Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-27-2017, 08:52 PM   #556
Jason90
Addict
Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Hi I just got this Kobo but i'm having trouble connecting it to my windows 10 laptop.

I have the latest creators update and when I connect the Kobo via usb it says on the Kobo it's connected and charging but nothing is showing up on the laptop, no directory for me to transfer books.

Any help? Thanks
Jason90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 10:57 PM   #557
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
USB 2 or 3 port?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2017, 10:26 AM   #558
Jason90
Addict
Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Nevermind I used the usb cable that came boxed with the kobo and it now detects it!

I used my blackberry usb cable and it wouldn't mount the kobo, strange but happy it works now , thx for the reply peter
Jason90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 05:04 AM   #559
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Question images cleaning

After some vacillation, I just bought the H2o2 as a complement to the One - I find the 6" Glo HD is too small for me to read on nowadays though it is the best Kobo I've had otherwise (responsive and sharp screen thanks to IR), and the original H2o is heavy and awkward to hold, not to speak of no comfort light and annoying port cover, and has only 4 Gb which means I can't load all the books I have on the One.

All in all, I like the H2o2: much more comfortable to hold than the original, lighter, good screen, better casing than the One, and the 265 dpi is not a problem. But I won't be using it at night because I dislike the lemon tinge of the comfort light, and even by day with comfort light at 0, I find that that the light is lemon-y, and that the maximum is much darker than the One's.

I will mostly use it in transit or when I have to charge the One, and it might come in handy if my arthritic hands play up.

One thing surprised me: I uploaded all the books I have on the One except for 65 PDFs which add up to 340 Mb, and the available space is 2.6 Gb on the H2o2 and 1.4 Gb on the One. I cataloged the disks and found that the differences is in .kobo-images: 0.7 Gb instead of 1.7 Gb. I often use Kobo Utilities to clean off extra covers so I wonder - is it that images are created when I open books? Is there a way to eliminate all images and reload them to get 1 Gb extra when I am short (I added 0.4 Gb's worth of books in the last 5 months)?
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:29 AM   #560
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
After some vacillation, I just bought the H2o2 as a complement to the One - I find the 6" Glo HD is too small for me to read on nowadays though it is the best Kobo I've had otherwise (responsive and sharp screen thanks to IR), and the original H2o is heavy and awkward to hold, not to speak of no comfort light and annoying port cover, and has only 4 Gb which means I can't load all the books I have on the One.
That's fairly close to my thoughts about the difference devices. And I had been wondering if the Aura H2O2 would be easier to hold than the original Aura H2O.
Quote:
All in all, I like the H2o2: much more comfortable to hold than the original, lighter, good screen, better casing than the One, and the 265 dpi is not a problem. But I won't be using it at night because I dislike the lemon tinge of the comfort light, and even by day with comfort light at 0, I find that that the light is lemon-y, and that the maximum is much darker than the One's.

I will mostly use it in transit or when I have to charge the One, and it might come in handy if my arthritic hands play up.

One thing surprised me: I uploaded all the books I have on the One except for 65 PDFs which add up to 340 Mb, and the available space is 2.6 Gb on the H2o2 and 1.4 Gb on the One. I cataloged the disks and found that the differences is in .kobo-images: 0.7 Gb instead of 1.7 Gb. I often use Kobo Utilities to clean off extra covers so I wonder - is it that images are created when I open books? Is there a way to eliminate all images and reload them to get 1 Gb extra when I am short (I added 0.4 Gb's worth of books in the last 5 months)?
Yes, the cover images on the Aura ONE will be bigger. The resolution is much bigger, so the files will be as well. So, the space difference makes sense.

Unless you are sending the covers to the device with calibre, the device generates the covers as needed. It can generate them in three sizes. Basically, when you look at the book in the library, the cover for the list will be generated. But, it seems to generate the full size cover and then resizes that for the list. The third size is used for the details page, so it won't exist as often.

The Kobo Utilities plugin has an option to delete covers from the device. It will delete all three sizes for the selected books. But that means that the covers will be generated when you go through the library list and that will be slower. If you have a lot of books on the device it will save space until you do something that generates the cover again.

I have actually been thinking of this in the last few days. I'm pretty sure that if I delete the full size cover after the smaller covers have been generated, it will be regenerated when you read the book. That will save space and keep the performance. I have to do some experimenting, but if it works, I will add options to the cover deletion in the plugin to do this, and probably to the KoboTouch driver to only generate the smaller sizes and send them to the device. I think it will work, but I haven't done the experiments yet.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2017, 06:55 AM   #561
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Yes, the cover images on the Aura ONE will be bigger. The resolution is much bigger, so the files will be as well. So, the space difference makes sense.

Unless you are sending the covers to the device with calibre, the device generates the covers as needed. It can generate them in three sizes. Basically, when you look at the book in the library, the cover for the list will be generated. But, it seems to generate the full size cover and then resizes that for the list. The third size is used for the details page, so it won't exist as often.

