Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 11-25-2019, 03:59 PM   #16
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroni View Post
yes they all have a surrounding <div class="figure">

Unfortunately not. They differ in pixel size like 400*80 or 401*80 or 402*79 and so on. And even if they have the same dimension, the picture itself is not exactly at the same position in the canvas - resulting in slightly different file size.
You don't worry about (that ) Size. as long as you can identify ONLY those fleurons.
OTOH even if the trigger is not exclusive: Search Either Replace-next or Search (a skip) again Have the preview pane visible . It is amazing how fast you can bounce thru 50 uses
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 04:29 PM   #17
BeckyEbook
Guru
BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Misc
OK. Improved version.
It works in two ways:
a) if the file is identical, it will of course change the name of the other files to the reference name.
b) if the file is not identical but has a width that is in the range given - it will also change its name to the reference name.

If "Width From" or "Width To" is 0, point b) will not be taken into account.
Attached Files
File Type: zip TheSameImage_v0.0.5.zip (20.3 KB, 122 views)
BeckyEbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 06:37 PM   #18
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Unfortunately not. They differ in pixel size like 400*80 or 401*80 or 402*79 and so on. And even if they have the same dimension, the picture itself is not exactly at the same position in the canvas - resulting in slightly different file size.
In this case, I would also run ImageMagick's -trim on it, similar to what I did in this thread (Posts #6-7):

Converting pdf to png images

That would crop out that surrounding whitespace.

(This is the one and only time I unzip an EPUB manually, run conversion on the images, then drag/drop the corrected images back into the EPUB, then reopen in Sigil.)
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 07:04 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
In this case, I would also run ImageMagick's -trim on it, similar to what I did in this thread (Posts #6-7):

Converting pdf to png images

That would crop out that surrounding whitespace.

(This is the one and only time I unzip an EPUB manually, run conversion on the images, then drag/drop the corrected images back into the EPUB, then reopen in Sigil.)
You can crop out the whitespace using Calibre's editor.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 08:45 PM   #20
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You can crop out the whitespace using Calibre's editor.
Didn't know this was functionality built in. How do you do it?
Old 11-25-2019, 09:16 PM   #21
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Didn't know this was functionality built in. How do you do it?
In the book editor (AZw3 or EPUB), Open the image file. there will be basic image tools on the section toolbar

You can also open the image from the code usage by right clicking.
Old 11-25-2019, 09:53 PM   #22
Tex2002ans
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
In the book editor (AZw3 or EPUB), Open the image file. there will be basic image tools on the section toolbar

You can also open the image from the code usage by right clicking.
Thanks. Didn't know that was possible.

But I just tested, and it looks like it's only manual. You have to manually drag a box and tell Calibre to trim.

Having to do that for every fleuron?

Imagemagick's -trim is automated.

Complete Side Note: I was just looking in The Expanse books... and they have a 91x69px fleuron of a little lightning bolt... 80.7 KB JPG... I was able to convert to 1.2 KB PNG... talk about unoptimized! It's ~6% of the total size of the book!
Old 11-25-2019, 10:10 PM   #23
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Thanks. Didn't know that was possible.

But I just tested, and it looks like it's only manual. You have to manually drag a box and tell Calibre to trim.

Having to do that for every fleuron?

Imagemagick's -trim is automated.

Complete Side Note: I was just looking in The Expanse books... and they have a 91x69px fleuron of a little lightning bolt... 80.7 KB JPG... I was able to convert to 1.2 KB PNG... talk about unoptimized! It's ~6% of the total size of the book!
It amazes me the amount of inefficient garbage being sold out there.
You can really tell the folk who don't know what they are doing by the variety :^) of styling between chapters
Old 11-26-2019, 03:18 AM   #24
Vroni
Banned
Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Tolino/PRS 650/Tablet
Quote:
even if the trigger is not exclusive: Search Either Replace-next or Search (a skip) again Have the preview pane visible . It is amazing how fast you can bounce thru 50 uses
Hmmm, ok renaming one of the fleuron to be the master. Then search img(\d+)\.jpg, and cycle through them. First match. No indication available, so replace and watch the preview pane. Oops, that wasnt a fleuron. So click into codeview and hit cmd-z. Click on Find again. Click on Replace. Damn. Again a Non-fleuron. Click into code view (as search window has the focus and CMD-z is not doing an undo if the focus is not helkd by the code view window.

And so on and so on. If you have 200 pictures, and 70 of them are the same fleuron stored multipls times, this is a boring, error-prone manual work. If this happens once ore twice, i wouldnt have thought about another solution. And i'm not the only one having this cases.

And I find it highly interesting how other people deal with Sigil. For example, I would never have thought of deleting the images in the report and sorting them out by renaming them.
Vroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 09:25 PM   #25
Tex2002ans
Wizard

Quote:
No indication available, so replace and watch the preview pane. Oops, that wasnt a fleuron.
In Code View, you can also Right-Click an image's filename and View Image or Open Tab for Image:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sigil.Code.View.Right.Click.Image.png
Views:	132
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	175156

If you "Open Tab", it'll highlight the file in the Book Browser too, so you can easily know which one to rename:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sigil.Book.Browser.Highlight.png
Views:	118
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	175157

(This is one thing Sigil does WAY better than Calibre's Editor. When you have a huge list of files+images, Sigil keeps the active one visible within Book Browser at all times.)

(And with drag/droppable tabs back in Sigil [yay!], it makes sorting through a mess of files like this much easier. )

Quote:
So click into codeview and hit cmd-z. Click on Find again. Click on Replace. Damn. Again a Non-fleuron. Click into code view (as search window has the focus and CMD-z is not doing an undo if the focus is not helkd by the code view window.
I agree though that syncing while clicking between Preview/Code View is... very subpar.

It's one of the handful of reasons why I much preferred Book View over Preview.

Quote:
And I find it highly interesting how other people deal with Sigil. For example, I would never have thought of deleting the images in the report and sorting them out by renaming them.

It's why it's always good to have discussions on these forums, then everyone puts their minds together and figures out the best ways and learns together.

Quote:
It amazes me the amount of inefficient garbage being sold out there.
Looks like it was just a ton of buried EXIF + XMP metadata (probably Photoshop bloat from Print in order to recreate the original high-resolution file). I don't know enough about image metadata to rip it out in a human-readable way.

Quote:
You can really tell the folk who don't know what they are doing by the variety :^) of styling between chapters
Reminds me of a conversion I did years ago. It was hundreds of articles with an "end mark" or "tombstone" at the end ∎:

https://www.fonts.com/content/learni...yphs/end-marks
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tombstone_(typography)

Seems like it's a print-holdover thing...

Well, in the ebook, the conversion company decided to have microscopic-sized JPGs. Hundreds and hundreds of them... every article had its own "unique" black square.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 11-26-2019 at 09:36 PM.
Old 11-26-2019, 10:04 PM   #26
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Please note that individual graphics are often used to "watermark" some epubs in order to originally identify who the book was sold too. Information can also be encoded right into the pixel values themselves (steganography) that can not be detected visually, and further "watermarks" can be also be found in hex css fields such as colour values.

I have found 2 books that used multiple ways to hide their "watermarking". Never understood why on earth you would hide a watermark but .... could this be one of those rare cases?

Last edited by KevinH; 11-26-2019 at 10:07 PM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 11:20 PM   #27
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Please note that individual graphics are often used to "watermark" some epubs in order to originally identify who the book was sold too. Information can also be encoded right into the pixel values themselves (steganography) that can not be detected visually, and further "watermarks" can be also be found in hex css fields such as colour values.

I have found 2 books that used multiple ways to hide their "watermarking". Never understood why on earth you would hide a watermark but .... could this be one of those rare cases?
To keep the buyer from removing it. ;-) (Seriously, that's why.)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 11:42 PM   #28
Tex2002ans
Wizard

Quote:
Please note that individual graphics are often used to "watermark" some epubs in order to originally identify who the book was sold too.
Hmmm... do you happen to recall which sites/stores you noticed this from?

I don't believe any major retailers do such a thing, and just host the same exact file to send to all customers.

