Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-23-2023, 11:08 PM   #1
ThatLibraryRat
ThatLibraryRat will become famous soon enoughThatLibraryRat will become famous soon enoughThatLibraryRat will become famous soon enoughThatLibraryRat will become famous soon enoughThatLibraryRat will become famous soon enoughThatLibraryRat will become famous soon enoughThatLibraryRat will become famous soon enough

Device: Bookeen Frontlite Muse
Help needed for my next Ereader purchase

Hello!
I need help with my purchase for my third ereader.

I had the Sony PRST1 that was fantastic (it was basically only missing the backlight function) but the screen died. I replaced it with a Bookeen but that one was so slow it was a chore to even turn it on (at least 5min to turn on from turned off) so I used it less and now it's dead.

I am now totally out of the game and I don't want to feel guilty like I wasted money with the Bookeen.

Absolute needs:
I want an ereader that is decently fast (I am willing to wait 30s for it to turn on if the navigation once in a book or the web is fluid), has wifi, adjustable back lightning (to weak, I often read in darkened spaces), has a long use life before needing to be replaced and adjustable margins and font.
Not Amazon environment, I read a decent amount of fanfics so something easy to just drop the files in with Calibre please and I hate Amazon as a corporation so I'd rather not get into their ecosystem or give them money.

Options that would be very appreciated:
An SD slot to extend the memory, being able to turn the ereader to French, a size that is easy to carry around and not exceptionally weighty (I read for long stretches XD ), 4h+ of use before needing a recharge

Options that would be nice to have but are flourish:
a button to go to the next page

That's all, thank you for reading until the end !
ThatLibraryRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 04:37 PM   #2
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
It sounds like you want the Kobo Libra 2. It's on the smaller side (7"), it has page turn buttons, it supports French, it's not an Amazon device, and Kobo has the best Calibre integration of the various e-reader manufacturers. It's also reasonably snappy and has a dual front light. The battery will give you maybe 40 hours of reading per charge, which is far above your 4 hour battery life target. You could get the Clara 2E if you want a smaller (6") and lighter device, but you lose out on the page turn buttons.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 04:45 PM   #3
Leyor
Ninja Librarian
Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Cybook 3. gen, Sony T1, Kindle Paperwhite
You may be happy with a Kobo Libra 2.
It is fast, have backlight, have French OS and also allows you to listen to Audiobooks and is water proof.
It is not very heavy and easy to carry around.

The only thing its missing is the SD card, it has 32GB inbuilt.
Leyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 03:05 PM   #4
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatLibraryRat View Post
An SD slot to extend the memory, being able to turn the ereader to French, a size that is easy to carry around and not exceptionally weighty (I read for long stretches XD ), 4h+ of use before needing a recharge

The only devices with these capabilities are Boox Leaf 2 and its successor Boox Page
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 06:11 AM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:

Sounds like a PocketBook Touch Lux 5 would meet your needs, if you don't mind a 212 dpi screen. It has page turn buttons, good battery life, front-lit screen with warm light and a microSD for expansion. If you want to wait a few days (September 28th in the U.S. at Amazon) you can buy its "coming soon" replacement, the PocketBook Verse. It looks to be pretty much the same, but with a USB C port (I believe) and a different case design. Supposedly uses (up to) a 128GB microSD card.

https://www.amazon.com/PocketBook-Ey...3-786e4cdc8f10
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 09:45 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
IMHO, the best choice of the ones mentioned is the Kobo Libra 2.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 12:03 PM   #7
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (ed 2, v1), Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra 2
Kobo Libra 2 FTW
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 04:51 PM   #8
rumplestiltskin
Connoisseur
rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: FireHD8, iPad
I'm going to be a contrarian simply to expand horizons. I abandoned e-ink devices some years ago as I found contrast and sharpness lacking, background "color" virtually nonexistent, and the "front-lighting" LEDs providing more glare than actual lighting of the screen.

I bought an 8" Kindle Fire (yeah, I know, it's not e-ink) and all of the above deficiencies weren't present. Yes, it's heavier than an e-ink Kindle (but it's an 8" screen which Amazon doesn't offer). I'm sure an e-ink Kindle gets longer battery life but that hasn't been an issue as it uses the same charger/USBC as my phone and, as my phone needs to be charged daily, I don't mind plugging in the Fire for a few hours weekly. I read with the sepia background and that is easy on the eyes. I read in open shade outdoors and do have to slide up the brightness almost all the way; however, once back inside, I can drop the brightness by half and can read for hours without eyestrain.

I did look at the Scribe (online only at this point) as the screen size of 10+ inches is intriguing but the cost is prohibitive considering I only want a reader and not a note-taker. Maybe Amazon will recognize a need for such a beastie at, let's say, $199. No, I'm not smoking weed. Until then, I'll stick with the 8" Fire.
rumplestiltskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 07:32 AM   #9
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

Absolute needs:
I want an ereader that is decently fast (I am willing to wait 30s for it to turn on if the navigation once in a book or the web is fluid), has wifi, adjustable back lightning (to weak, I often read in darkened spaces), has a long use life before needing to be replaced and adjustable margins and font.
Not Amazon environment, I read a decent amount of fanfics so something easy to just drop the files in with Calibre please and I hate Amazon as a corporation so I'd rather not get into their ecosystem or give them money.

In general, I don't think most people would describe web browsing on Kobos as fluid.

I think most people would say don't use the web browser on Kobos (and Kindles) unless you have no other choice and be prepared for a frustrating experience.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 08:38 AM   #10
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumplestiltskin View Post
I'm going to be a contrarian simply to expand horizons. .
It's not very contrarian - I'm constantly recommending tablets to people who want fast web browing or fluid PDF reading on their device. OP: you're describing a tablet, not an e-ink reader.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 09:45 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I bought an 8" Kindle Fire
Please do not call it a Kindle. Amazon originally called the 1st gen tablet(s) Kindle Fire and that caused all kinds of confusion. Now they are just called Fire Tablets.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 12:43 PM   #12
nabsltd
Evangelist
nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th gen), Scribe
Quote:
I did look at the Scribe (online only at this point) as the screen size of 10+ inches is intriguing but the cost is prohibitive considering I only want a reader and not a note-taker. Maybe Amazon will recognize a need for such a beastie at, let's say, $199.
I paid $237 for a 32GB Scribe plus cover bundle the last Prime Day. The only thing I did that was a bit complicated was buy a "renewed" Kindle from Woot for $25, and then use that as a trade-in to get 20% off the Scribe bundle. Amazon gave me back the full $25 when they received the trade-in.

I could have easily gotten a 16GB model for under $200 using this trick.
nabsltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2023, 02:29 AM   #13
rumplestiltskin
Connoisseur
rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: FireHD8, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabsltd View Post
I paid $237 for a 32GB Scribe plus cover bundle the last Prime Day. The only thing I did that was a bit complicated was buy a "renewed" Kindle from Woot for $25, and then use that as a trade-in to get 20% off the Scribe bundle. Amazon gave me back the full $25 when they received the trade-in.

I could have easily gotten a 16GB model for under $200 using this trick.
That was brilliant.👍 I'll have to play with a Scribe before dropping the cash (umm...credit card) just to see if the e-ink deficiencies I noted have been resolved. Thanks.
rumplestiltskin is offline   Reply With Quote