Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-19-2023, 09:27 AM   #1
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
What is the best color ereader that is not crazy expensive?

I am thinking of getting myself a color ereader for my birthday. Anny recommendations ?? are there any good ones under $400. Thanks. I may just forget it and get the new nook coming out.

Last edited by HLS; 08-19-2023 at 11:51 AM.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 11:36 AM   #2
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
I am thinking of getting myself a color ereader for my birthday. Anny recommendations ?? are there any good ones under $400. Thanks. I may just forget it and get the new nook coming out.
I highly recommend this one - I have it myself and it has become my go-to reader.

Due to its construction, the screen appears dark and lacks contrast when unlit; but as soon as the lighting is switched on, the necessary brightness and the excellent contrast come to light.

There are 4096 colors, which are not natural, but rather approximate and pale - but they offer much more information than the 16 EInk gray levels
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2023, 11:37 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
There is no best. Color eInk is meh! at best.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 11:54 AM   #4
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
probably cheaper to buy a 64GB iPad than a 32GB color ereader
Old 08-19-2023, 11:55 AM   #5
HLS
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
I highly recommend this one - I have it myself and it has become my go-to reader.

Due to its construction, the screen appears dark and lacks contrast when unlit; but as soon as the lighting is switched on, the necessary brightness and the excellent contrast come to light.

There are 4096 colors, which are not natural, but rather approximate and pale - but they offer much more information than the 16 EInk gray levels
Link does not work. says page can not be displayed
Advert
Old 08-19-2023, 11:59 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The link does work. I've posted the link as code so you can copy it.

Code:
https://shop.boox.com/products/tabminic
Old 08-19-2023, 12:06 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
An iPad mini with 64GB is not much more then the Onyx Tab Mini C. $449 vs $499.
Old 08-19-2023, 12:11 PM   #8
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have no problems - Firefox
Old 08-19-2023, 12:14 PM   #9
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
It just doesn't shine directly in your eyes
Old 08-19-2023, 01:21 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
It just doesn't shine directly in your eyes
The reason an iPad would shine directly in your eyes is because the brightness is set too high. The problem is solved by turning the brightness down so it's not shining directly in your eyes.
Old 08-19-2023, 01:43 PM   #11
cellaris
Addict
cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo, PocketBook, Tolino, Bookeen, Onyx Boox, Boyue.
Quote:
If you consider a tablet to be an e-reader and have no problem reading on it, I would not waste my time with any e-reader (with or without colour). The difference in functions between the two types of devices is abysmal.

If you feel that there are fundamental differences between reading on an e-reader and reading on a tablet, and you want to read on an e-reader for whatever reason, you are going to have to go with what the market has to offer. When it comes to colour e-readers, the Tab Mini C is one of the best you're going to find right now.

(Understand me, if you ask me for a recommendation to buy the best tablet for watching films, I'm not going to recommend you go to the cinema, even though I think this is a much better option).
cellaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 02:14 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Color Readers are crazy expensive.
Old 08-19-2023, 02:15 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:

Can you find what you consider a good color Reader for no more then $400? The one you've recommended is above the price cap..
Old 08-19-2023, 02:24 PM   #14
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Can you find what you consider a good color Reader for no more then $400? The one you've recommended is above the price cap..
Nothing I could really recommend.
Old 08-19-2023, 02:29 PM   #15
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
The reason an iPad would shine directly in your eyes is because the brightness is set too high. The problem is solved by turning the brightness down so it's not shining directly in your eyes.
Only when the screen is turned off does it not shine in your eyes - but then you see no content, just black.