Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-02-2011, 09:11 PM   #16
technomom
Enthusiast
technomom began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Pro, iPhone 12 mini
I adore Sigil beyond all reason and burble about it to anyone who will listen! I would happily pay $20 for it, although it wouldn't be easy for me. I'm quite happy to hear that you've been approached by someone who wants to pay you to advertise in the installer. Go for it!

I just began using Flight Crew and am incredibly tickled to hear that it will soon be integrated into Sigil. Thank you!

I didn't know that there is a Calibre plugin to launch Sigil from within Calibre - would someone provide a link? I'm still a bit unclear on finding new Calibre plugins. If not, I'll poke around until I find it, because I'm very, very interested.

Thank you very much!
technomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:49 PM   #17
Ahmad Samir
Zealot
Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
The ads in the installer, they don't hurt anyone, they don't hinder usage and you get a few bucks out of it, so why not??

I really like Sigil, and I don't want to see it go away any time soon; AFAIK it's the only one of its kind (in the Linux universe at least).

The point it, a developer working on an open source application must have a motive, as you said he wants an app to do a certain job that no other app out there does (or does finely enough), he gets a kick out of developing it... etc; in your case you were even lucky enough to mix your hobby with your studies, by making your thesis about Sigil. So yeah, if those ads aren't going to be too much in the way, I say all the better for you; Sigil deserves much more than the few nickels and dimes those ads will get you :)
Ahmad Samir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2011, 10:16 PM   #18
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by technomom View Post
I didn't know that there is a Calibre plugin to launch Sigil from within Calibre - would someone provide a link? I'm still a bit unclear on finding new Calibre plugins. If not, I'll poke around until I find it, because I'm very, very interested.

Thank you very much!
All of the GUI plugins for Calibre (and I've written quite a number now) are located in this thread.

There is an index I maintain on the first post to all the plugins within the thread. Specifically related to Sigil I recommend the "Open with" plugin which you can find at this post.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:23 PM   #19
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
A system where other devs can easily plug into the GUI or backend at runtime is trivial for applications written in interpreted, dynamic languages like Python in Calibre's case. For compiled applications it's much more difficult, as I'm sure you're aware.
Yeah I am aware I wasn't at all suggesting that Sigil go down that route, as you say it is much less practical for a multi-platform C++ application than a Python one. My point was that it gives tinkerers an outlet to add their pet feature rather than pestering the devs about it.

Then again I also frequently make other mods to the source code and run locally as I have done with both Sigil and Calibre - yes only I get the "benefits" of my changes but it is harmless to anyone else .

Hopefully the positive responses here in this thread so far go some way to a first step on allowing you to keep holding the reins a while longer.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:26 AM   #20
technomom
Enthusiast
technomom began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Pro, iPhone 12 mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
All of the GUI plugins for Calibre (and I've written quite a number now) are located in this thread.

There is an index I maintain on the first post to all the plugins within the thread. Specifically related to Sigil I recommend the "Open with" plugin which you can find at this post.
Thank you!
technomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2011, 08:09 AM   #21
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
Go for it!

I agree with everything you said. Perhaps you have a case of mid-winter blues.

Keep your vision for Sigil and make those changes which are truly bugs or fit into your vision. Answer the "Pink Screen" with a recommendation for a CSS entry.

I do have one change request to go along with this.

Take a page from Calibre and insert a "Donate to Sigil" selection. I for one am agreeable to donating especially when a new version is delivered.

Remember what we were told in the Army:

"Cheer up! Things could get worse.
So we cheered up and, sure enough, things got worse."

Keep the faith, baby.
crutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:14 AM   #22
LGN
Connoisseur
LGN is on a distinguished road

Device: ProMedia eReader, Sony PRS-600
Your blogpost seems to be about two semi-seperate things: The GUI and options of the application and the additional software.
The first part focusses on developers, which aren't always the best GUI designers, and options that only a few people can use. And most users are just that, users. For the most part they aren't programmers. This will be an never-ending 'battle' I guess.

The next part switches gears to talk about optional software. I cursed as MIRO for doing that, ecpecially because they DO have turned it on by default. Poof, there I got a semi-crappy browser toolbar pushed down my throught. I am to blame for not paying attention during install.
If you want to add that in the installer, I feel that you only get some cash if people actually install something, or you get payed more when you put it ON by default, otherwise, why would some other apps have it on by default.
Why I don't have anything against being added to the installer I hardly see who would actually install any additional software offered by the installer. I think people who do probably think it is needed by the application or weren't paying attention while installing.

And while I hope you will get something out of it, I hope it's worth it to continue Sigil as it's a very useful application and one of the very few in this particular sector.

But that is a seperate issue than the talk about the LIGIS application I think, worth a thread on it's own.
LGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:02 AM   #23
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
I have only recently started using Sigil and am still finding my way around it. I'd say go for it as long as it does not drag down the performance of the product.

I definitely believe that most folks have no idea how many hours it takes to produce a useful product but just love the idea of finding and trying something for free. For the most part, those that continue to use the product have no problems with remuneration for the developer. That's why I like and support Calibre's "donate" button. It benefits us all if the product continues to evolve because it is worth the developers time and energy.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:32 AM   #24
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by crutledge View Post
I agree with everything you said. Perhaps you have a case of mid-winter blues.

Keep your vision for Sigil and make those changes which are truly bugs or fit into your vision. Answer the "Pink Screen" with a recommendation for a CSS entry.

I do have one change request to go along with this.

Take a page from Calibre and insert a "Donate to Sigil" selection. I for one am agreeable to donating especially when a new version is delivered.

Remember what we were told in the Army:

"Cheer up! Things could get worse.
So we cheered up and, sure enough, things got worse."

Keep the faith, baby.
I agree with Crutledge--take it a step further and put that donate button up there. I mean, crap, speaking of pink-and-gold and bidets (we were discussing bidets, right?), if people are so douche-y that they use your project and can't be bothered to go to Sigil's development blog and develop a little honor of their own, nag 'em. Or for that matter, charge for it. Maybe have different licenses, if that floats your boat; folks like Crutledge, who donate so many books get it for free, folks like me who use it commercially pay, whatever.

I'm all for it. It's an excellent editing tool, and I'd be much slower without it. MUCH.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:51 AM   #25
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Being nosey

Valloric,

I remember reading on your development site that you had problems with donations because some outfit did not want to send money to your location so I stayed away. I just checked again and found PayPal. I assume that all is now OK?

Now for the great mystery.

Who is Strahinja Markovic and where is he?

Only the SHADOW KNOWS. Note: This is probably before everyone else's time.

I made a small donation so guys, get with it. The donation link is on the developer's site.

Charlie
Old 01-04-2011, 11:32 AM   #26
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
I remember reading on your development site that you had problems with donations because some outfit did not want to send money to your location so I stayed away. I just checked again and found PayPal. I assume that all is now OK?
Are you referring to this post? In the same stickied thread, two posts down is this post.

In other words, yes, it's ok to use PayPal to donate.

Quote:
Now for the great mystery.

Who is Strahinja Markovic and where is he?

Only the SHADOW KNOWS. Note: This is probably before everyone else's time.
Everyone knows who the Shadow is. You're not that old.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:11 PM   #27
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
Are you referring to this post? In the same stickied thread, two posts down is this post.

In other words, yes, it's ok to use PayPal to donate.

Everyone knows who the Shadow is. You're not that old.
I caught the end few years of the Radio series before TV ruined things
Shadow, Lone Ranger, Mystery Theatre were my standard fare. I could get New York and Cleveland on my Crystal set (Yes, No Tubes or Transistors. I did 'cheat': mine had a sealed Germanium Diode). The 50's were not THAT long ago
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:11 PM   #28
crutledge
eBook FANatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Shadow, Lone Ranger, Mystery Theatre were my standard fare. I could get New York and Cleveland on my Crystal set (Yes, No Tubes or Transistors. I did 'cheat': mine had a sealed Germanium Diode). The 50's were not THAT long ago
Ahhh! The GOOD OLD DAYS.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:22 PM   #29
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You can still get all of those old shows. There is a satellite channel devoted to them or you can buy them on CD's or download MP3's.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:48 PM   #30
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The people from OpenCandy approached me about adding their toolbars to the calibre windows installer and I turned them down. My reasons were the following (and please note that I am not implying these reasons are valid for you):

1. I do not like having a closed source component from a third party in calibre. I have no way to know what exactly that component does.

2. I absolutely abhor having to spend time on pointless things like clicking Next buttons. calibre's installer is designed to be a single click (after you accept the license) to install, unless you want to use it in Advanced mode.

3. As far as I understood it, the OC component requires a network connection to work.

4. I would, like you, have made it default off, in which case (I imagine), the number of installs, and hence the revenue would fall off drastically. Certainly, personally, I would never click on an add in an installer.

5. People using calibre are incredibly generous and I actually get enough money from donations to work full time on it.

Whether you choose to add the OC component or not, I would urge you to make it easier to donate to Sigil. In particular, have a donate link on the download page and a donate button in the application itself. People may surprise you.

Coming to your points about features. I agree wholeheartedly, the hardest part of my work is turning down enthusiastic contributors. You should maybe consider embedding a scripted language interpreter in Sigil to enable plugins. It's a lot of work, true, but it will payoff in the long term.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote