Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-14-2020, 04:18 AM   #1
jakiefriks9
Banned
jakiefriks9 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Which Kindle model should I go for?

I'm currently using a tablet for reading, and want to upgrade to eink. I was wondering if there is a specific model that is considered better than the others. I know some devices get "upgraded" which actually ends up being a downgrade, so am unsure about just getting the newest one.
jakiefriks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 05:32 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
What kind of things do you read?

If you mostly read text, then a 6" reader should be fine. I'd recommend the Paperwhite of the current Kindle models.

The low end Kindle has a lower-resolution screen, and isn't waterproof.

If you read fixed layout stuff, a Kindle may not be best, but if you really want to, I'd recommend the Oasis, which has a slightly bigger screen (7"), but is much more expensive.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 06:22 AM   #3
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
My favourite Kindle is my Oasis. It always feels like it's a bit snappier to use. But a lot depends on whether the slightly bigger size feels like an improvement or a burden, and whether you like physical page turn buttons or not. Also the cost of course.

Paperwhite is a very good reader too. The basic Kindle is decent but has the drawbacks pdurrant mentions, so unless you're on a tight budget I'd avoid it.

FWIW Amazon IME are a lot more conservative about firmware changes. Kobo for example will completely change the interface in an upgrade. Amazon tend to add key features a few at a time and fit them into the existing UI.

I do own a few Kobos and they are usually nice readers*, if you're not wedded to the Amazon ebook infrastructure and you don't mind having to downgrade the firmware if needed (not that hard) then they may be worth a look. I'm especially fond of my Clara HD.

(*quality varies a bit more. You have a higher chance of getting a reader you need to exchange than with Kindles. Still low, but higher.)
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 09:38 AM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
If you want something a bit larger than 6'' and the Oasis seems too expensive, then the Kobo Libra H2O is a very nice reader. I love mine. Kobos are a lot more customizable than Kindles, if you're into that sort of thing, but they're also pretty good out of the box. Of course getting a Kobo would mean either not buying from Amazon or learning how to remove the DRM from Kindle ebooks and converting them to Kobo formats.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 10:32 AM   #5
trcm
Connoisseur
trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle PW4, Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eragon View Post
PW3 or voyage. Pw4 is a downgrade.
This, dont get a PW4, the glass front makes for horrible viewing in anything other the direct light. The PW3 is so much nicer in this regard.
trcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 11:03 AM   #6
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eragon View Post
PW3 or voyage. Pw4 is a downgrade.
Amazon Does NOT Sell or Support these products.

OP Amazon PW4 or Kobo Clara HD
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 11:07 AM   #7
trcm
Connoisseur
trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle PW4, Libra H2O
No, but they're available all over the place 2nd hand!
Seriously, dont get a PW4 unless you've seen for yourself how blurry text looks in some conditions and find that acceptable.
trcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 11:21 AM   #8
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by trcm View Post
Seriously, dont get a PW4 unless you've seen for yourself how blurry text looks in some conditions and find that acceptable.
My Paperwhite 4 doesn't have blurry text. I've been using it for a year and the text is is fine, at all sizes.

Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 11:56 AM   #9
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
My PW4 is EXCELLENT in ALL kinds of light. Letters are Crisp!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 02:39 PM   #10
Tomk2
Groupie
Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: none
First decide if you want page turn buttons or not. If you do, Oasis or old Voyage are your choices. If not, get a paperwhite.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 04:26 PM   #11
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
Amazon Does NOT Sell or Support these products.
Quote:
Actually Amazon does sell and support 7th generation Paperwhites. They're certified refurbished and get the same warranties as new eReaders.

https://www.amazon.com/Certified-Ref...s%2C285&sr=1-1

Last edited by issybird; 08-15-2020 at 08:45 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 04:32 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakiefriks9 View Post
I'm currently using a tablet for reading, and want to upgrade to eink. I was wondering if there is a specific model that is considered better than the others. I know some devices get "upgraded" which actually ends up being a downgrade, so am unsure about just getting the newest one.
Please give more information.

Where do you live? What sort of books do you like? Have you looked at other brands such as Kobo or Pocketbook?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 04:33 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
This, dont get a PW4, the glass front makes for horrible viewing in anything other the direct light. The PW3 is so much nicer in this regard.
Don't get the PW3 because Amazon has EOLed it.
Old 08-14-2020, 04:34 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
And in a lot of cases, a 2nd hand Kindle can be blacklisted. So you take a risk buying a 2nd hand Kindle especially from eBay.
Old 08-14-2020, 04:37 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
My PW4 is EXCELLENT in ALL kinds of light. Letters are Crisp!
The PW3 has better contrast then the PW4. My guess is that the PW4 has the same screen placement as the PW3 but the top layer was moved up to be flush. which would explain why the PW3 looks better then the PW4.