Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-27-2023, 07:45 AM   #1
Penultimo
Penultimo began at the beginning.

Device: KOA3, KT2, K5
Exclamation Which one is better than Kindle Oasis?

Hey everybody,

Just tired of amazon's horrible UI on my Kindle Oasis and want to find something better. Unfortunately, my KOA 3 has updated to 5.16.2.1, so I can't root it up.

I need your advice for these requirements:

1) Yellow \ white backlight.
2) Open \ possibly rooted system, so I can use folder system for books, and (possibly) install Cool Reader or KOReader.
3) Replaceble battery - because Oasis is non reparable sh... and after few years goes strait to trash.
4) Phisical buttons - optionally, because better buttons that in Kindle 4 I've never met((
5) Decent display - optionally too, I can hadle bad dispay, if everything else is ok.

Currently I'm hinking about Oasis 2016, it can be rooted and has a replacable batter.
Or maybe some modern readers like KOBO or Barnes & Noble are better?
Penultimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 10:50 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The Kobo Libra 2 and Sage have buttons and don't even need "rooted"/"Jailbreak". Certainly the Sage opens easily to replace a battery cell.
I've had an Oasis gen 2 and still have 3 other Kindles. Keep your Oasis in a drawer and use it only for buying Amazon ebooks, if needed.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2023, 11:17 AM   #3
The_Enobee
The_Enobee began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Definitely sounds like time for a Kobo. I replaced a 2019 Oasis with both the Sage and Libra 2 that Quoth mentioned, and I've never looked back. Way more flexible in managing just about every facet of my library and device, and much improved performance and screen quality.

Not 100% sure on battery replacement for Libra 2, but it's a fantastic value and entry point.
The_Enobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 12:27 PM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Actually people have opened the Libra 2 to swap the SD card, though it's glued in. So you can replace the battery in theory.
An Oasis 2 or 3 doesn't seem to open, only Oasis 1. I have replaced batteries on Kindle DXG and KK3.

Last edited by Quoth; 08-22-2023 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Models that don't open
Old 07-28-2023, 12:25 AM   #5
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penultimo View Post
3) Replaceble battery - because Oasis is non reparable sh... and after few years goes strait to trash.
I have several Nook STs that are now a dozen years old and batteries still hold a charge. I'm not saying every device will do that. But I believe the batteries in eink readers will last a lot longer than you think.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2023, 02:02 AM   #6
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
It probably depends how you treat the battery. If you keep it at 100% all the time, it will certainly degrade faster.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 05:57 AM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
It probably depends how you treat the battery. If you keep it at 100% all the time, it will certainly degrade faster.
It depends on the charge controller and usage. Certainly storage at 60% to 80% is best. Kobo and old Sony work better than Kindle for intermittent use (gaps of month) because they really turn off. The Kindle blank screen is just a blank screen in a deep sleep mode and it goes flat faster when not used than an old Sony or new Sage.
Old 08-07-2023, 07:50 AM   #8
aleritty
aleritty knows the square root of minus one.aleritty knows the square root of minus one.aleritty knows the square root of minus one.aleritty knows the square root of minus one.aleritty knows the square root of minus one.aleritty knows the square root of minus one.aleritty knows the square root of minus one.aleritty knows the square root of minus one.aleritty knows the square root of minus one.aleritty knows the square root of minus one.aleritty knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle 3 keyboard
I'm in a similar situation and I jump in to ask some more details on the suggested kobo's.

1) I read that they have bluetooth, is it fully implemented (file transfer/listening to any audi) or is only for kobo's bought audiobook?
2) One thing I really hate about kindle is that I cannot remove the items that I directly buy from the device... Either I keep them in my list or I remove the book totally from my account and I need to pay again to read it again. Is it similar for Kobo?

Thank you
aleritty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 11:59 AM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Kobo has their audiobook player for their books and also a rather sad audiobook player for sideloaded mp3 in zip archive audio files.

If you remove a purchased and synced book from your Kobo, it ends up in your archive on Kobo's website and you can restore it from there.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 12:12 PM   #10
aleritty
aleritty knows the square root of minus one.aleritty knows the square root of minus one.aleritty knows the square root of minus one.aleritty knows the square root of minus one.aleritty knows the square root of minus one.aleritty knows the square root of minus one.aleritty knows the square root of minus one.aleritty knows the square root of minus one.aleritty knows the square root of minus one.aleritty knows the square root of minus one.aleritty knows the square root of minus one.

Thank you for your answer.

Can I ask also about Bluetooth? Is it only for audio or can be used for other things? (with a Jailbreak if necessary)
Old 08-10-2023, 12:38 PM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
There is no jailbreak or rooting required on a Kobo ereader. It is an open system. One of the reasons I like them.

As for using Bluetooth other than for audio, I've never bothered. The few times I've played with wireless transfers, I've used FTP over the wireless connection though there have packages built to allow SSH/SCP with a Kobo. As for keyboard use? There have been several mentions of using a Bluetooth keyboard, one example is: Using a Bluetooth keyboard with recent Kobos.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 02:43 PM   #12
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

A BT keyboard sort of works with Sage and Elipsa, but it drops the connection while you read (not the pairing). There is logic to it. Less logical is that the Keyboard only navigates and types file names on either kind of notebook, no direct text in that, though epub annotations work.

But I have an Android eink with Android text editor and it's abysmal compared to same editor on phone or real tablet (Jota).

The BT audio works, but pointless compared to BT on phone as the display blanks and more portable. Better music/Audiobook players on phone too.
Old 08-11-2023, 02:23 AM   #13
aleritty

Thank you for your advices, now I have all the information needed and will do the switch soon!
Old 08-19-2023, 06:13 PM   #14
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I am going to get hate for saying this but why waste money on a device if you are going to "F" it up by jailbreaking it and voiding the warrantees. Just read on the device you have or get an ipad and get the apps. Reading is reading. It's just that simple
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 07:10 PM   #15
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
I am going to get hate for saying this but why waste money on a device if you are going to "F" it up by jailbreaking it and voiding the warrantees. Just read on the device you have or get an ipad and get the apps. Reading is reading. It's just that simple
Why are you making hateful postings ordering people around on topics you know nothing about?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote