXGF/

Device Measurements for reference:

Boox Nova Pro

196.3 × 137 × 7.7 mm
7.73 x 5.4 x 0.3 in

iPad Mini 1

199.9 × 134.6 × 7.1 mm
7.87 × 5.3 × 0.28 in

iPad Mini 2 + 3

199.9 × 134.6 × 7.4 mm
7.87 × 5.3 × 0.29 in

iPad Mini 4 + 5

203.2 × 134.6 × 6.1 mm
8 × 5.3 × 0.24 in
ehelldane is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2019, 03:03 PM   #3
jscris
Addict
jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: k1 - KAO2, ipads, h2o, KA1, inkBOOK, T80s, Mars, Nova Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehelldane View Post
Did it fit?
jscris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 09:27 PM   #4
ehelldane

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscris View Post
Did it fit?
Expected delivery date for that case is DECEMBER 3rd or later. It's still in CHINA ATM.

Also, I accidentally ordered a generic sleeve case for 6in ereaders and tablets off of AliExpress (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32980038328.html) IT DID NOT WORK!!... which should be obvious, it's about an inch and a half too short for the Nova. The quality of the sleeve was excellent however.

I have no idea how I managed to not notice the error while ordering, I looked at dozens of options and quickly dismissed any with inside dimensions smaller than the device. And I habitually double check things before finalizing orders.

Anyway, I've also ordered an identical item for 7.8in devices (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32978929917.html), and I'll report as to it's fit when it arrives too, just in case anybody is curious.

Last edited by ehelldane; 11-18-2019 at 09:30 PM.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:04 PM   #5
jscris
Addict
jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: k1 - KAO2, ipads, h2o, KA1, inkBOOK, T80s, Mars, Nova Pro
Quote:
Expected delivery date for that case is DECEMBER 3rd or later. It's still in CHINA ATM.
Sorry, didn't realize it was shipping from China. I'll be curious whether that size works. Meanwhile, I ordered and received this case:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have liked the Skin Touch on a case for the Oasis 2 and I do like that about this one. Don't really like, however, the adhesive and would have preferred another color than gray, but it's different. Of course I realized those things before I ordered. I think there may be others of the same type at an even lower price on Amazon.

jscris
jscris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2019, 01:04 AM   #6
ehelldane

This case : https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VR3NXGF/ ... DOES NOT work AS IS, the case is a tad too narrow, too thin, and a bit longer than the Nova; and it's not very flexible at all. I'm thinking I might be able to cut out some plastic on the Apple Pencil holder side to make room for the Nova, but that might limit the cases ability to hold the Nova's stylus??

Very nice case though otherwise, wish I had an iPad Mini to put in it.

The seller also sent me an extra case, which kinda does work for the Nova, and looks like the following but with a different print (bright pink world map) : https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Z1W3J28/

This second case works better for 2 reasons: 1) the outside magnetic flap holds it closed, but just barely (this case gets pushed out widthwise too, but fits the Nova perfectly lengthwise--probably not an iPad 4+5 compatible case); 2) it also has a dramatically more flexible plastic ... but the pen holder is external. : (

Both cases put the Nova Pro to sleep and woke it up just fine!

It appears that the Nova is really too thick for iPad Mini cases, but only by a hair; so a little modding or a flexible enough case might still work. I'm also guessing that the iPad Mini 2 or 3 cases would be the best option, as the 4 and 5 are a little longer, but then that wiggle room might be handy when the case distorts slightly to accommodate the Nova's width... I was hoping that was going to be what happened with the black case, but, again, it doesn't have soft enough plastic to accommodate the Nova's width AS IS.

I'm gonna MOD both these cases after playing with them a bit more tomorrow. I'll update later, and include photos of the changes if either works out.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:06 PM   #7
LightReader
LightReader began at the beginning.

Did either of them work out? Please tell me yes!

Quote:
I'm gonna MOD both these cases after playing with them a bit more tomorrow. I'll update later, and include photos of the changes if either works out.
LightReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 10:43 PM   #8
ehelldane

The free case was basically identical to the OP's and it definitely worked alright with some modifications. The seller that sent it doesn't have a listing for it, so here's a near identical item from a reputable seller, which should have the same results: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07C5GH79Y/

Some pictures below and more via links

Premod test: https://imgur.com/gallery/sktpiRv
Mods and results: https://imgur.com/gallery/453WZa1

I first used an X-Acto knife to enlarge the opening that matched up to the USB-C port, so it would accept the plug easily.

Secondly I enlarged the power button hole, so it lined up with the Nova's power button (which is a little hard to feel with the tip of my finger, but it works).

Last, but not least, I took a huge gamble and sliced all the way down the outside edge of the soft plastic device holder, to allow it to accommodate the extra width and thickness of the Nova vs and iPad Mini. This worked, but one needs to replace the connection with some tape to keep the loose length of plastic from just flopping around.

I used masking tape to accomplish that reconnection temporarily, which worked, but masking tape isn't sticky enough to hold after some use. I suggest using double-sided tape either in the case or on the Nova, if you're going to leaving in the case pretty much all the time; and single-sided tape that sticks well enough to the cases plastic, if you're going to remove the Nova often.

One may also be able to sidestep the side slice and tape job by heating the plastic well before inserting the Nova. So the plastic stretches. But I didn't test this--it's just a theory.

Note: At first, the case appeared to work with the magnet sleep feature, but it also randomly caused the sleep feature to trigger when the cover was folded to the back of the open case. So I turned off the 'sleep when cover is closed' option in the settings rather than removing or modding the magnets, but that could be done instead.

I haven't yet modded the other case with the harder plastic, I'm nervous about it. and...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20191203_211909.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	388.0 KB
ID:	175396   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191203_213130.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	983.0 KB
ID:	175397   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191203_214712.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	414.3 KB
ID:	175398   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191203_214833.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	489.5 KB
ID:	175399   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191203_214957.jpg
Views:	577
Size:	822.1 KB
ID:	175400  
Old 12-06-2019, 11:49 PM   #9
ehelldane

.... ug, post got lost in translation, lame auto-log-out.

I also got a soft sleeve with a pocket that worked great. It's fitted enough for a nude Nova, but would likely take a Nova in a slim fitting case too. So if anyone likes sleeves or wants some extra padding while traveling have a look here:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32978929917.html

They also have plenty of other 7.8-8inch sleeves available.
Old 12-07-2019, 06:04 PM   #10
ehelldane

I'm playing with the black case still, trying to decide what to do to it.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VR3NXGF/

So far the stylus does not fit in the Apple pencil slot as is either. It's obviously not as thick around, so it doesn't snap in and stay. But it's also actually too thick where the pocket clip is on the stylus. So the cover doesn't close down all the way with it in there.

Luckily, there's already a little slot cut into the edge so the user can push an Apple Pencil out from behind. I'm thinking I can just make that big enough to accommodate the pocket clip. But it will still fall out easily without something to hold it in: maybe velcro, or some foam padding in the slot.

Alternatively, there's the option to get a stylus without a clip, and add something to secure it in the slot if necessary. But I'm not a heavy stylus user, so I'm not going that route.

The plastic is kinda hard, I'm thinking about buying a rotary tool... I'm gonna end up turning this $12 case into an $85 pile of trash... shh, don't tell the wife.
Old 12-17-2019, 05:56 PM   #11
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
Quote:
.... ug, post got lost in translation, lame auto-log-out.

I also got a soft sleeve with a pocket that worked great. It's fitted enough for a nude Nova, but would likely take a Nova in a slim fitting case too. So if anyone likes sleeves or wants some extra padding while traveling have a look here:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32978929917.html

They also have plenty of other 7.8-8inch sleeves available.
Bought this on Ebay in the US for $14. I started to buy it on Aliexpress but it said 19 to 41 days for shipping lol.

Thanks for sharing.
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 07:31 AM   #12
MachinaCarnis
MachinaCarnis began at the beginning.

I just received this one : https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Very satisfied : solid, little bit weighty, but that's ok , and I can put the stylus inside.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20191221_131442.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	228.4 KB
ID:	175779   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191221_131447.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	204.4 KB
ID:	175780   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191221_131453.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	212.2 KB
ID:	175781  
MachinaCarnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 02:13 AM   #13
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
I'm waiting for this one, I like it cos it's a 360 cover.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3303...650c2c25cCsxYp
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 02:25 PM   #14
ehelldane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
I'm waiting for this one, I like it cos it's a 360 cover.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3303...650c2c25cCsxYp
Looks good to me. Storing the pen inside is a plus.

Let us know if that magnetic closure negatively affects the writing on the tablet when it's folded behind to hold the cover open... it probably will.

Shame it's about the same price as the official case, which is excellent, in my opinion, aside from the pen being stored outside the case.
Old 01-18-2020, 02:55 PM   #15
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Quote:
Looks good to me. Storing the pen inside is a plus.

Let us know if that magnetic closure negatively affects the writing on the tablet when it's folded behind to hold the cover open... it probably will.

Shame it's about the same price as the official case, which is excellent, in my opinion, aside from the pen being stored outside the case.
I'll shall give it a try but it won't bother me if the magnets affect the writing as I don't intent on using the pen. Only interested in reading.
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nova pro, onyx boox nova pro