The Kobo Utilities plugin has an option to delete covers from the device. It will delete all three sizes for the selected books. But that means that the covers will be generated when you go through the library list and that will be slower. If you have a lot of books on the device it will save space until you do something that generates the cover again.

I have actually been thinking of this in the last few days. I'm pretty sure that if I delete the full size cover after the smaller covers have been generated, it will be regenerated when you read the book. That will save space and keep the performance. I have to do some experimenting, but if it works, I will add options to the cover deletion in the plugin to do this, and probably to the KoboTouch driver to only generate the smaller sizes and send them to the device. I think it will work, but I haven't done the experiments yet.
I'm looking forward to the results of your experiments.
Best.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:24 AM   #562
anacreon
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
After some vacillation, I just bought the H2o2 as a complement to the One ...

I just exchanged my old One for a brand new because it wasn't recognized by any PC any more - I'm lucky the European guarantee is now 2 years, since it was 13 months old.

And now, after reloading all my books plus a few new ones, the available space is 2 Gb instead of 1.4 Gb before...
Old 09-26-2017, 10:41 AM   #563
dura
Groupie
dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O (2th edition), Kindle PW11
I managed to drown my Aura (1th edition, with the red power button) in the bath, so I needed a new reader.
Waterproof suddenly seemed a very good idea so I went with the H2O, 2th edition.
I must say I'm really pleased with it; waterproof obviously, but the bigger screen reads remarkably more easy, considering it is only a little step up, size wise.
It feels like my eyes make more horizontal jumps, but I could be imagining things.

The screen itself looks a little bit sharper and the white seems slightly less gray then my old Aura, and the blue/orange light is a very nice touch. It also responds faster.

The housing feels good in the hand, I love the power button on the back as opposed to the slider on the top on the old Aura. The bezels are still quite large and I would have loved to have a smaller, more premium housing (from aluminium f.i.) and physical page buttons, but generally I'm very satisfied with it and consider it a step up from the Aura, as it should be, since it is more expensive.
dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 08:30 AM   #564
markyisri
Connoisseur
markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dura View Post
I managed to drown my Aura (1th edition, with the red power button) in the bath, so I needed a new reader.
Waterproof suddenly seemed a very good idea so I went with the H2O, 2th edition.
How did you drown it?
markyisri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 01:57 PM   #565
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Reading with a non-waterproof device while taking a bath id a really bad idea.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 09:20 PM   #566
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Reading with a non-waterproof device while taking a bath id a really bad idea.
Not if the real purpose is to justify a buying the latest device.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 07:03 AM   #567
dura
Groupie
dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O (2th edition), Kindle PW11
Quote:
Originally Posted by markyisri View Post
How did you drown it?
Was this not clear enough?:
Quote:
I managed to drown my Aura (1th edition, with the red power button) in the bath
Ok, after a hard and mean fight I finally managed to get it completely underwater and held it there, despite it sending out distress signals and doing everything it could to get free. But i was too strong..bubbles emerged, one time, two times, after the thirth time, it went limp. I kept it under water for some time just to be sure, then got it out and dessected it. Then I got rid of the remains, in a garbage bag that went in an underground depot. Right now I'm rather confident no one will ever find the body, and if they do, they won't be able to link it to me.

seriously, it slipped out of my fingers and felt in the bath water. I got it out and dried it, 2 days later the screen started to respond again, but whatever I tried, it wouldn't charge anymore so it had to be replaced.
dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 08:17 AM   #568
markyisri
Connoisseur
markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Was this not clear enough?:

Ok, after a hard and mean fight I finally managed to get it completely underwater and held it there, despite it sending out distress signals and doing everything it could to get free. But i was too strong..bubbles emerged, one time, two times, after the thirth time, it went limp. I kept it under water for some time just to be sure, then got it out and dessected it. Then I got rid of the remains, in a garbage bag that went in an underground depot. Right now I'm rather confident no one will ever find the body, and if they do, they won't be able to link it to me.

seriously, it slipped out of my fingers and felt in the bath water. I got it out and dried it, 2 days later the screen started to respond again, but whatever I tried, it wouldn't charge anymore so it had to be replaced.
Ah, I missed the word "bath" at the end of the original sentence. Doh!

Nice storywriting skills!
Old 10-08-2017, 12:47 PM   #569
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
it wouldn't charge anymore so it had to be replaced.
I wonder if the device is OK but the battery is toast. Might be possible to replace the battery?
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 06:49 AM   #570
markyisri
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by compurandom View Post
I wonder if the device is OK but the battery is toast. Might be possible to replace the battery?
If a Kobo device's battery is removed or non-working, the device should still power on when plugged in.

Of course, given the fact that the battery was soaked in water, it might be a wise idea to remove it before it starts a fire.