Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-16-2023, 09:42 PM   #1
alanfw
alanfw began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Alternatives to Kobo Forma

Am I just unlucky or is Kobo Forma a heap of junk? The Forma was my first e-reader and I quickly fell in love and bought one for my partner. Since then, I have had so many frustrating issues that the relationship has become extremely bitter! (My partner's has become unusable with battery charging issues 14 months after buying it. Mine was replaced after 8 months and another 8 months later my replacement is having power issues.)

So now it's time to look at alternatives available in Australia. This is my wish list:
  1. Will be used for reading on the boat so MUST be readable in bright sunlight. And also should be splash-proof (preferably waterproof).
  2. Will be used for reading books from my local library. Borrowbox and Overdrive appear to be supported by my library. The reader doesn't HAVE to be able to download directly from overdrive/Libby, but it would be nice. I can handle using Adobe Digital Editions to transfer ebooks to the reader.
  3. Big screen. My old eyes need big print so 6 inch is no good. The Forma is OK at 8 inch, but I wouldn't go smaller. Bigger might be nice.
  4. RELIABILITY!!! Definitely want a product that isn't plagued by bug-ridden firmware updates rolled out by the manufacturer.
  5. Good battery life. But I'd prefer short battery life with reliability over long battery life but bug-riddled.

Thankyou in advance for your ideas.
alanfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 03:55 AM   #2
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
If you like Android, there are various manufacturers that make Android-based e-readers, such as Boox. You can get 7.8, 10.3, or 13.3" screens. Kobo also makes the 8" Sage and the 10.3" Elipsa, but as you've already noticed, Kobo's firmware can be dodgy. It's also likely that the Sage is going to get replaced in the next six months, so you probably wouldn't want to buy one right now. The Elipsa just got updated earlier this year.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2023, 05:19 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Android is far more troublesome than Kobo. I've both.
I think you were unlucky with the Forma.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 06:45 AM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I also think you've been unlucky. I've had no major issues with the 3 Kobos I've used (my current ones have been in daily use for almost 2 years now). That said, I don't install every firmware update that's released; often I skip several of them, especially when other users report bugs.

Kindles are the least buggy ereaders IMO. But the only Kindle with a big screen is the Scribe, and it's not waterproof. Moreover, Overdrive books can be read on Kindles only in the US, not elsewhere in the world.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 01:03 PM   #5
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
I've owned five Kobos so far... and the only reason I've owned so many is that I have a bad habit of breaking them. I agree with the others... you've been unlucky.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2023, 01:08 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Also you might want to realize that reading on a boat unless you are planning on sticking to fresh water is not a good idea unless you happen to own the Kobo Aura H2O which was physically sealed. The current generation of waterproof ereaders use a conformal coating (see HZO for instance). This means that while water may get into the device, in theory, it should not damage the electronics. Unfortunately, the IP testing is done with plain water. This means that salt water, soapy water, etc. are not something to immerse your ereader in or even get splashed by. The USB connector for instance will corrode very happily after being in contact with salt water.

So if your ereader contacts salt water, an immediate rinse with fresh water should keep any damage from happening but there is no guarantee.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 01:47 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Also you might want to realize that reading on a boat unless you are planning on sticking to fresh water is not a good idea unless you happen to own the Kobo Aura H2O which was physically sealed. The current generation of waterproof ereaders use a conformal coating (see HZO for instance). This means that while water may get into the device, in theory, it should not damage the electronics. Unfortunately, the IP testing is done with plain water. This means that salt water, soapy water, etc. are not something to immerse your ereader in or even get splashed by. The USB connector for instance will corrode very happily after being in contact with salt water.

So if your ereader contacts salt water, an immediate rinse with fresh water should keep any damage from happening but there is no guarantee.
I've read on a number of cruise ships with no ill effect. But then I use a cover and I am careful. My Reader is in my bag when it's not in use. I don't sit too close to the pool.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 02:02 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've read on a number of cruise ships with no ill effect. But then I use a cover and I am careful. My Reader is in my bag when it's not in use. I don't sit too close to the pool.
Whereas in a small boat, you are a lot more likely to get splashed when the boat is in motion or in one case, to have a salmon land in your lap.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 02:04 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Whereas in a small boat, you are a lot more likely to get splashed when the boat is in motion or in one case, to have a salmon land in your lap.
If I was in a small boat, my Kobo would stay in my bag if I brought it with me. Last time I did that was on a ferry. But I also had my dog with me so reading was out.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 04:30 PM   #10
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Anecdotaly, I was on a ferry recently in choppy salt water and spray was hitting us. I was reading on my Clara 2E and it has been fine.*

*I am not endorsing this behavior.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 07:11 AM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I'd want a tether on me and the ereader if it was rough.
If I had a fiver for everything dropped overboard on a dinghy… Last item was my son-in-law's hat.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote