Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-20-2023, 04:27 PM   #1
Multics
Enthusiast
Multics knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Multics knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Multics knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Multics knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Multics knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Multics knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Multics knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Multics knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Multics knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Multics knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Multics knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: SONY PRS-T1
Is the KOBO Clara 2E Right?

I'm think of upgrading from the SONY TRS-P1 to the kobo Clara-2E It seems to have all the features I want. Where do you get the kobo utilities? I didn't see any mention on the Rokaton kobo site. https://us.kobobooks.com/
Multics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 04:54 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Kobo Utilities is a Calibre plugin. If you don't use Calibre, it's irrelevant to you.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 05:03 PM   #3
Multics
Enthusiast
Multics knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Multics knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Multics knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Multics knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Multics knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Multics knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Multics knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Multics knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Multics knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Multics knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Multics knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

I use Calibre

Calibre is where I store all my books before downloading them.
Old 08-20-2023, 05:17 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
See this thread for the [GUI Plugin] Kobo Utilities plugin.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 05:57 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multics View Post
I'm think of upgrading from the SONY TRS-P1 to the kobo Clara-2E It seems to have all the features I want. Where do you get the kobo utilities? I didn't see any mention on the Rokaton kobo site. https://us.kobobooks.com/
It's both an upgrade and a sidegrade. For a true upgrade, the Kobo Libra 2 is it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 08:00 AM   #6
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's both an upgrade and a sidegrade. For a true upgrade, the Kobo Libra 2 is it.
So the Clara 2E is better, because it is both an upgrade AND a sidegrade, while the Libra 2 is ONLY an upgrade.

Wouldn't it depend on the OP's wants?

If they like the size of the Sony, the Libra 2 would be a downgrade.
If they like the weight of the Sony, the Libra 2 would be a downgrade.
The ergonomics of the Libra 2 may be a downgrade.

I recently went from a Forma to Clara 2E, and like it. I would consider the Clara 2E an upgrade to the PRS-T1.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 07:45 PM   #7
Multics
Enthusiast

KOBO Clara 2E

My Clara 2E just arrived and the kobo utilities puked. It appears that KOBO updated the database and the Utilities are no longer compatible. The Clara 2E is running:

calibre, version 6.7.1
WARNING: Failed: Kobo database version unsupported - See details

Your Kobo is running an updated firmware/database version. As calibre does not know about this updated firmware, database editing is disabled, to prevent corruption. You can still send books to your Kobo with calibre, but deleting books and managing collections is disabled. If you are willing to experiment and know how to reset your Kobo to Factory defaults, you can override this check by right clicking the device icon in calibre and selecting "Configure this device" and then the "Attempt to support newer firmware" option. Doing so may require you to perform a Factory reset of your Kobo.

Discussion of any new Kobo firmware can be found in the Kobo forum at MobileRead. This is at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=223.

Device database version: 174.
Device firmware version: 4.37.21586
Old 09-03-2023, 09:08 PM   #8
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multics View Post
My Clara 2E just arrived and the kobo utilities puked. It appears that KOBO updated the database and the Utilities are no longer compatible. The Clara 2E is running:

calibre, version 6.7.1
WARNING: Failed: Kobo database version unsupported - See details
6.7.1 is almost a year old version. That's pretty ancient. Update your Calibre.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clara, kobo