All I recall is reading about it every so often, like in this The Digital Reader article:

https://the-digital-reader.com/2016/...watermark-drm/

Quote:
In addition to adding a unique serial number to the names of files found inside the Epub ebook, Booxtream also embeds the original buyer's name and email on the title page as well as in a footer at the end of each chapter. The digital watermarks can also be found in image metadata and the CSS file, and there's a time stamp which records the specific time the original ebook was downloaded.
Quote:
I acquired another copy and compared it to my Kobo version. Nope, exact same image.

If anything, these kinds of things just cause savvy pirates to purchase 2 separate copies, then compare both files together to see exactly what's changed.

Quote:
Never understood why on earth you would hide a watermark
Used all the time in those huge movie leaks and catching pirates who release screeners (like the movies they send to judges for award shows):

https://torrentfreak.com/replacing-d...irates-190126/
https://torrentfreak.com/oscars-scre...me-low-190226/

Definitely much easier to hide robust watermarks in images/video though... but ebooks?

Things like Calibre EPUB->EPUB or MOBI->EPUB conversions can remove a lot of that cruft.
Old 11-28-2019, 08:53 PM   #29
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
Quote:
i have an epub with tons of pictures. Round about 50% is just a fleuron, and all of them are the same.

The filenames are all numbered in sequence, so there is no chance to identify a picture by its name.
I do this semi-manually using Irfanview (on Windows).
I've set Irfanview up as an "open with" program for images in Sigil.
So I open any image. Now I press "T" to open the thumbnail viewer, which shows all the images in the temp folder that Sigil has unzipped the images to. Then I can look at the names and images and see if there is a pattern.
If there is a sequence of filenames all the same image, I can select them in Sigil's file list and rename them to "f01" which will name them all in a sequence. Then back to Irfanview's thumbnails, press "F5" and it refreshes to show the new names. Keep doing that till I have all the fleurons renamed. Then I look at the images closely, see if they are identical, if not choose a good one to be the unique one, name it "fleuron".
Back in Sigil, do a regex s&r to convert all the f\d\d\.jpg to fleuron.jpg.

Tools/delete unused media files. Refresh the thumbnail view to see if I got them all.

While we're doing fleurons, I use Irfanview to clean them up. I have Photoshop, but Irfanview is simpler and faster.

Mostly the fleuron comes as a JPEG, often 24 bit, colour.
If it's linework, I rename the file to "Fleuron.gif", then "open with" Irfanview. It complains the format is wrong, I ignore that.
Image/Convert to greyscale.
If it needs it, "Sharpen".
Or Image/Colour corrections and adjust gamma and contrast.
Then "Image/Reduce colour depth". 4 colours is usually enough. If there are greys, 16. Or 2 colours if it's really simple, like a box. Just control-Z if it pixellates and use a higher number.
Now "Image/Palette/Edit palette" and make sure the "black" is pure black. (RGB 0 0 0), and white is (255 255 255).
And you can use F12 to get a very simple painting tools to tidy it up.

Now save (not "save as").
Since you've changed the format, in the OPF change
media-type="image/jpeg"/ to media-type="image/gif"/

-- I use GIF since it is very compact and lossless, and is compatible with Kindle; convert with Kindlegen and it is unchanged. PNGs get converted sometimes to GIF, or sometimes to JPEG, all larger and usually blurrier than the original.

If the fleuron image has a lot of tones, like photo, so better to keep as JPEG. You can use Irfanview's "Options/Lossless crop" to trim it without degrading the image. That will leave a backup image in the temp folder, but Sigil will discard it after you close and reopen the file as it is unmanifested. Or you can refresh Irfan's thumbnails and delete it there.

Unifying the dupes not only reduces the epub filesize by often half, it also make editing the file simpler, if you have 100 fewer files to deal with.

If there are several images I want to edit I will extract them and then reimport, and I can use Irfanview's batch operations to clean up groups of images (e.g., drop caps) en masse.

Last edited by AlanHK; 11-28-2019 at 11:54 PM.
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 07:16 AM   #30
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Did this reduce the file size by a significant amount?
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote