Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 08-30-2023, 07:00 PM   #466
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppirx View Post
"your device seems to be unable to download packages"
Known issue. The DownloadManager is broken on Tolinos, at least some of them. The string you quoted was added as a workaround for that specific brand: If the DownloadManager produces an exception show it and ask "retry using the browser?".

See https://github.com/koreader/koreader/issues/5731

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppirx View Post
even the built in browser cannot handle the file format. "... not supported". I am wondering, because i think it worked once!?
Yep, it used to work. Not sure why it doesn't anymore but seems unlikely to be related with KOReader. Anyhow we're not going to workaround a workaround.

My suggestion would be:

1. double check your preferred browser. KO sends a generic intent pointing to an APK, like https://github.com/koreader/koreader...m-v2023.08.apk but the system is in charge to decide which app will handle that link.

2. if you're not able to get it working again try to switch to Fdroid version and just update like any other fdroid app or install the apk manually with adb
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 07:14 PM   #467
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ext23 View Post
Sorry for the double post. How can I keep track of when this patch goes live?
On github

The patch: https://github.com/koreader/koreader-base/pull/1650

Goes live when it reaches https://github.com/koreader/koreader. If you're running nightlies you can get it the night/day after it goes live
Advert
Old 08-30-2023, 07:31 PM   #468
ext23
ext23 began at the beginning.

Device: Hisense A9
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazos View Post
On github

The patch: https://github.com/koreader/koreader-base/pull/1650

Goes live when it reaches https://github.com/koreader/koreader. If you're running nightlies you can get it the night/day after it goes live
You're an absolute legend, thank you. This device is finally becoming usable for me and KOReader is the reason why. Love your work. Last question, if I install a nightly, will it be updated when the next official version is released to F-Droid?
ext23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 02:34 AM   #469
ppirx
ppirx began at the beginning.

Device: PW2 (90D4 XXXX) 5.12.2.2 - & - tolino shine3
Smile

Quote:
My suggestion would be:

1. double check your preferred browser. KO sends a generic intent pointing to an APK, like https://github.com/koreader/koreader...m-v2023.08.apk but the system is in charge to decide which app will handle that link.

2. if you're not able to get it working again try to switch to Fdroid version and just update like any other fdroid app or install the apk manually with adb
Thank you very much for those detailed infos, didnt think about a better browser, i usually did it over a file manager and donwloaded the new release apk from my nas. But since i realized that koreader can even download books from network storages i used it only for updating koreader. And now on my holiday i couldnt resist to get the brand new telease... and i remeber i did not manage to get fdroid installed at the first time as suggested on koreaders installation instructions. But i will try as soon as possible! And by the way, is there a way to connect my android phone with the tolino, via adapter cables or wifi tethering?
Anyway the more i use koreader, the more i realize how fascinating this pease of software is. Thank you very much, there is hardly people i can talk about it... and last but not least, another great plus using koreader on to different devices is, that you have one at home and the other at work and everything feels the same and even syncing to them is so good.
ppirx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 04:08 PM   #470
ppirx
ppirx began at the beginning.

Device: PW2 (90D4 XXXX) 5.12.2.2 - & - tolino shine3
I got my android phone connected with my tolino via cable and could transfer the files. I needed fdroid classic, as it is the last version supporting kitkat 4.4. Did not think about it at the first time..
ppirx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2023, 05:22 PM   #471
pazos
cosiñeiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ext23 View Post
Last question, if I install a nightly, will it be updated when the next official version is released to F-Droid?
No. They're two different apps. One released by us on github and koreader.rocks and the other released by F-Droid.

You can have both installed at the same time, so I would recommend you that until the fix you're waiting for is included on the next Fdroid release v2023.09.

Otherwise you need to wait more than a month for it.
Old 09-02-2023, 04:39 AM   #472
ext23
ext23 began at the beginning.

Device: Hisense A9
Quote:
No. They're two different apps. One released by us on github and koreader.rocks and the other released by F-Droid.
Thank you for your clear explanation. And the button press now works on my device! You're a lifesaver! Thanks so so so much. I just sent you a donation, it's in JPY if that helps to identify me.
ext23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 01:33 AM   #473
Tialex
Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Nook Glowlight 4e
Is orientation supposed to work in Nook Glowlight 4 (4e in my case)?

The device is 1024x758 and works perfectly when not rotated, but rotation to 90 or 270 reveals the following
  • The layout is rotated
  • Looks like the new width and height is not taken into account, the width of the page stays the same (758) and the rest is filled with black
  • It's impossible to activate bottom menu (at least to try to adjust) since the tapping in usual bottom area leads to page flipping.
  • The screenshot composite illustrates what I described + how the main menu looks when activated

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ngl4_rot.png
Views:	69
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	204352  
Tialex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 01:35 PM   #474
pazos
cosiñeiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tialex View Post
Is orientation supposed to work in Nook Glowlight 4 (4e in my case)?
The rotation is broken on a few devices since https://github.com/koreader/koreader/issues/9446

Will be working again with https://github.com/koreader/android-...ncher/pull/439

In the mean time those with affected devices that rely on hw rotation can use v2023.05 or previous releases.

If v2023.05 doesn't fix the issue, then the device is broken beyond repair and the only solution is to disable hw rotation completely and fallback to software rota (KO is rotated, system is not). In that case please read and comment in https://github.com/koreader/koreader/issues/8482

Last edited by pazos; 10-20-2023 at 01:37 PM.
Old 10-20-2023, 06:39 PM   #475
Tialex
Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:

In the mean time those with affected devices that rely on hw rotation can use v2023.05 or previous releases.
Thanks, after your information I dug into the sources and found that hasNativeRotation for Android just checks for API version so probably indeed the hardware rotation is used. I tried to apply the following patch (either with 1- or 2- prefix)

Code:
local frBuffer = require("ffi/framebuffer_android")
frBuffer.setRotationMode = function(self, mode)
end
to the mixed results. KoReader successfully felt through to the software rotation for a last opened epub file, but failed to achieve the same for a pdf file (the symptoms are the same as I posted before) and (for example) for the file manager failed for all cases. It felt like this function override didn't live for long and later was again returned to the primary value.

By the way, maybe its reasonable to provide something like "always use software rotation" in the settings? The mode for epub that worked with the above patch seemed to work correctly.
Old 10-20-2023, 06:57 PM   #476
pazos
cosiñeiro

Quote:
Thanks, after your information I dug into the sources and found that hasNativeRotation for Android just checks for API version so probably indeed the hardware rotation is used. I tried to apply the following patch (either with 1- or 2- prefix)

By the way, maybe its reasonable to provide something like "always use software rotation" in the settings?
Indeed. The only reason I never enabled hardware rotation on devices up to 4.3 is because the JB emulator failed to do it properly and had no other devices to test it.

HW rotation and SW rotation are indeed very bad names. Both are software. The former requests the rotation to android so everything is rotated (system ui, other apps...). The later is a rotation we do on our own before posting to the android sufarce.

Certainly, from a maintainer's perspective, makes little sense to offer inferior options on menus. Better to fix the bugs that make you consider that inferior option in the first place

But you're free to do what you want with users patches, of course.
Old 10-21-2023, 04:33 PM   #477
Tialex

Quote:
Certainly, from a maintainer's perspective, makes little sense to offer inferior options on menus. Better to fix the bugs that make you consider that inferior option in the first place
I agree, but there's another layer to it. KoReader is so customizable that the setting/option in conversation needs clarification, for example lua files in koreader/settings/ folder are also settings, non-UI ones, so this particular one might be implemented using this "second-class" feature (in context of your usage the "inferior" word )

Quote:
But you're free to do what you want with users patches, of course.
A little follow-up for my attempt to make a patch. First, thanks for such a powerful ecosystem with patching/scripting/plugin, looks like the sky's the limit with all those. A minor note: I suggest to add a little note about that patching doesn't work in FDroid flavor of the program in the patch wiki. Actually what I described as a mixed result was no-result (sometimes showing the correct rotation for epub files) since I tried all this with FDroid version, that had completely ignored my patch. A second minor note is that the despite the fact that FDroid is limited with patching, the menu for patch management was still working allowing disabling the patches.

Anyway, the script below works for any file (epub, pdf) and probably for any view of the program. Anyone who want to force the program rotation (vs system) for KoReader 2023.08 should create the file named 1-force-soft-rot.lua in the sdcard/koreader/patches directory with the following text

Code:
local logger = require("logger")

logger.info("Forcing software rotation")
  frBuffer.parent.setRotationMode(self, mode)
end

frBuffer.getRotationMode = function(self)
  return self.cur_rotation_mode
end
Old 11-15-2023, 02:20 PM   #478
nmyshkin
Enthusiast
nmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheese

Device: Nook Simple Touch (2), Nook Simple Touch w/Glowlight (2)
Quote:
Anyway, the script below works for any file (epub, pdf) and probably for any view of the program. Anyone who want to force the program rotation (vs system) for KoReader 2023.08 should create the file named 1-force-soft-rot.lua in the sdcard/koreader/patches directory with the following text
I just want to say thanks for this. I have two Nook Tablets running different custom ROMs and neither one apparently handles screen orientation in a way that KOreader likes. No problems with a stock ROM on another device.

I've been using an app that can force orientation on an app-by-app basis through Accessibility settings. This is so much better! Now KOreader behaves just like everything else, adopting the current system orientation.

Edit: Okay......never mind. I had only turned off control of KOreader screen orientation with the rotation control app, even rebooted, and everything looked good. But when I actually uninstalled the rotation control app, then KOreader resumed its random screen orientations, regardless of the system orientation even with the patch. SIGH. Well, I still think your patch is a great idea, it just doesn't work for these ROMs. At least I have something that does work.

Last edited by nmyshkin; 11-16-2023 at 02:06 PM. Reason: change in behavior
nmyshkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 01:05 PM   #479
Althusser
Althusser began at the beginning.

Device: PW5
Quote:

Code:
local logger = require("logger")

logger.info("Forcing software rotation")
  frBuffer.parent.setRotationMode(self, mode)
end

frBuffer.getRotationMode = function(self)
  return self.cur_rotation_mode
end
Thank you! On my device, an old tablet with Android 8.1, the script worked correctly even when I set the tablet to auto-rotate.
Althusser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 01:19 AM   #480
Matthew Roloff
Matthew Roloff began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx BOOX Palma
Hi,

I have been trying to create a user patch to account for the BOOX Palma's massive bezels which cover up the top corners of the screen. I attached what I came up with below but it doesn't seem to have any effect (It isn't the F-Droid version of the app).

koreader/patches/1-andoid-viewport-shift-down:
Code:
local Device = require("android")

function Device:setViewport(x, y, w, h)
    logger.info(string.format("Switching viewport to new geometry [x=%d,y=%d,w=%d,h=%d]", x, y, w, h))
    local viewport = Geom:new{x=x, y=120, w=w, h=h}
    self.screen:setViewport(viewport)
end

There is also this old related issue that never seemed to be resolved. Changing the setViewport in "ffi/framebuffer" also didn't seem to do anything.

koreader/patches/1-framebuffer-viewport-shift-down
Code:
local fb = require("ffi/framebuffer")

fb.setViewport = function(self, viewport)
    if not self.full_bb then
        self.full_bb = self.bb
    end
    self.debug("fb:setViewport() setting viewport to",
               viewport.x, viewport.y,
               viewport.w, viewport.h)
    self.bb = self.full_bb:viewport(
        viewport.x, 120,
        viewport.w, viewport.h)
    self.viewport = viewport
    self.full_bb:fill(Blitbuffer.COLOR_WHITE)
    self:refreshFull()
end

Any help would be appreciated,
thanks
Matthew Roloff is offline   Reply With Quote